Thread: ABS dilema.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

ABS dilema.

Here's a new one, and yes i know i'm only posting in the firebird thread. but today when out today in the snow in my 98 ls1 m6 i noticed that when the ABS activates, my car's entire electrical system flickers, start up sequence begins in the cluster, the trip odo resets, tcs turns back on, and then all is fine.

So I'm guessing a short somewhere?

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

I would say, but good luck finding that one. Normally you could start by pulling fuses but anything pertaining to ABS is going to disable the system so that will be pointless. Your going to need at minimum a wiring diagram to see what is shared with the cluster and gauges or you may just have to trace each wire one by one. Could be a cluster problem too, the wiring for the ABS and the traction control run through the cluster. Any way you go about it is going to be a tough one.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcuffs View Post
    I would say, but good luck finding that one. Normally you could start by pulling fuses but anything pertaining to ABS is going to disable the system so that will be pointless. Your going to need at minimum a wiring diagram to see what is shared with the cluster and gauges or you may just have to trace each wire one by one. Could be a cluster problem too, the wiring for the ABS and the traction control run through the cluster. Any way you go about it is going to be a tough one.
    good to know they both run thru the cluster, but basically i'm with you. I need to start tracing wires and see where they possible bump, etc. Or just ditch the ABS and TCS when i put in a 9.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would start with the electrical connectors for the ABS -- make sure they are fully seated and not corroded. Also, check any grounds in that area to ensure that they are tight and have good contact. Has there been any work underhood or added electrical accessories, such as aftermarket amplifiers, that may have inadvertently been tapped into the ABS power supply circuit? Let us know what you find.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I would also blame the connectors at the wheels. My car has always done weird stuff off an on in the snow. Water combined with that cold plays tricks on the ABS system in my 98.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

if your entire electrical system flickers then I would check to make sure the battey cables are tight and clean. Also check all major ground and power connections. Could also be weak alternator output.

Thread Information