dark blue
    2000 z28 a4

Abs acting funny

ok so this is what is happening . when i brake hard my steering wheel kicks to the right and my ABS INOP is on. so i bring it to fire stone and they tell me i need $2300.00 of work and parts done. they are saying that i need a new abs module and a new "lo ctrl arm bush/kit". so i ask you all can i pull my ABS fuses to turn off my ABS. what fuses do i pull and what will happen when i drive with these fuses pulled. also if you think that the ABS is not what is wrong then can i pull the fuses to test to see if truely need a new abs module and a new "lo ctrl arm bush/kit"

Black
    99 SS

lower control arm bush kit, lol if that is the case then just buy new lower control arms, and take the abs off, i dont have abs on my car and dont have a problem not worth 2,300 imo.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Well you don't need to
    Pull fuse to turn your abs off because when the lights on that means it's not working so it is off. But a pull to the right sounds like a brake issue, maybe. the left caliper is seized and won't apply correctly. And lower control arm bushing just go bad get old and worn out. Hope this helps a little.
    Last edited by zmg00camaross; 07-15-2009 at 07:15 AM.

dark blue
    2000 z28 a4

there are like four fuses with ABS on them which ones do i pull to turn the ABS off ? and what will happen with my brakeing with the ABS turned off? and i do not think it is the caliper firestone pull new ones on and it still pulls to the right. Is firestone trying to screw me? I asked about pulling the fuses they said do not do it!
    Last edited by JayDe; 07-15-2009 at 08:32 AM.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

If the abs light is on then the abs has a fault and is not work or turn off that is what the light is for telling you it is turn off or not working. The bad lower control arms could be the pull when applying the brakes

dark blue
    2000 z28 a4

so if the ABS light is on that means the ABS is not working at all. there is no chance that it could be just malfuctioning and just grabing on one side cuz it dose this when i brake hard like when the abs should kick in.and i would like to know what fuses to pull to turn off the ABS so i can test it for my self.. if i turn off the ABS and it still pulls then it maybe the ctrl arm so ill get it fix and if it still dose it then i know it is not the arm or the ABS right?

white
    1998 ta

first off dont take it to firestone there a joke

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

^^^^ I agree. At least the ones around here are just about completely worthless.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

also, don't jack around and go cheap when the brakes aren't working correctly. Take it to a recommended mechanic from someone you know and let them properly diagnose the car. My guess is your abs problem is probably a wheel sensor and your pulling is a frozen caliper like someone else said. Either way, take it to someone that knows what they're doing and is recommended by someone you trust.

Red
    1999 Z-28 convertible

This sounds just like the problem that I have been chasing for a month. So far we have changed the ABS controll unit, turn the rotors and replaced the pads. The brake line pressure has been checked and is OK. All this has not fixed the problem. I have ordered an ABS delete kit, this should eliminate the electrical aspect of the ABS. If I still have a problem, it will be mechanical. Sticking calibers, lower control arms, etc. The techs think that it is electrical so we are going to delete this next week.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Wood View Post
    This sounds just like the problem that I have been chasing for a month. So far we have changed the ABS controll unit, turn the rotors and replaced the pads. The brake line pressure has been checked and is OK. All this has not fixed the problem. I have ordered an ABS delete kit, this should eliminate the electrical aspect of the ABS. If I still have a problem, it will be mechanical. Sticking calibers, lower control arms, etc. The techs think that it is electrical so we are going to delete this next week.
    have you tried the wheel sensors? If you have techs looking at it then why haven't they pulled the code for the abs? That should tell them right there what's up.

Red
    1999 Z-28 convertible

They have checked the sensors and it has not thrown a code. The ABS light has never come on.

blue
    1998 Z-28

i change to bigger tires and my abs ligth is on to i got 28/11.50/16

Thread Information