Thread: !998 z28 ls1

NA
    1986 Monte Carlo

!998 z28 ls1

I just picked up a motor and transmission out of a wrecked 98' Z28. But thats not all. The car was parked in yard and then totally flooded. The car has not ran since the wreck so i pulled the pans and found very very little H2O moisture in trans. but the motor hade more than I liked. The motor was empty do to cracked pan, but cut filter open and was 40% water. Pulled bearing on rod and no suprises, for a motor with 120,000 on it.

Is there any thing I can check to see if the motor or trans needs to be totally rebuilt?

No rust internally on ether. The trans. fluid was pure red and oil was black and water in filter...

Thanks for help
    Aaron

PS. motor and trans. is going in 86 Monte Carlo SS

White
    2001 Z28

Imo I wouldn't take any chances and go head and rebuild it just to be on the safe side. Just because it may not appear to have any issues it would be better to be safe than sorry

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well if there's water in the engine oil filter, thats a little scary. But if there isn't any rust on the cam, crank, cylinders, pushrods, or rockers, then maybe you could run it. Check for signs of hydrolock, like bent rods.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Short of pulling the pan or a head or using a borescope, there is really no way to tell what is going on inside the engine. You can pull all the spark plugs, squirt a little oil down each bore, and with the plugs out roll the engine over by hand. It should feel fairly smooth with consistant resistance all the way around. If it feels really tight, seems to bind in spots, or locks up then you know you have some issues.

NA
    1986 Monte Carlo

Thumbs up

Ok, I will have to do more investigating on the engine. I do thank you for the help and will let you know what I find out. Got my fingers crossed.
    Thanks again,
    Aaron

Thread Information