White
    96 firebird vert

98 z28 ls1 and trans install after rebuild??

I just traded and got a 98 z28 with 71k on it!! Engine needs crankshaft and bearing and rod, trans needs converter and shift kit.... I got quoted around 1400-1500 on the rebuild first of all just wondered if this is a good estimate?? the trans and engine is already out btw... just wondering how tough it is to put the engine and trans back in after it is rebuilt... i ask this on this website because i want it engine and vehicle specific not just some random reinstall on a random car.... the driveshaft, radiator, and exhaust is all removed as well.. just wondering if this is all possible without things like welding and special tools?? i understand ill need an engine lift... the reason i'm wonderin if i can do it is because their chargin me around 500-800 to reinstall everything... let me know thanks alot!!! i appreciate all the info you guys have!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

rebuild price sounds dirt cheap. Should be like double that...or more. What all are they doing during this rebuild?
    Engine/trans install estimate sounds about right.

White
    96 firebird vert

the only things they doin is shift kit in trans so just bands and miscellaneous stuff.. and engine rebuild only need crankshaft and a rod and a bearing (there was a little tiny clicky noise)... just wondered if i'll be able to reinstall everything myself without having to do any welding or special stuff?? reinstall will include ypipe, exhaust, driveshaft, radiator

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The only thing that could require welding is the exhaust but most exhaust systems just bolt or slip together.
    98% of an engine/trans install is basic handtools(sockets, wrenches, etc.) You will most likely need a floor jack, jack stands, and an engine lift(cherry picker). Anything you run into during the install that you might need can easily be bought at Sears. Nothing too special.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

i just pulled and reinstalled my entire engine and trans by myself for the first time. It wasn't that bad at all, i used a chain style engine hoist to lift the car up, jack stands and floor jacks.. All i had was just simple hand tools, probably took about 4 hours total to get everything done

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by augie1209 View Post
    the only things they doin is shift kit in trans so just bands and miscellaneous stuff.. and engine rebuild only need crankshaft and a rod and a bearing (there was a little tiny clicky noise)... just wondered if i'll be able to reinstall everything myself without having to do any welding or special stuff?? reinstall will include ypipe, exhaust, driveshaft, radiator
    are you planning on putting it in from the bottom or top?

White
    96 firebird vert

thanks guys keep all the good helpful info coming!! not sure on top or bottom but i just assumed that top was the most common and i could probably borrow an engine lift... i became very discouraged from trying to do this when i read on another forum that parts like radiator are tough to put back in and also i don't really know what to do with a/c and the antifreeze stuff and i dont recall if any of the wriing harness was pulled through the firewall or not... let me know what ya guys think.. i've also had possible interest in mechanical engineering in school so i figured this might give me a good idea if its something ide like to do for a living... thanks guys i appreciate it

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

well if you get stuck, take a few pics of the problem areas and post them up and we'll answer them.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

there are only 3 plugs on the engine harness that go through the fire wall, they go in on the passenger side down behind the PCM. The radiator is very simple to put back in, line it up and drop it into place, the top is held in place with the lower part of the air lid assembly.. As far as a/c stuff i can't help you there since when i bought my car the previous owner removed the a/c (bad idea when you live in texas!).

and like Cutlass said, if you get stuck post up some pictures and i'm sure you will get some help!
    Last edited by Tx98Formula; 06-08-2010 at 06:37 AM.

White
    96 firebird vert

re re

thanks guys.. yae personally ide rather have 500 or 600 more to spend on miscellaneous stuff rather than pay to have it done... soo stuff like y pipe and exhaust should all be able to be done by clamps?? i was also thinkiing about going ahead and try to find a good deal on some lt heads before i drop the engine back in cuz ive heard its a heck of alot easier to put um on that way rather than when engine is in.. so will i need to buy any other installation parts?? i've ran into some ppl say stuff like motor mounts and other parts, since i didnt change the motor or trans, just rebuild, i shouldn't have to get any of those parts new should i ?? thanks alot guys .. engine gettin rebuilt soon!!

Black
    1999 Z28

Might want to buy a tranny mount -- I've had two F bodies now and both had the transmission jumpin' all over the place. Maybe I just buy cars that have been beat on?? It is a cheap/quick replacement anyway - may as well do it.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

as long as the motor mounts aren't cracked or worn i wouldn't worry about changing them, i didn't change mine, same with the tranny mount, my tranny mount looked pretty damn new though.. Just make sure you have fluids to put back in it, when you pull the motor your going to lose quite a bit of tranny fluid and you also have to drain the radiator.. i needed brake fluid also when i put mine back in

Thread Information