Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

RED
    1998 Camaro

Talking 98 V6 to LS1 Swap

Ok need a little help getting started, I have a 1998 V6 Camaro that will be the project I am looking to swap this out for a LS1. I have been reading up on the swap but I havent been able to find any photos of the swap if any one has any or if I need to post this is in another spot then let me know. Any help on the things that I dont need to worry about would be great. Thanks everyone.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If you've been researching then you know your work is cut out for you..

Welcome to LS1.com.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

It would help if you let me know exactly what you think you don't need for the swap and I can then add to it if need be..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-13-2012 at 10:00 AM.

RED
    1998 Camaro

Talking Istrument Cluster

I have read a few different posts on other websites regarding having/or not having to change the instrument cluster. I've seen contradicting answers in regard to this equipment change. I am in the Service now but I was a tech before I joined so I am experience in the automotive field just havent performed a swap like this and the Camaro project car was free. I know that I will have to change the shock and spring combo up front to adjust for the added weight, but will the stock spindles, and control arms work on the swap?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by cade75 View Post
    I have read a few different posts on other websites regarding having/or not having to change the instrument cluster. I've seen contradicting answers in regard to this equipment change. I am in the Service now but I was a tech before I joined so I am experience in the automotive field just havent performed a swap like this and the Camaro project car was free. I know that I will have to change the shock and spring combo up front to adjust for the added weight, but will the stock spindles, and control arms work on the swap?
    Yes they are the same between both LS1 and and 3800-II cars.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

As far as the cluster goes, the v6 speedo is limited to a 125 mph max and the LS1 is 150+.

An LS1 will bury the v6 speedo quick.

I am also not sure the v6 cluster can be fully calibrated to v8 settings either.

I would recommend swaping out the cluster and BCM to the LS1 setup as you'll be changing most of the wire harness and PCM anyway..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-13-2012 at 06:59 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

LS1 f-bodies have become cheap enough that the swap only really makes sense if its dirt cheap (ie you have a wrecked ls1 f-body sitting right next to your V6 f-body). Or you really like a challenge...not judging there because that describes me

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

really there is alot you have to do to swap and do to handle the swap in the end it would be cheaper to sell the V6 camaro and use the money you were going to use for the swap and buy a V8 camaro... if you look in the right place you can find a 2000 Z28 for $4000 with 100,xxx miles on it like i did!!! but its your money and choice in the end!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Do you already have a donor engine? If not, like Smittro mentioned you are going to need more than just the engine. You will want the engine harness, engine mounts, and PCM. You will also need a factory service manual for the wiring schematics and other information. They do make aftermarket harnesses and engine controllers that will work with the LS1 engine in case you do not get the factory pieces. I would look for either an '01 or '02 F-body engine as it will have the correct oil pan and accessory drives, along with the LS6 intake and no EGR.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Being a person whom likes a good GM v6, v8, and (I5 vvt as it were) I can understand where you guys are comming from but as many of you know, I have a different view.

A project car can be anything reguardless of it's current layout. imho

The idea behind hotrodding usually is to build/make it your own and say, "I built that".

Is it easier to just buy a hotrod already built? Of course it is, but for some that's not the point of the hobby.

Example: say the car already has an LS1, but you want to do a retro fit with a big block.

OR, say as many here,, you want a ton more power out of your LS1, in say an FI configuration.

Well it's still going to take a ton of mods to get you there and in many cases the same amount of modifactions to the entire car.

I look @ every car as it is with an, "it's just a shell" mentality.

Whether changing up from a v6 to a v8, building power, or just plain modding what you have, it takes work reguardless.

Yet from another angle the project car could be in imaculate shape as my 01 v6 was.

To sell that just to get into a tired 100k++ worn out car that is 75% the same just because it has a v8 that I can drive today would be a huge step backwards..

IMHO>>>What ever you deside,, the chance to make it one of a kind over rides the chance to be like everyone else..

But that's just me and how I do things..

As proof: useing whatever search engine you like, type this: "TDC TT", or "3.4 DOHC TT", or "TDCTT", or "LQ1 TT", or even just, "LQ1"..

What you will find in your searches is MY engine, a one of a kind build that is mine, built by me, and currently can't be found any where else thus far......

Can I afford to buy them fast?

Answer: SURE can, but then it would'nt very unique would it?

Take it for what it's worth, that's just how I view the hotrodding life style..

Everyone looks @ things differently, but I support the OP and anyone wanting to be different.

Just my .02
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-14-2012 at 04:18 AM.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Check out my current project here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f36/franke...roject-162671/

Due to an accident, I am swapping everything from my 2000 Trans Am to a 1994 Firebird (3.4L). Granted I am taking all of the wiring out of my T/A and putting it in place of the Firebird's wiring, instead of what you'll probably do. I would think that all of the interior wiring would be the same, so you would only need to worry about wiring for the ECU, coils, injectors, and sensors for both the engine and trans. The the clusters might be different (speedometer wise, but I would think you would be fine for now...compare wiring diagrams...Chilton or Haynes Manual.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Being a person whom likes a good GM v6, v8, and (I5 vvt as it were) I can understand where you guys are comming from but as many of you know, I have a different view.

A project car can be anything reguardless of it's current layout. imho

The idea behind hotrodding usually is to build/make it your own and say, "I built that".

Is it easier to just buy a hotrod already built? Of course it is, but for some that's not the point of the hobby.

Example: say the car already has an LS1, but you want to do a retro fit with a big block.

OR, say as many here,, you want a ton more power out of your LS1, in say an FI configuration.

Well it's still going to take a ton of mods to get you there and in many cases the same amount of modifactions to the entire car.

I look @ every car as it is with an, "it's just a shell" mentality.

Whether changing up from a v6 to a v8, building power, or just plain modding what you have, it takes work reguardless.

Yet from another angle the project car could be in imaculate shape as my 01 v6 was.

To sell that just to get into a tired 100k++ worn out car that is 75% the same just because it has a v8 that I can drive today would be a huge step backwards..

IMHO>>>What ever you deside,, the chance to make it one of a kind over rides the chance to be like everyone else..

But that's just me and how I do things..

As proof: useing whatever search engine you like, type this: "TDC TT", or "3.4 DOHC TT", or "TDCTT", or "LQ1 TT", or even just, "LQ1"..

What you will find in your searches is MY engine, a one of a kind build that is mine, built by me, and currently can't be found any where else thus far......

Can I afford to buy them fast?

Answer: SURE can, but then it would'nt very unique would it?

Take it for what it's worth, that's just how I view the hotrodding life style..

Everyone looks @ things differently, but I support the OP and anyone wanting to be different.

Just my .02
    Wow old tired worn out 100,xxx mile car is that bad to u? But it still runs high 12s with full exhaust, tune, and minor bolt ons.
    I don't know how I was put at the end of the barrel but I would sell a v6 any day to buy a v8 and then build that. Now if the car were 20-40 years old then go for swapping engines that's a different type of swap.
    SLP lid w/K&N Filter, Free-Mods, LT-Headers, ORY-Pipe, V-Force Muffler, Frost Tune, AIR/EGR Delete, SFCs, Ported TB

My00Z28-----2000/Z28--------2.0331---8.4118 @ 86.83----12.9856 @ 107.15----NA------10/11

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    Wow old tired worn out 100,xxx mile car is that bad to u? But it still runs high 12s with full exhaust, tune, and minor bolt ons.
    I don't know how I was put at the end of the barrel but I would sell a v6 any day to buy a v8 and then build that. Now if the car were 20-40 years old then go for swapping engines that's a different type of swap.
    I don't keep vehicles or buy them much past 120k unless they are projects.

Selling a v6 car any day is your choice to make just as the OP's swap is their choice.

A factory 60* normally aspirated 3.6l dohc DI v6 easily puts up dyno proven LS1 hp numbers with minor bolt ons.

Glad your car is good for you..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-14-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I used to always swap out vehicles, or pass them down to our younger drivers in the family, once they were up over 100,000 miles. Now, we are actually running 2 as daily drivers that have around 113,000 and 130,000 miles on them.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I don't keep vehicles or buy them much past 120k unless they are projects.

Selling a v6 car any day is your choice to make just as the OP's swap is their choice.

A factory 60* normally aspirated 3.6l dohc DI v6 easily puts up dyno proven LS1 hp numbers with minor bolt ons.

Glad your car is good for you..
    And I said its his choice in my first post I just don't see how swapping a v8 unless it was given to me in a v6 shell the same money someone would pay to just do the swap would be kinda pointless because u could use that money to build an already v8 car.... I'm just putting the facts out there like everyone says don't build a 10 bolt go straight to 9". Like don't build a v6 shell for a v8...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Except the OP is'nt asking what YOU would do.

They are asking about changing up to a v8, from a v6 and not whether you think it's pointless or not.

Your posts have nothing to do with this thread or the help they asked for.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

At the end of the day, the car belongs to the OP. Let the OP do what he wishes.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Haha wow u guys are being dumb acting like I'm forcing one thing on him I put out my opinion and u all start flaming. Starting to look like "tech" has reached ls1.com!!!!

FASTER THNA SPEEDINtICKEt BANDITO's Avatar

White
    2002 trans-am

my 94 fire bird is a hard top and looks like it'll make a good drag car. Besides I'm just getting my ecu and motor + tranny for 1k out of a 6.o truck

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

No one is flaming anyone. We are all giving the OP ideas for his build.

Let's keep this civil or posts get deleted and thread bans are handed out. NO ONE IS DUMB IN THIS FORUM.

Thread Information