red
    1998 Z28

98 ls1, just found oil leaking

I cleaned underside, just bought the car, and it was dirrrrrty under there. I have driven over 200 miles, and not a single drop on the driveway, but jacked it up this morning to look at wheel sensors for ABS problem, and found fresh oil on the steering rack, traced it up, and noticed it looks like its coming from behind water pump. Cant see any oil on top side. I can see that it is for sure coming down front of engine, dont see any leaks around heas or valve covers. intake manifold loos dry as a bone. I think the cam or crankshaft is behind waterpump. I also want to notate that I have a 1336 code- crackshaft position sensor. I will get under the car in a little while and take some pics,and post them tomorrow.

Oil is coming down front, from somewhere around waterpump, leaks onto steering rack, and sometimes hits serpintine belt to be slung. It also flows onto from part of oil pan, but is at the corners only.

What am I looking at?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

from the sounds of it I would look at your front seal. Here's a couple of pics.

front cover on with water pump removed

front cover off, the seal goes around the perimeter

red
    1998 Z28

how hard is that repair? I have only take intake off of lt1, and completed a port job, new tb install, and cai install. This is now LS1, so different beast, intake looks much easier to get off, valvecovers look like a bitch, every cylinder has its own distibutor or whatever its called. The EGR is reaally different on this car.

So in your opinion, very little exp, is this a very hard repair, or should I get shop to do.
    While I have it opened up, what else should I do?

Any ideas on what the parts would cost. I got a quote on a front seal replacement, 300.00 from a performance shop, but they also want to rebuild my t-56 and they want to charge 1800 for that.(sixth gear is grinding when trying to switch to, usually the only way I can get the gear to grab is to put sifter in sixth, let it grind for a second, push clutch in again, and slowly let back out while coasting at or abouve 60mph. any less and forget about it. I can lock in every other gear and let out clutch without grinding while sitting still. Sometimes reverse will grind for a second, then I retry and it doesnt grind anymore, but that may be me geting used to reverse being in a woerd location. This is my first six speed.)

thanks for the pics, I just got under the car, and tooks some pics to show the leak.

red
    1998 Z28

Here are the pics i took of my engine, they show where the leak is coming from. If it is main seal, can someone give me advice on how to replace?

Thnx

Thread Information