White
    98 Camaro

98 camaro v6 rebuild question

So i have decided to rebuild the engine on my camaro v6 after having the rod bearing problem.
    How much am i looking at?
    Is there any place you guys recommend in So Cal?
    Thank you

hugger orange

if your looking at rebuilding it yourself, call up Summit racing.
    they will have everything you need, but if you shop around you should beable to find alittle better prices

I'm not sure what you mean. Replace heads? It could be several thousand dollars to do that+ if you're not doing any of the work yourself.

White
    98 Camaro

i don't have the experience or the knowledge to rebuild on my own yet. so i am looking for shop to do so.
    And i haven't taken it to the shop yet so i don't quite know if i have to complete rebuild or not.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by zzangkluvses View Post
    i don't have the experience or the knowledge to rebuild on my own yet. so i am looking for shop to do so.
    And i haven't taken it to the shop yet so i don't quite know if i have to complete rebuild or not.
    Shop around I'd say. Ever think maybe of finding a junk yard motor that runs?
    Maybe cheaper in the long run to have a shop replace the engine rather than rebuild your 3800.. Just a thought..Good luck with it. Depending on the shop it's possible they would have your engine for weeks doing a rebuild. Maybe only a week for a replace. Most shops will install an engine you provide I'd think.
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-01-2009 at 03:56 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Shop around I'd say. Ever think maybe of finding a junk yard motor that runs?
    Maybe cheaper in the long run to have a shop replace the engine rather than rebuild your 3800.. Just a thought..Good luck with it. Depending on the shop it's possible they would have your engine for weeks doing a rebuild. Maybe only a week for a replace. Most shops will install an engine you provide I'd think.
    + you could shop around you local auto parts for a reman long block, there is a pretty good core charge, but when you take the old motor back they refund your core charge

If I were you, especially if the cost of a rebuild is several thousand, I'd look into getting a V8 engine. There's another part of the forum where you can ask about what might fit. Used from a junked car would save money, but the car's value would be higher with something else.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    If I were you, especially if the cost of a rebuild is several thousand, I'd look into getting a V8 engine. There's another part of the forum where you can ask about what might fit. Used from a junked car would save money, but the car's value would be higher with something else.
    best way to go there is to find a totaled car with good running gear for cheap, use it as a donor and swap everything over

Thread Information