Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

5th EGR question this week!

Hey Guys,

Got an idea... Right now I sprung for a new hood and an ls6 intake so I'm tapped out for another month or so and can't afford a tuner. BUT since I'm putting the LS6 intake on with no EGR I will have to remove it but I got a rig idea and wondering if anyone can scare me out of it real quick.

Instead of removing the EGR can I just run the EGR pipe that is supposed to go into the intake down the front of the block to the bottom of the car? Its just carbon monoxide so I don't think it will ignite. That way I don't throw a code and I can remove it later once I get a tuner.

I'm just real REAL anal about my car and well the CEL will drive me nuts... No i'm not going to just pull the bulb or anything like that... Its just an Idea figured I'd run it by the group and see what everyone thought.
    Otherwise i'll just live with the light on for a little bit and I will for sure buy the tuner ASAP.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

What throws the code would be the physical lack of the EGR-not just the exhaust having no where to go.I don't have an EGR vehicle so I can't help out that much here..........but the computer checks to see if exhaust gas is being recirculated or not by some means-it self tests-I could look this up for an exact answer but I've been looking at manuals all day and my eyes are crossing!!!

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

LOL!! Okay thanks for the info.. On my car the only wiring going to the EGR system is a check valve on the side in comes the exhaust manifold pipe out comes the pipe that is supposed to to into the intake.. In theory I think I should be able to run that down to the bottom and let it spit exhaust out all it wants.. Of course if it make some popping sound or something I'll have to go back to plan A and remove it and star at the code.. I was 30% sure it would work, You just got me to 50%

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Well I was hoping you would read more into what I was saying but looks like I'm going to have to get out the manual again.The OBDII system does self-checks to make sure the systems are working.With the EGR one of the tests it uses involves the MAP sensor to check if EGR function actually occured. So if you allow exhaust gases to vent to atmosphere it will detect this and set a code. There are like 3 other tests involving electrical signals to check EGR function that wouldn't set a code as long as the valve is hooked up and working no matter if you were venting exhaust to atmosphere or not.Of course everybody edits the PCM computer memory to eliminate EGR function.The shop manual on this is actually bigger than the yellow pages for the greater St. Louis area so it's a headache looking this stuff up but if I don't then people don't accept a partial answer or argue about it so- there it is-enjoy!!!! I'm thinking though that venting this tube to the air is going to make such a loud noise that it's going to drive you crazy anyway so this is all a moot point.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Okay Great info man. Thanks for the help. I forgot all about the MAP sensor and well of course that makes perfect sense. I was just looking at the valve and thinking it wouldn't know.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I know if you get a rusted through air tube it makes a hella racket-prolly egr tube same thing-that's a nother consideration.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Just deal with the code for a little while....it's not that bad.Mine was on for like 2 months on and off...damn cat code. Save up for a tune...have them remove dtc for egr, air and rear o2's. I believe a tune alone is a lot cheaper then a dyno tune...maybe 150?

NBM
    99 TA

i had mine off for a month or so before i got it dyno tuned, you wont have a problem with it showing the code. if you have a scanner just keep it in your car and each time you start the car delete the code...i would do that about once every few days to make sure it was only the EGR code. plus i know that some ppl will charge only like 20-50 bucks if all you want is to remove EGR and AIR codes from the pcm. call around and say thats what you want if thats all you are looking for instead of a full tune.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Uhh, aside from all the other reasons, I don't think you'll want raw exhaust dumping under the front of the car. You state yourself in the first post, its only carbon monoxide. If it gets in to the cabin while you're on a long trip, its lights out and a nasty wreck.

Not saying it will happen, but the possibility certainly exists. If you are going to remove it, plug it!
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

True-CO is deadly-it's odorless and will knock you out before you know what hit you. It would definetly get into the passenger compartment from under the hood through the cowl air intake.

Thread Information