orange/black
    1964 chevelle

5.3 van ls1? Swap info???

Guys I am new here i currently have a 1964 chevelle and am looking into purchasing a 5.3 out of a 2003 chevy van?? I haved searched a bunch and maybe in the wrong place , but I am trying to find out if this is a decent swap to make as in the van 5.3?? Is there any bad points about buying one out of a van?? accessory drive or just poopy one to pick?
    I am looking to make a cruiser..no speed demon..lol

any help is appreciated...

Thanks in advance

pics of my chevelle currently

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/809526

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

The 5.3 should be an LM7 steel block if it is out of a Van and should be around 285 HP 330ish TQ (about the same as a 96 Impala SS LT1) stock which should be still a kick in the pants in that chevelle. Most people would go LS1 because of the higher HP rating but . It would make a decent engine for just a cruiser. The heads are often used on LS1's so I'd imagine they are decent. The intake off of it should be the "big ugly" one which actually makes more power than an LS1 intake if it fits under your hood. The oil pan should be the same as out of a truck so it will have a huge sump that needs to be swapped out for a modified one off of an Fbody. You'd have to test fit the accessory drive to see if it will fit. I know some early cars like Camaro's etc have to notch the K member and frame for the alternator. Otherwise there are aftermarket accessory mount kits on the market. It would make a fun little cruiser with plenty of go. With headers (needed probably for the swap) and tune you'd probably hit high 13's in the smallish 64 Chevelle.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 06-19-2008 at 02:46 PM.

orange/black
    1964 chevelle

wiring

ok I am getting the motor..now what all do I need for wiring and computer?? do I just need the computer under the hood or do I need the inside as well?? under the hood fuse box?? the wire loom was cut at the fuse box under the hood.. so am I screwed?? I plan on using the factory harness if I can u guys tell me??

thanks

Brian

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I don't know where the computer is located on the vans but Fbodies have them on the outside under the hood as do alot of vehicles. Unless you don't have the money to burn for an aftermarket wiring harness it would probably be best to get the harness out of another LS vehicle if that one is chopped that bad. As long as it is pre LS2 all the knock sensors etc should be located in the same place. If the actual plug ins are different you can use wiring diagrams for each and just splice in the right connector. Painless Wiring harness has kits that make it easy. The ones they have merge the old school and new into one taking out all the guess work. Don't know the price last kit I got from them was 400$ for a 12 circut new style fuze block harness. Their kits are easy to use as every wire is labeled throughout the entire length. If you have the coin to spend I would definately go that route. And yes you will need a computer to mate with it. Otherwise you could find another fuze box and try to make sure the pin out is right and get to splicing.

Thread Information