Thread: 4 speed or not?

red
    1999 trans am

4 speed or not?

I asked this on LS1Tech and didn't get many responses and I know this may be a dumb question but..... Why after my car shifts into 4th gear at normal driving speeds does it act like it shifts into a 5th gear?
    99 convertible WS6, 224/224 .581 lift 112 LSA, 398hp/380TQ, Patriot stage 2 heads, LS6 intake, Ported throttle body, Pacesetter long tube headers and offroad Y pipe, Magnaflow muffler, SLP Underdrive pulley, Melling high volume oil pump, 3200 stall, 3.73 gears, Mickey Thompson ET Street DR radial

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by tg580 View Post
    I asked this on LS1Tech and didn't get many responses and I know this may be a dumb question but..... Why after my car shifts into 4th gear at normal driving speeds does it act like it shifts into a 5th gear?
    I believe because the torque converter then fully locks up for highway cruising. But I maybe wrong. My 01 Camaro does the same thing, and so did the stock auto I had in my '92 z34..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Last edited by KahanaReef; 06-30-2010 at 06:39 AM.

That's the lockup converter. You'll notice it even more with a loose stall converter.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by tg580 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I believe because the torque converter then fully locks up for highway cruising. But I maybe wrong. My 01 Camaro does the same thing, and so did the stock auto I had in my '92 z34..
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's the lockup converter. You'll notice it even more with a loose stall converter.

the lock up is often misinterpreted as a shift. this usually happens at around 45mph. so dont worry, it is all normal. how are you liking your new stall btw ?

red
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the lock up is often misinterpreted as a shift. this usually happens at around 45mph. so dont worry, it is all normal. how are you liking your new stall btw ?
    I actually went cheap on my stall and bought a RevMaxx. I got the anti ballon plates and carbon fiber lining it. So far so good. It snaps pretty well when you kick it down, it lets me stall it out when going for a hole shot and it doesn't take a bunch of throttle to get it going under normal driving conditions. And from what I'm hearing it locks up at about 45mph when I'm in fourth gear. One question I have though is if its locked up why can I still blip the gas pedal and it still revs without instantly going forward?

Thread Information