white/blue
    '99 30th Anniversary T/A

30th Anniversary T/A rear end WHINE

Hi everyone...

I have a 99 30th Anniversary Trans Am, purchased new. I always had a problem with rear end whine from about 55mph to 60mph. Brought it back to the dealer, and they supposedly replaced the ring and pinion....now it whines from about 20mph on up, as long as you hit the accelerator. Doesn't make a sound coasting. Going 60mph in any gear, and the whine does not change. It only stops (and stops completely) when you let off the gas. The second you give it the slightest bit of gas the whine is there. It is LOUD. The whine doesn't change in pitch with speed; it just gets louder. It has about 2000 miles on it since they last worked on it...I had brought it back and just picked it up today. All they said was that it was "fixed" but I honestly don't think they did anything to it...since it is exactly the same.

What specifically could this be? Please let me know. I'm hoping that maybe someone who has a clue (i.e., not my dealer) can maybe adjust the backlash or something to get rid of this whine. The car is basically a garage queen, not driven hard whatsoever.

Thanks everyone!
    Jeff

find another dealer with good rear guy.I went through the same thing with a pontiac dealer,after they changed the pinion bearings it started howling and whinning.After alot of arguing i gave up on them and took it to a rearend shop.After about 2500 dollars(total including the 500 the dealer ripped me off) no more whine.Basicly what is wrong is the pinion depth is off,until its close its gonna whine badly.

white/blue
    '99 30th Anniversary T/A

Is this something that can be adjusted out? This has been an ongoing thing from my dealer, and they have done all this under warranty...7 years on! But, they can't seem to fix it, or even really try...I think they are clueless. I'm trying to stay away from the dealer.

What all specifically could this problem be?

Thanks,
    Jeff

the pinion depth needs to be checked and setup,then the ring gear backlash needs to be setup properly=no more noise.Its really quite simple but honestly very few if any dealers have good mechanics,then ask them to do a rear???a rear is NOT something you can BS wrench turn a few bolts your way through.Its a very simple setup but very technical.
    example my wifes car goes into a pontiac dealer for a leaking pinion seal.Comes back out with a HOWL thats insane.Dealer screws me around claims nothing wrong they did.I took it to a rear end shop,they pulled the cover and discovered NO BACK LASH on the ring gear! yep unbelieveable.PLUS the dealer service manager tooted his horn says and i quote "my head wrench is world class" stupid pecker had the carrier shims in on the wrong sides.That cost me 2500 total.I wouldn't trust a gm dealer with my POOP!
    That was KEY Pontiac in Bethlehem PA,but they are all alike.Good wrenchs open their own shops,dealer wrenches are bottom feeders.Trust me i worked in a gm shop for many years STAY OUT OF THEM!

i've been out of them since 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Phlash_riot View Post
    you've been out of them since 79.... but your only 33... .... Wow you were the MAN when you were 6
    i'm not 33.....this web site says that for some strange reason, don't see any options to change it
    Last edited by YoMommasTA; 11-02-2006 at 06:30 AM.

white/blue
    '99 30th Anniversary T/A

I don't mean to be a prude...but can we get this back on the topic at hand? I need help!

Jeff

Thread Information