pewtar
    2002 SS

2002 SS Starting Problem after Hibernation

My wife's car has been parked for a while. We normally start it every couple months and drive it but the last time she tried to start it, it spun over for about 30 seconds before starting which is unusual. After running for about 15 minutes at idle the engine was revved and it stumbled like it was running out of fuel. Since then it will start but will barely run and acts like its firing on 3 cylinders for a only couple seconds like its not getting fuel.....any thoughts??

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

4 things it could be (in order of what I would check):

1) Clogged fuel filter - This is something that happens when cars sit for long periods.

2) Spark plugs are gummed up - leaving gas in a cylinder will go bad and can foul up plugs. Pull them and see how they look.

3) Check fuel pressure at the rails; turn key on one click see what it reads and if it holds the pressure. Should not decrease. Next turn car on and again see what the pressure is. Should be around 56psi.

4) Clogged fuel injectors - these are hard to check. If you're misfiring or have a bad injector you'll have a code.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Fuel pressure with the key to just the on position will not hold at 58psi. It will drop. However, with the car running, it should stay at a steady 58psi.

How long is "awhile" when talking about how long the car sat? Are we talking months or like a year/s?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

pewtar
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Fuel pressure with the key to just the on position will not hold at 58psi. It will drop. However, with the car running, it should stay at a steady 58psi.

How long is "awhile" when talking about how long the car sat? Are we talking months or like a year/s?
    She had driven it just a couple months ago. It sits in a garage out of the weather. I heard heard something about the regulator maybe not seated as well?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Any possibility that a mouse or other rodent chewed a vacuum line or spark plug wire? Have you checked the wiring?

I would check the wires then do as Scott said and check fuel pressure at the rail to make sure you're getting fuel to the motor.

pewtar
    2002 SS

Will do, Thanks...no mice.. When a fuel pump goes out...does it usually quit completely or can it pump a very small amount? Just curious as to the demeanor of the fuel pump.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

With the key to the on position, you can typically hear the fuel pump priming. If you don't hear anything it is possible it died, but not necessarily. If it is really loud, that could be a bad sign too. Your local parts store or Harbor Freight has fuel pressure gauges for pretty cheap. There is a valve right off the fuel rail you screw the gauge into to read the pressure.

pewtar
    2002 SS

Thanks!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The fuel may be bad... We have a rig to pump out all of the cars that are here for long-term work because even 6 months can be too long. Though most fuel is typically "fresh" at the time of pumping; you never really know how old it is when you get it. Take the fuel cap off and smell. You will know if it's turning... it will have that weird old smell; like the inside of your grand dad's shed

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

A product called Heet helps eliminate moisture in the gas. I'd dump that into the fuel take as well.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    4 things it could be (in order of what I would check):

1) Clogged fuel filter - This is something that happens when cars sit for long periods.

2) Spark plugs are gummed up - leaving gas in a cylinder will go bad and can foul up plugs. Pull them and see how they look.

3) Check fuel pressure at the rails; turn key on one click see what it reads and if it holds the pressure. Should not decrease. Next turn car on and again see what the pressure is. Should be around 56psi.

4) Clogged fuel injectors - these are hard to check. If you're misfiring or have a bad injector you'll have a code.
    ^this

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    ^this
    Except for #3 is not correct. Fuel pressure does not hold at 58PSI with just the key to the "on" position. It will drop. With the car running, yes, the fuel pressure will remain steady at 58PSI (or around 58PSI).

My fuel pressure reads anywhere from 58PSI - 61PSI.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 01-12-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me. Happened to both my camaro and trans am. Check everything else first, go down smws6tas list, cause replacing a fuel pump isn't easy. Go to your local checker and ask to borrow a fuel rail pressure gauge. Let us know what u find. Buy a new fuel filter and replace it as well.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Thread Information