silver
    2002 trans am ws6

2001 z28 grinding noise

ok just bout a 2001 z28 a4 92000 miles got a very weird gringing noise from right rear sounds like a bad power antina motor or bad head light motor on the ta's last about 30 secs only when moving not any ideas please help very annoying thanks!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

You can remove your spare tire and you will see your power antenna. unplug the power connector and cycle the key again. If you don't hear it then is your power antenna for sure.

Have someone stand in the front of the car and cycle the key, see if they can hear the grinding noise in the front. If they do then is possible that it is the gear in the headlight motor. There is the 180 fix or you can replace the gear with the brass gear kit.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 10-22-2010 at 06:41 PM.

silver
    2002 trans am ws6

its on a camaro it has a standard antna and camaro head lights so no motor. but thats the sound im getting from the rear of my car like i said it has to be moving when it happens and its form a stop or just cruisng after a stop i removed the spair and see the amp box in the qutar idk if it would come form there or not

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

crap i didnt pay attention to the camaro part. if you have a standart antenna then I cant think of any other motor back there. The only other think that i can think is noise from the rear end or your fuel pump making noise but I never heard of the pump making that kinda of noise except the whinning noise.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Prolly your 10-bolt..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

silver
    2002 trans am ws6

yea, its random i have no clue i have a ton of f bodys friends here in lexington sc and we all are stumped. i was hoping someone here might have an idea or had the problem bf but thanks for the help guy really if you hear or got an idea please help i hoping its the muffler under the rear or the car making the noise and im going to have it removed an go slp.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I'm thinking diff like Smittro or rear carrier bearing.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I'm thinking diff like Smittro or rear carrier bearing.
    3800 can kill an auburn. LS1 f-bod folks are sitting on a ticking time bomb imho..

silver
    2002 trans am ws6

its a new rear end with 3.73 gears replaced about 10k ago it was under warrenty from the dealer so it got replaced and the guy i bout it from bout the gears and had them installed when the did the rear ? i think there is a sheild above the muffler and its rattling aginst it or maybe the bottom of the car it has no sertin time it happens like yesterday i was crusing at 45 for about 2 miles and it stared and lasted 20 sec and agine a hour later after hitting a bump in the road and it stoped but every bump i did it a lil more for about 100yds so idk its weird never had the problems with my 02 ws6 as i have with this z its a nightmare everything is breaking and going bad its always something

Thread Information