2000 z28 camaro with ls6 intake what's a good combo

I got a 2000 z28 camaro automatic Tranny with a ls6 intake and I was wondering how to Bing it to mid 10s or if lucky to 9s easiest way

P.S I'm a newbie

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Ok, to go safely into the 9's you are going to need a complete recreation of your vehicle and that is going to cost big money, or you can do it the cheap way and bolt on a 450hp fogger and a big fuel pump and get two runs before the engine comes apart.
    I assume you want to do it the right way so here we go. Lighten your car anyway you can to keep it drivable, you will need a new coil over suspension, a multi link rear suspension with a S60 or 9" center section, A complete performance rebuild of your transmission with a 4000 stall converter, an 8 to 10 point roll cage, drive shaft loop, upgraded cooling system, and I would say about 7k in heads, cam and chain, beefing up the valve train, upgrading the fuel system including injectors, Upgrade the tires and brakes (stopping from 130+ is very important) and maybe a small shot NO2 system but keep it light because that stuff is hard on engines. I would say that if you can do the most of the work yourself you can get there for about 30k or so. Do it right the first time and remember safety first. Putting a bunch of HP in a stock suspension will only lead to accidents
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 04-22-2014 at 05:34 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

1st question should be where you live? Reason - If you live in Eco-Communist states like Cali, NY, NJ then you're options for a build become limited if you still want to drive it on the street.

Most 9-10 second cars are purely track cars and like Kieth is trying to point out cost a shit ton of money.

Also on most tracks if you dip into the 10's or run 135mph or faster you'll need to have at minimum a 6pt roll cage, safety equipment and some even require NHRA license.

We aren't trying to crap on your dream but giving you some facts for what you're asking.

There are several ways to get to the times you want, most (all) aren't cheap. NA (Natural Aspiration) route requires a big block with high cubic inches, FI (Force Induction) like superchargers or turbo systems.

Each require suspension and rear upgrades.

Just a simple breakdown in prices:

Rear End (9', S60, 12bolt) = $3500 fully built
    Suspension (from transmission to rear) = $2000
    Engine (this will vary depending on what components you use) = $3500-7000
    Transmission = I can't tell you this because I have a M6 so I know little about the cost of stalls and built auto's
    FI - Supercharger kits $3500-$4500, Turbo (single) $3500-$4000, (Dual) - $5000-$6000
    N20 - $400-$1000
    Prostar Wheels - $1500
    Drag Radials - $600

Yeah I don't have that much cash I'm 19 with 2 kids so money is not my big thing so 9s is out of my lead right now so what's a good cam and heads to run stock for my car oh and I'm in L.A if it helps to let me no
    Last edited by alexmachboy; 04-22-2014 at 11:31 PM.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by alexmachboy View Post
    Yeah I don't have that much cash I'm 19 with 2 kids so money is not my big thing so 9s is out of my lead right now so what's a good cam and heads to run stock for my car oh and I'm in L.A if it helps to let me no
    Save your money for your family, there is no 1993-2002 Camaro that is worth investing any money in (right now) other than maintenance. With 2 children, I would trade in the vehicle, and purchase something more practical for the family.

Our vehicles are really not worth that much, they are not old enough to be a "classic" and IMHO they are a "nitch" vehicle with a limited sellers market.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Save your money for your family, there is no 1993-2002 Camaro that is worth investing any money in (right now) other than maintenance. With 2 children, I would trade in the vehicle, and purchase something more practical for the family.

Our vehicles are really not worth that much, they are not old enough to be a "classic" and IMHO they are a "nitch" vehicle with a limited sellers market.
    I couldn't agree more. Put your money into a sedan and your family and be patient. Over time the extra money will start coming in and you will be able to build your dream car but for now family comes first.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Buy a 08 and up CTS-V Caddy and your already in the low 12's to high 11's depending on DA.

It meets emissions in your Eco_Nazi state and has room for 2 child seats.

Don't waste your money on the 15yr old F Body with 2 kids you have more important things to spend it on.

I am at that crossroads now after doing a 12 bolt and 3.73'gears last year.

I may sell the car rather than throw more money at car thats value is dropping like a lead weight.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

I forgot to add that you may want to break other barriers first if you ignore our advice.

Like get into the 12's then the 11's as its not as easy as you think if your on a budget.
    Last edited by transamtom; 04-23-2014 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Budget
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I personally don't think anyone who builds a car should be concerned about resale value since regardless of the car it will likely hurt the value unless you sell it to the right person. Also what is a waste of money to you may not be to someone else that is a completely subjective statement. I have 3 cars so my TA isn't a daily driver so I can go as extreme with it as I would like because I don't need to tow the kids around with it.

Also if he doesn't have enough money to do the mods suggested I don't think he has enough to buy an 08 CTS-V so I don't know why that was suggested.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-23-2014 at 06:39 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Put your money into a sedan and your family and be patient. Over time the extra money will start coming in and you will be able to build your dream car but for now family comes first.
    Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Buy a 08 and up CTS-V Caddy and your already in the low 12's to high 11's depending on DA.

It meets emissions in your Eco_Nazi state and has room for 2 child seats.

Don't waste your money on the 15yr old F Body with 2 kids you have more important things to spend it on.

I am at that crossroads now after doing a 12 bolt and 3.73'gears last year.

I may sell the car rather than throw more money at car thats value is dropping like a lead weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    I forgot to add that you may want to break other barriers first if you ignore our advice.

Like get into the 12's then the 11's as its not as easy as you think if your on a budget.

All sound advice...you're young so you have plenty of time for toys....I'm not saying go ahead and get rid of it but make sure your family comes first. I'm 42 now and was 29 before I got my first Firebird (96). Even then it was a V6. I bought my Trans Am at 38. I served 16 yrs on Active Duty before an accident forced me to retire, so I know what it's like to live on a limited means with 2 kids.

For now I recommend if you keep it, to make sure it is mechanically sound. Meaning fix any problems, update worn out parts and keep it running. Even under stock HP these cars are very fun to drive vs every 4/6 cyl four door cars.

For future projects - The most common timeline for 95% of builds is 3-5 yrs. Main reason is money. More money the faster stuff gets done. These shows that have a car being done in 7 days is very unrealistic for the common owner. Mine has taken a little more then 3 1/2 yrs so far. Many start/stops for various reasons, whether money, injuries or other stuff. Best advice I can give is keep doing what you're doing now. Research and ask questions, develop a build plan and write it down and after you save up some $$ make smart purchases. This will change over time but it gives you a goal. You need to have one so you're not wasting money, time & parts.

Here are some ideas of builds that can be combined together, some fit better then other combos:

DD - Daily Driver, self explain (Low - Med Expense)

Show - Rarely driven cars that are dressed up with all the bells & whistles in pretty paint and shiny chrome. Trophy hunters and mostly enclosed trailer queens, rock chips deduct points. (High Expense)

Street - Driven cars that are built up to handle light to medium track use and still remain drive friendly and barely "legal" . (Med - High Expense)

Track - Heavy use, most of the time trailer because they not economical or "legal" to drive on street due to mods. (High Expense)

AutoX - Built to compete in this specific type of racing. Heavy suspension mods and braking mods with little power upgrades. (Med - High Expense)

Examples of mixing:

DD/Street, Street/Show, Street/AutoX, Show/Track.

Example of not so good:

DD/Track

Currently we have at least 3-4 members doing engine builds. One just finished his and is breaking it in now. (Damn you Tator ) I've installed mine and waiting for a tune. I also have been tackling a transmission and custom rear build at the same time. All are almost finish. We also have another member starting on an E85 build. Very ambitious and interesting build. Also expensive but he'll have some serious HP when done.

I started on my custom rear almost 2 yrs ago but it's a side project I wanted to try. I could have gone out and spent $3000 on a built 9" and been done but like I said something I wanted to try. My engine, I killed it Nov 2012 (gotta avoid over revving and bouncing off the rev limiter), replaced it with a 6 Liter, the transmission need rebuilt because it already has 170,000 miles on it. Not something I recommend to do at the same time but once done I get to check off a lot of "to do" items off my build list. You can check out my projects by clicking on the links in my signature below.

One more thing you have seriously going against you. You live in Cali. Moving to almost any other state (except NY & NJ) would be my first recommendation. Cali is the most restrictive state when it comes to cars and performance mods.

I know this was long but hopefully informative. Not trying to shit on your dream, just making sure you are informed on what it takes to get there.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-23-2014 at 07:08 AM.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Thread Information