White
    1999 WS6

1999 WS6 Air Conditioner

I've done all kinds of searching and I feel I'm the only one with this problem. I have a 1999 WS6 and the AC blows very mildly cold, but doesn't blow very hard at all. When I'm in the driver seat and the AC is on MAX, I can barely feel the air blowing. I live in Dallas, TX where it is hot as hell, so I find myself sweating bullets everywhere I go. When I get in my Cadillac CTS, it cools down really fast and blows so hard it will dry out my eyeballs. I've checked the Freon and it seems to be right in the middle of what the gauge says to be perfect. This is my 3rd Firebird and I have never had this problem, that I can recall. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to what could cause it to just not blow air? It's really not that cold either, maybe 80's. Any help on this would be great.
    Thank you,
    Wes
    Last edited by madcow; 08-09-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like the air door is stuck. Does the fan speed increase when you change switch positions? There is a vacuum source on the back of the intake manifold that supplies vacuum to the HVAC system. I'd check that first and then go under the dash to see if anything appears amiss. I have books for an '02, but presume the systems would be identical if you need further assistance.

White
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Sounds like the air door is stuck. Does the fan speed increase when you change switch positions? There is a vacuum source on the back of the intake manifold that supplies vacuum to the HVAC system. I'd check that first and then go under the dash to see if anything appears amiss. I have books for an '02, but presume the systems would be identical if you need further assistance.
    The speed does change when I change the dial, but when it is on II, you can't even feel it putting your hand next to the vent, so I have to keep it at IV in order to get any power out of it. I will look for that vacuum hose and check the pressure at the other end of it and post the results this evening. Thank you for responding, I'm tired of sweating. LOL

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yeah, I wouldn't do well either with a non-functioning AC. Good luck!

White
    1999 WS6

I can't seem to find that vacuum host. Would someone have a picture of where I need to look for this vacuum hose? Also, where would I find the air door, to make sure it isn't stuck?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Getting ready for work now... shoot me a PM as a reminder later today and I should be able to get some pics posted for you this evening.

White
    1999 WS6

It says that I don't have permission to send a PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Need 10 posts and 10 days I believe. Anyway, I'm back. Let me head out to the garage and grab my books.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok - there is a vacuum tank for the HVAC system located under the passenger side front end. It would be under the area where the battery is and has to be accessed from beneath the car. Should be a single vacuum line connected to it that runs back to the area of the PCM and over to the back of the intake manifold. Under the dash, there are multiple vacuum lines attached to a central connector. The line all the way to the right on top should be the vacuum supply line. I would check to ensure that you have vacuum and that the hoses are all intact and connected.

If the vacuum all checks out, then we'll want to take a look at the door functions.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

And here is a step-by-step diagnostic:

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

if you can feel it blowing out under the dash by your feet , check for a vacuum leak, if its just not blowing hard, it could be the blower under the passenger side dash, it gets clogged up with leaves over time that get in from the bottom of the windshield, ive had to take mine off twice and clean it out. as far as the air not blowing cold, could just be it needs freon.

White
    1999 WS6

Thank you for this feedback, I will check these things out this weekend and let you guys know what I find.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by madcow View Post
    The speed does change when I change the dial, but when it is on II, you can't even feel it putting your hand next to the vent, so I have to keep it at IV in order to get any power out of it. I will look for that vacuum hose and check the pressure at the other end of it and post the results this evening. Thank you for responding, I'm tired of sweating. LOL
    Can you hear the fan running? I ask as a few GM cars have come in with blower fan issues. Turns out the resistor has gone bad causing the fan to not spin in all speeds.

White
    1999 WS6

Guys, I'm letting you know now, I'm not a mechanic. With that being said, I can't seem to find the vacuum hose harness. I took the glove box off and the little panel underneath it. I see a little radiator looking thing in there, but don't see any leaves or dirt or anything. Nor do I see a vacuum hose harness. Matter of fact, I can't seem to find any vacuum hoses, anywhere. Are they hidden or something?

Can you hear the fan running? I ask as a few GM cars have come in with blower fan issues. Turns out the resistor has gone bad causing the fan to not spin in all speeds.
    It seems that the fans speed does change when I change the dial.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Understood. We're away this weekend, but when we get home I can post some more pics to help you out. I haven't had to work on ours, so just not familiar enough with it to guide you without the book open.

White
    1999 WS6

So I started looking around under the car for anything that didn't look right and underneath the driver side headlight via the small opening where the shield is, I found a hose that was falling apart. I have no idea what this hose was for or what it was connected to, but I replaced it and it seems to be blowing stronger, but still unsure if this fixed the problem.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That sounds like a secondary air hose for the emissions system. Hose was around thumbsize in diameter?

Thread Information