bdd

1999 Camaro SS problems?

I am looking at getting a 99 SS. I used to have a 95 6-speed, so I am familar with these, just not the LS1's. Is there anything I should look for, besides the obvious things to look for when buying a used car? It is a 1999 SS 6-speed with 100,000 miles.
    Thanks!

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Not too many problems with these cars. The 3/4 shift fork bends easy and will be hard to get into 3rd gear. Like I said not too many problems to be aware of on them.

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Too many miles

You will be putting some serious money into that SS with 100K. Look around and get a low mileage example for the same bucks. Don't be afraid to travel. It is well worth it to get the right car. Good luck!

bdd
    The price seems to be pretty good, I think I can get for 9000. What money would I be dropping into it?

Black
    SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wayah-bird
    You will be putting some serious money into that SS with 100K. Look around and get a low mileage example for the same bucks. Don't be afraid to travel. It is well worth it to get the right car. Good luck!

Serious money? Just because the car has 100k miles doesn't mean that it is going to break. If the car has been taken care of it will last awhile!

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Quote Originally Posted by x10-wakerider
    If the car has been taken care of it will last awhile!
    Yes that's the key question. Who had it and what was spent on it in recent repairs, etc.. It could be highway miles and meticulously maintained, but I doubt it. The owner should have receipts. If nothing, move on to another car, otherwise you may be looking at clutch or tranny problems, even engine problems, never mind the suspension, notorious window motor problems, et al. $9,000 would be too high in that case, and adding $2000 to $3000 during the first year would be adding insult to injury. There are still too many NICE LOW mileage cars running around in the $10,000 to $12,000 range if you look around and be patient. Nothing spoils a car purchase more than laying out big money on unnecessary repairs. Another question too, how are the tires? New, OK. Need replacing? Maybe an instant $500-$700 added expense right off the bat depending on brand. Be careful, and again, good luck. I'm sure you will make the right decision. I'm sure there are many fine 100K cars owned by members of this forum, but I can tell you from experience, most for sale are BURNED!!

bdd
    Thanks for the responses. It's actually on ebay right now. The dealer is literally 100 ft. from my house. The dealer is definatly not one of the most reputable in my area and that worries me. I don't have the money to be shellin out money if something major goes. Plus, until I saw that episode of Horsepower TV, I didn't realize that changing out the motor was such a hassle. I have done a lot of my own things to cars, but that looks like a PITA! I plan on driving it and letting you guys know anything. Like your saying though, even if it drives good at the time, something might go in a few months. I think I get too worried and paranoid sometimes, haha.
    Thanks, and keep the responses coming!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Look at it really close and have it checked over and driven by a good mechanic. If you don't want it to be stock it doesnt' matter how many miles are on it. Once parts break or need replacing it's a good time for modding. I wouldn't expect to not put nothing into a car with 100k on it unless the previous owner really liked the car and took good care of it. Good luck with the car search.

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Run!!!

Hi again BDD,
    I looked at that car on ebay. If it is the one in Canonsburg, PA, RUN and keep on running! I wouldn't touch that car for less than $5,000 and I still wouldn't bother with it. It's been run and run hard, plus you answered your own question earlier about the dealer having a so-so reputation. You can do so much better. I would fly cross country to get the car I wanted for the lousy price of a one way ticket unless you plan on owning it for a very short time period. Feel free to e/mail me if I can assist in any way. I have owned F-bodies since July '96 and you can't help but get experience with these wonderful cars. Don't buy someone else's problems. That is serious money you are talking about. I hate to see an LS1 enthusiast get burned.

Thread Information