Black
    98' LS6 Z28

1998 camaro pcm/cluster help

hey guys got a problem. i was trying to install a wiring harness for the sts turbo oil pump and try to tap into the wires they say and some how screwed up my cluster or pcm. i have no rpm, odometer and my fuel pump doesn't shut off after priming ( should be 2 seconds or so with ignition on). yet the car still starts and runs. if you rev the car in neutral the speedo goes up not rpm. checked all the fuses i see and they seem fine. what do ya think?

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

what wire did you tap into for the RPM signal? at the PCM? on a '98 there's two wires that go to the cluster for the rpm (white) and speed (dk grn/white), check for shorts/broken wires. On a STS system, you only wana tap into the white wire; I've usually only done it at the PCM or at one of the plugs in the kickpanel if I need to tap for more stuff. If I'm not mistaken, STS instructions used to be wrong in their first install instructions booklet they sent out so always verify with a real schematic.
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 08-09-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Black
    98' LS6 Z28

i tapped into the drg green and white at the pcm-- fuel pump. it goes hot for 2 sec then off for priming pump if you don't start the car. if you start the car of course it stays hot. this is the only wire i tapped into. also i swapped the fuel pump relay then and the fuel pump fuse is ok still the same. btw my kit is used with no instructions but this is where the sts dealer told me to tap into. i have since run my own wire with a switch in the cab to keep all wires away from my pcm for now. the whole kit works and the car runs just the cluster screwed up -- no check engine light either

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

yeah, you may be correct on which wire. Have you tried taking the wire off and seeing if everything works okay?

Black
    98' LS6 Z28

ya like i said i ran my own wire with a switch inside the car instead of auto activating with the fuel pump. no change. i fixed the odometer found a blown fuse so its just the rpm and speedo i haven't checked yet cause the car hasn't moved. what should i look for if the tach is not working?

Black
    98' LS6 Z28

so ya speedo works and car drives fine all other gauges work no check engine light so i figure the computer is fine and it must be getting the reading corect from the engine sensors. its just the cluster tack now

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

yeah, I guess check the tach wiring ... good to see you're moving in the right direction!

Black
    98' LS6 Z28

is there any other wire or specific fuse to check-- other than the white wire.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

I'll check when I get home, I have the wiring schematics printed out somewhere

Black
    98' LS6 Z28

cool thanks checked the white wire close to where i tapped into the green and white just in case i broke it accidently and it looks ok.

Thread Information