pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

1998 Camaro LS1 No start issue....Looking for help

Hey everyone. I got a good one for you. Im working on a 1998 Camaro LS1 with a crank no start issue.

Engine cranks but does not start. If the ignition key is left on for a few minutes and then the engine is cranked the engine will start. Once started the engine runs good, no fault codes, no misfiring, no hr power issues. I can drive the car with no problem. If I shut the engine off it will re-start only if I start it back up right away. After sitting for s couple minutes, the engine will crank but not start again! I have to turn the ignition switch on and let it sit for about 4 to 5 minutes and then it will fire right up.

Key on rail pressure is 58 psi when the pump is on and then 50 psi when the pump shuts off. When the key is turned to crank the fuel pump comes on and rail pressure goes up to 58 psi during cranking. I have replaced the fuel filter but has no change. Intake air temperature and coolant temperature sensors are good. I unplugged the MAF sensor to put the circuit into default but no change. The scanner shows the VATS system is not disabling start.

Again I will say the engine runs perfectly fine once the engine starts. I can answer any questions that I may not have covereed already.

Has anyone seen or heard of this problems?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds like the pump is not priming properly. There is a check valve which is supposed to close that keeps fuel at the rails so when you get in the car and turn the ignition instantly, there is fuel there to start the car. If the valve doesn't close, all the fuel returns to the tank. Sounds like this is your problem. The car starts after you turn it to the on position for awhile first because the fuel pump is priming fuel to the motor during this time.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Thank you for the quick response! I beleive you are correct. I was hoping it was not a pump issue. There is a detail I forgot to mention. I monitored the rail pressure while the pump is off and the pressure does slowly bleed off. The pressure bleeds off ( approx 2 psi every minute) with the ignition on or off as long as the pump is off. I wasn't sure if it was a pump issue because as soon as the key is switched on I get 58 psi at the rail. Can you explain that?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

I would do two things: first I would double check your positive and negative battery connections and make sure there is no corrosion whatsoever. ....then I would make sure the pump is priming correctly which it sounds like it is.....next, I would do myself a huge favor and install a new fuel pump since you have a 98 LS1 like I do....I upgraded my pump with a high performance piece and power increased substantially. ..oh and I mean it...the difference was unreal......but I will say this...my battery cable corrosion was the reason for my start issue...good luck...

Thread Information