1998 Calipers Replacement part

What is the 1998 caliper made of?

One of mine in the front has a piston that sticks and I think thats why the rotors warp so often.

I want to replace one of mine and want to be sure to get the original material from Advanced Auto. Or are they all aluminum?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jim_usa; 09-09-2005 at 02:31 PM.

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I think it's aluminum alloy. The F-body calipers are gravity cast while the corvette C5 calipers are pressure cast.

The pistons are steel, they use a o-ring to allow them to move by hyd pressure and not leak.

Are you using stock rotors? And have the guide pins been lubed well?

All you need to know when you get the caliper from Advanced Auto is to look for the PBR logo. That will incidate if it's the proper one because PBR is the original supplier for GM F-body calipers.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by jim_usa
    What is the 1998 caliper made of?

One of mine in the front has a piston that sticks and I think thats why the rotors warp so often.

I want to replace one of mine and want to be sure to get the original material from Advanced Auto. Or are they all aluminum?

Thanks!
    I had a 98 that warped the front rotors-I was doing like 70mph and jammed the brakes on as hard as they would go and then sat there. (it's a long story)Since then I've found out that it's a common thing to warp these rotors-I have a 02 now and I take it easier on the brakes .You are smart to replace the pistons with original type-they'll sell you anything at the stores!

Black

I have C5 ZO6 calipers in the fronts.

The standard C5 is grey powercoated, the C5 ZO6 calipers are red powercoated. And it's a direct bolt on, no modification needed!
    Uses same hardware and brake line/bolt.

Only difference is the powercoating, the pistons diameter and it's pressure cast which is stronger.

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    I could of swore that I read on here somewhere before the crash that the front calipers on the 98-02 f-bodies were notorious for warping.

I've replaced the pads and rotors and/or had the rotors turned probably 6 or 7 times since I bought the car new. The past couple years I've babied the heck out of the brakes. I never keep my foot on the brakes at a stop if I've put more than average pressure on them. I usually stop then put the parking brake on and let off the brake pedal to let them cool. This is AFTER I let it roll a little to get the hot part of the rotor out from behind the pads. But they still warp up like thin plywood after it's been soaking wet.

When I did a brake jopb a couple years ago I replaced the seals on one caliper. And the pistons on that one seems a little tight. I didn't grease the pins though. I'll look at that. Thanks!

And thanks for all the other suggestions!

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Rice_Hunter
    I could of swore that I read on here somewhere before the crash that the front calipers on the 98-02 f-bodies were notorious for warping.
    That would be the rotors.

The calipers do flex under braking pressure. This can be seen on the pads when due for a change. Take the two old pads from one wheel and put them together, you can see the wear pattern is not even, it runs at a angle from top to bottom.
    And look at it from sideways, the side thats near the brake rotor hub has less wear while the opposite side has more due to less expanding (it's closer at where the caliper construction turns 90*.

Thread Information