red
    1996 Z28 SS

1996 Z28 SS Refurbish

Ok I know this is going to be an intersting topic, but any help would be awsome.

I have a 96 Z28 SS convertible LT1. Has about 90k miles on it. Still runs good looks good, but is starting to feel and look like an 11 year old car. Engine is all stock, has the SLP loudmouth exhaust.

So now to the fun part. I am leaving to Iraq as private contractor, so will be comming back in about 11 months with a big chunck of change. What I want is the car to be totaly refurbished. New interior (seats carpet etc..). Thats the easy part. I do know the vert top has some spots that are leaking so New seals and top are a must.

What I dont know is if It would be better to go ahead and put a new engine and tranny on it or rebuild the current. I know I have a bad syncronizer on the tranny because it Pops out of reverse all the damn time.

So my question is What do I do? Rebuild or New? I am not looking for tons of power 350ish horse is fine with me, but I want a good reliable car that I dont have to worry about will it start when I get in.

Also need to find a place in the South East that can do this kind of work. ie: they can do everything for me and not have to take it anywhere since i will be out of the country, so if anyone knows someone in the Georgia or surrounding areas that would be awsome.

I know this is a broad question, and I am sure I have left some things off, but thank you ahead of time for any and all information you guys can provide.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

As for the tranny, I would get that rebuilt.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

if you are happy with what you have, there is no need to go new. do a rebuild of the tranny first and for most. then really all you would have to do is play with the top end of the block to get to the 350-ish rwhp that you want (heads/cam, headers, TB, LT4 intake, etc). Throw in a set of 3.73's in the rear and call it a day...

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

rebuild it, dropping a new engine would decrease value in the long run

Pewter
    02 Z28

why don't you sell it and get an 02 ss, its going to be in better condition and it's going to have the power that you whant
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

red
    1996 Z28 SS

Well one reason is the sentimental value of the car. Would be like selling my child (if i had one).

The other possible thing im looking at is keeping it for a while down the road it should start increasing in value.

If I was told correct there wern't but a few hundred SS convertibles made in 1996, so it should see some value increase. (though I could be wrong)

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

If you want more power you should just purchase a longblock from someone like golen since you will have money to burn:

http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/lt1_lt4.html

You can alway bag your stock engine if you want to keep it for a numbers matching car.

Pewter
    02 Z28

I dont think that this cars are going to go up in price any time soon, they are going to be like the 3rd gen f-bodys when the 09 camaro comes out the price is going to go down

red
    1996 Z28 SS

Well its a Convertible SS so Im hoping that it will gain a little, but you are right it could drop.

Thread Information