Maroon
    2000 Z28 LS6, LT,ORY

160 Thermostat? Yes or No and does brand matter

Just planning on flushin my coolant system soon and wondering if installing a 160 stat is worth, or should I just replace the stock 180. Please tell me what you think? thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I wouldn't. These engines like to run hotter than that. 160 is a little cool. Plus you'd never get much heat in the winter, not to mention that could actually give you an overheating problem.

Maroon
    2000 Z28 LS6, LT,ORY

My car will be sleeping all winter, its coming off the road in a couple of week. Just a summer toy, so being a summer car is it worh it?

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by BKDZ28 View Post
    My car will be sleeping all winter, its coming off the road in a couple of week. Just a summer toy, so being a summer car is it worh it?
    Please anyone that tells you 180 is better doesn't know shit about cars. Yes I would deffinitly say get a 160 most likely an SLP one. You can pick one up for 20-25 bucks at your local auto store. And 160 is plenty for heat when you start it up in the winter to get the moisture out of it. Just make sure to let it fully heat up and idle for at least 15-20 minutes to get fully hot.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

and for the pple that will be driving in the winter time, is it still ok for 160?
    im also about to do the flush.
    I also heard that doing a 160 could kill the life of the motor.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    and for the pple that will be driving in the winter time, is it still ok for 160?
    im also about to do the flush.
    I also heard that doing a 160 could kill the life of the motor.
    Won't harm the motor one bit. You can switch back to the 180 for winter if you live in a very cold place like i do, but I would stick with the 160 if your area doesn't get below 10-20 degrees.

black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    Please anyone that tells you 180 is better doesn't know shit about cars. Yes I would deffinitly say get a 160 most likely an SLP one. You can pick one up for 20-25 bucks at your local auto store. And 160 is plenty for heat when you start it up in the winter to get the moisture out of it. Just make sure to let it fully heat up and idle for at least 15-20 minutes to get fully hot.
    Idling for that long will kill the motor faster and munch the cam. You only need to idle it long enough for the oil to get moving.

Ideling can cause oil starvation of splash lubed areas and actually prevents the motor from warming up properly.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I think I have either a 160 or 180. My car never gets over 180 while driving and at stoplights in the summer it barely gets to 212 before I turn on my fans. I DD mine and I love the fact that she doesnt run hot.

Junior Member Acceleration Junky's Avatar

sunset metallic orange
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Idling for that long will kill the motor faster and munch the cam. You only need to idle it long enough for the oil to get moving.

Ideling can cause oil starvation of splash lubed areas and actually prevents the motor from warming up properly.
    Somebody that DOES know shit about cars. There's more to it than just a thermostat. Don't forget about the fans on/off settings.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

http://www.lmperformance.com/763/1.html

slp has a switch so u can control the thermostat and u can switch between 160 and 180

Red
    2001 Trans Am

depends where u live i thought. I'm in Texas where is doesnt get that cold, so a 160 is good for me.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

As someone else posted before on this site, the 160 really operates at about 177 anyway. There is no true 160 operating brand, and if you sit at a light for over a minute you will be up about 10+ degrees as I watched mine on a data logger. I don't have the fans reprogrammed yet but if you are stopped alot the temp will rise back to the standard of an oe stat until the fans come on.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by slpdablueZ28 View Post
    http://www.lmperformance.com/763/1.html

slp has a switch so u can control the thermostat and u can switch between 160 and 180
    um no. very inccorrect. that gives you the ability to manually turn the fans on.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    um no. very inccorrect. that gives you the ability to manually turn the fans on.
    he speaks the truth i own it!

Thread Information