Black
    2000 Ws6

00' ws6 fuel problems

i have a 00 ws6 an in the past month my temp. gauge goes barried at 260 when you give it gas slowly or romp on it no smooth waY around it now this morning i noticed that when the check gauges light comes on and temp gauge goes barried the fuel gauge just dissapears it generally takes an 1/8th of a tank of gas to get to work but today it took a 1/2 a tank an also when all this happens tremendous loss of power so i know its dumping fuel into the cylinders an an thats why the loss of power but i dont know why also the temp gauge goes back to normal after you either give it more or less pedal..

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by Radicalstylerz View Post
    i have a 00 ws6 an in the past month my temp. gauge goes barried at 260 when you give it gas slowly or romp on it no smooth waY around it now this morning i noticed that when the check gauges light comes on and temp gauge goes barried the fuel gauge just dissapears it generally takes an 1/8th of a tank of gas to get to work but today it took a 1/2 a tank an also when all this happens tremendous loss of power so i know its dumping fuel into the cylinders an an thats why the loss of power but i dont know why also the temp gauge goes back to normal after you either give it more or less pedal..
    1 way to tell without expensive tools is turn the car on and ( watch the fans you dont want your fingers cut off) follow the rubber hose that is attached to your thermostat which will be bolted to your water pump squeeze the rubber hose .If you have flowing hot water you will feel it through the rubber hose now if its not flowing then you have 1 of 3 problems a hose is bad ,(1) a metal zip tip on a hose is bad(hose clamp) or your thermostat is bad the only way to tell is if a hose is bad there will be fluid coming from the hose like percepitation from a coke can,(2) if your thermostat is bad( rev to 2000 rpms when the car warms up that rpm will force the thermostat to open up weather its broken or not if its still heating up then its toast and it will not allow the coolant to flow through the water pump and if you run it like that for a couple minuter a bearing in the water pump will fail causing the water pump to fail .or (3) the damage is done and the car warms up and shoots right to pegged then its time for a new water pump . How many miles on the ws6 ? its common for the water pumps to go out its normal wear and tear also just like brake pads go out
    , be patient with a problem like this and it will be fixed Warren
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 12-12-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: normal

Black
    2000 Ws6

its just the gauge the car itself doesnt over heat only when throtling it anwater pump an thermostat was replaced in july of this year this still doesnt explain the dumping of large amounts of fuel when the gauge goes nutty.. when this happens it gets more fuel then supposed to which boggs down motor an then either letting off or rompin it everything straightens out than off too next gear "MANUAL WS6" SAME SYMPTONS OCCUR... AN SHES GOT APPROX. 120,000 MILES ON HER

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

i know the fuel sending unit is attached to the gauge, had to replace it to fix it on my maro, sounds like a combination of broken parts (waterpump, themostat, Fuel sender) OR your ecm is fried, but that just my guess, i'm subcribed and i want to know what the culprit is

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

yea it could be alot ..your sender unit might be out ..and be unrelated to your temp problem...the easiest way to go about this is 1 at a time..ignore the fuel problem...fix the cooling problem. i would personally do as 402 guru suggested ..a hot motor is a hurting motor and that can cause performance issues. check everything out with the cooling..has it been flushed etc ? your plugs could be shot from running to hot etc causing poor spark and wasted fuel...but first things first...find out why its running hot.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yea it could be alot ..your sender unit might be out ..and be unrelated to your temp problem...the easiest way to go about this is 1 at a time..ignore the fuel problem...fix the cooling problem. i would personally do as 402 guru suggested ..a hot motor is a hurting motor and that can cause performance issues. check everything out with the cooling..has it been flushed etc ? your plugs could be shot from running to hot etc causing poor spark and wasted fuel...but first things first...find out why its running hot.
    didnt think about that option....hm...

Black
    2000 Ws6

so i take it these symptons havent occured with any of ya'll
    it strikes me odd that it doesnt over heat at all just pegs periotically but ill try these steps also i ordered a map sensor an coolent temp sensor an will be replacing these tonite... i cant fathom that both the plugs an thermostat an waterpump all went out at same time also it only dumps fuel between shifts and after shifting while throatling...
    i just need too step back an calm down thought by posting this it would be an easy fix.

1998 Trans Am

i'm sure someone will be on here tonight that knows what to do, dont stress it man i know how you feel

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Radicalstylerz View Post
    Nothing is obstructing the air flow, will usually be on AC condenser. How long does it take to reach 260? If it pegs the gauge quickly, I would start looking at the sensor itself, especially if you have verified that the engine is not over heating that severely. The sensor is on the drivers side behind the power steering pump. Any diagnostic codes being thrown? I betting the sensor is one of your problems.

Black
    2000 Ws6

so far just map sensor which will be in tonite ill pickup on the way home also i have coolant temp sensor to replace tonite as well im hoping its one of the two.. i truely love my ws6 an its making me sick literally that i cant via here or my head figure out the problem... i think i would pick leaving my girlfriend over leaving my ws6... odd

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Try that temp sensor and get back to us.

white
    98 TA WS6

Cool

Man, I would look for a poor ground or high resistance in the voltage feed cicuits to the power distrbution/fuse box.If the computer modules can not get enuff voltage or path to ground they do very funny things. it may be worth your time to give all the ground studs a check if you can get to them,also check the batt. cables as GM side posts tend to loosin up on the own.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Nothing is obstructing the air flow, will usually be on AC condenser. How long does it take to reach 260? If it pegs the gauge quickly, I would start looking at the sensor itself, especially if you have verified that the engine is not over heating that severely. The sensor is on the drivers side behind the power steering pump. Any diagnostic codes being thrown? I betting the sensor is one of your problems.
    damn...you state the obvious that i didn't even think of ..."K.I.S.S" comes to mind with me now

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Try that temp sensor and get back to us.
    +1 check the codes replace what its throwing . have u replaced any electrical things l8ly ? u could have a power surging through the car and its tripping out you ecu try the good old fuse tester on all of your fuss also it could be something simple as a $1 fuse . also check all of your nitrous grounds and power to make sure that it didnt just come loose . time fixes all problems just tackle 1 at a time and plan it out and u will be telling yourself that was an easy fix in the end .
    Good luck bud,
    Warren

Thread Information