Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

$1,100 to fix A/C on TA

I posted about my A/C compressor leaking oil last week, and decided to go get a couple estimates on repair costs. The local Pontiac dealer where I bought my car is practically closed, so I went to my local Chevrolet dealer first and they quoted me $1,129. The compressor and clutch was $759, other A/C parts, labor, and charge up was $370. I thought to myself it is going to be on hot summer without A/C. The only good thing with that was that they will warranty the compressor and labor for the life of the vehicle, or until GM goes out of business, whichever comes first. So next I went to a well known local repair shop and their price was a little higher than the dealer, and they only give a one year warranty. Compressor and clutch was $710, other A/C parts, labor, install, and charge up was $490. Both places told me to get the warranty the have to replace a bunch of other stuff that goes with the A/C? They both also said they only use "new" compressors. I only drive the car to work and back, my wife's car is the "family" car, but you don't realize how nice a good A/C system is until you have to go without one in the middle of an East Texas heat wave.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

What do you expect. Having the A/C fixed in the middle of summer, 100+ degrees, yeah 1100. sound kind of cheap. In dead winter when the dealers were sitting on there ass praying someone would walk thru the door, proably would be half. 4 month ago going labor rate for A/C service was 55 an hour, now its around 125. an hour. We will have 80 degree temps for a week, the day it hits 90 everyone's A/C has been broken for over a week and they want us out there today. Pisses me off. Motto of the story, prices dont fall when there is demand. I wouldnt worry about it, our cars will be outlawed in a couple months anyway.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

im having the same trouble w/ my GTP`s a/c clutch & found some alot cheaper on ebay.here`s an example http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-A...Q5fAccessories

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ouch! You can buy a compressor for as little as $268 through RockAuto. Replacement of your existing compressor is a fairly simple swap and you can even charge it yourself with a kit from the Zone provided you do not leave the system open to atmosphere for too long. I did one on my '98 Ford Ranger about 8 years ago -- still works today as good as ever.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by michaelinchains View Post
    im having the same trouble w/ my GTP`s a/c clutch & found some alot cheaper on ebay.here`s an example http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-A...Q5fAccessories
    Thanks!

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Ouch! You can buy a compressor for as little as $268 through RockAuto. Replacement of your existing compressor is a fairly simple swap and you can even charge it yourself with a kit from the Zone provided you do not leave the system open to atmosphere for too long. I did one on my '98 Ford Ranger about 8 years ago -- still works today as good as ever.
    Thanks for the info. Changing out compressors would not be a problem for me, it would be the charging end of the deal, as I know little to nothing about charging an A/C system. They were saying I needed to replace the receiver drier and the A/C expansion tube also. Is this something to consider if doing it myself?

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Buy the parts on ebay, then look on craigslist for a A/C mechanic that does side work. He will be able to repalce compressor, leak check, pull a vac. and charge up. Proably do it for 100.00 cash. I am wondering how hard would be to replace, should be just rubber, is it working, just leaking or are you out of refridgerant.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by black crowe View Post
    Thanks for the info. Changing out compressors would not be a problem for me, it would be the charging end of the deal, as I know little to nothing about charging an A/C system. They were saying I needed to replace the receiver drier and the A/C expansion tube also. Is this something to consider if doing it myself?
    it's so simple you'll

go buy 3 cans of R134 @ autozone. Cheap stuff is fine.
    buy the hose attachment from them too.
    look at your A/c condensor (the bright silver octogon on the left side of the motor), unscrew the black cap on it, attached the hose, then turn on your car and a/c to full blast.
    attach the other end of the hose to one of the cans, hold it upside down and shake it fervantly for about 1 minute. Do that for each can.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelinchains View Post
    that's for a V6

here's an a/c compressor for the LS1
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 07-04-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Hmm, Ill throw this on here...

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/ViewCart.aspx

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Thumbs up

I hear and am interested in doing this to mine when it craps out, converting to a Sanden a/c compressor is the way to go, FWIW.
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by rideon1200 View Post
    Buy the parts on ebay, then look on craigslist for a A/C mechanic that does side work. He will be able to repalce compressor, leak check, pull a vac. and charge up. Proably do it for 100.00 cash. I am wondering how hard would be to replace, should be just rubber, is it working, just leaking or are you out of refridgerant.
    The A/C is still working, blowing cold air, but I have not run it since I saw the oil. There is oil on the clutch head and you can see from last time it was running where it slug the oil off the head on to everything around it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by black crowe View Post
    The A/C is still working, blowing cold air, but I have not run it since I saw the oil. There is oil on the clutch head and you can see from last time it was running where it slug the oil off the head on to everything around it.

If the compressor is only leaking oil externally and is still holding a charge I do not know why you would need to replace the other components. So long as the system has not been contaminated you are looking at a simple compressor swap and recharge. The charging procedure is just like ts|s indicated and takes all of 5 minutes from start to finish. Note that the pressure switch will not let the compressor clutch engage until it senses adequate refrigerant pressure in the system during the charging process.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I don't understand how you guys can recommend opening up an AC system & not vacuuming it out.
    These systems are specific in thier needs for the longevity of the components.

When you open a system, you introduce air & moisture, both of which will ruin expensive parts. (air + refrigerant = corrosive acids.....air produces high pressures.....water cannot be compressed & kills compressors)
    Over charging is bad too.
    You need to recharge using REAL gauges, NOT that cheap ass crappo thing that comes with the re-charge kits.
    AutoZone will let you use thier equipment FREE if you buy the supplies you need from them. Why not take advantage of that?
    (gotta put a deposit on it but you get it back when you return it)

Think about this;
    You spend high dollar for suspension, exhaust, & engine components so you can do it right, you'll bust a guys balls over what oil to use, but skimp on a system that will end up costing you more by being cheap or lazy.
    What's up with that?

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    I don't understand how you guys can recommend opening up an AC system & not vacuuming it out.
    These systems are specific in thier needs for the longevity of the components.

When you open a system, you introduce air & moisture, both of which will ruin expensive parts. (air + refrigerant = corrosive acids.....air produces high pressures.....water cannot be compressed & kills compressors)
    Over charging is bad too.
    You need to recharge using REAL gauges, NOT that cheap ass crappo thing that comes with the re-charge kits.
    AutoZone will let you use thier equipment FREE if you buy the supplies you need from them. Why not take advantage of that?
    (gotta put a deposit on it but you get it back when you return it)

Think about this;
    You spend high dollar for suspension, exhaust, & engine components so you can do it right, you'll bust a guys balls over what oil to use, but skimp on a system that will end up costing you more by being cheap or lazy.
    What's up with that?
    thank you for a real answer, there is no 'cheap' way around it, the ac system on a car works as the same principals as it does on your house.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I absolutely agree that is the best way to do it. I took it that the OP was not real impressed with having to drop that much $$ on fixing his AC. If you cap off your lines as you work and do not leave the system open to atmosphere you can do the job for far less -- that was all I was conveying.

Ive got the same problem with my A/C compressor. apparently its leaking and it will cost me $813 installed. I saw some other estimates on here and now I am wondering if this is a bad deal.

I have ZERO know how in doing any of this shit. Vacuums, lines, refilling...

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Ive got the same problem with my A/C compressor. apparently its leaking and it will cost me $813 installed. I saw some other estimates on here and now I am wondering if this is a bad deal.

I have ZERO know how in doing any of this shit. Vacuums, lines, refilling...
    You can always buy the parts & install them yourself. Then take the car to an AC shop & have the vacuum & charge done.
    Call around for prices to see if that will help you.

I really dont know what parts to get. I see the compressor third shift put up. What else is needed?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

do not over charge when you fill it back up or you'll be buying another compressor...

Thread Information