blue
    2001 WS6

How much $$$$ for dyno tune on average???

The only tuning shop around me will cost $400 for having cam & headers. Is that too much & should I look outside my area?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds about right.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Thats a good deal as long as you get a good tune out of it.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Sounds about right
    Like Rob said as long as you know it's a reputable shop that will treat you car right you should be alright

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

My shop was $425 for the first tune and $125 for any after.

blue
    2001 WS6

Thanks for the info...The tunner does it part time & full time Navy....

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It depends on how long they work on your vehicle. My shop in Dover, NJ charges 155.00/HR. with a two hour minimum plus parts. So I would expect 2 1/2 hr. of work for that money.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

The shop i used for my tuning spends a lot more time than that on a cammed car. The WOT part is the easy part, what really takes time is dialing in the cold starts. Letting the car sit on the dyno to cool off between tunes takes time. If you start the car in the morning and driving down the street you want that tune spot on.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    The shop i used for my tuning spends a lot more time than that on a cammed car. The WOT part is the easy part, what really takes time is dialing in the cold starts. Letting the car sit on the dyno to cool off between tunes takes time. If you start the car in the morning and driving down the street you want that tune spot on.
    Not sure how they charge for cool down time. I would think if everything is working fine with the cooling system that cool down should not be an issue. Even when beating on my car in the 1/4 mile I never go above 195 deg. which is normal opporating temp. Just shutting off the engine with the hood up in between sessions will do the job. Getting to the tune for running cold, I did not think it was a huge issue because you are not in the upper RPM band until at least 120 deg. or so.But, if your shop only charges you 400.00 for the entire day, that is a great deal and I will take that any time. 9 hrs at my shop is almost 1500.00 with tax minus parts. I think it is time to look for another shop.
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 04-27-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

They are very reasonable with their prices and are the people to go to in my area. I'd look elsewhere at 1500 unless there aren't any others in your area that do that kind of work

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Frost spent close to 20 hrs of diagnostic time with my car when it was having issues during the tuning process. They were literally working on it until 3AM several days in a row. He still charged me the same as he quoted because he chalked it up as a learning experience. Ended up being the wrong type of spark plug that was installed; Autolites vs. NGK's. Cross-reference for the spark rating was incorrect between the two.

blue
    2001 WS6

I have Frost's mail order tune & Have been putting off dyno tune because $$$$...But now I don't drive her because of idle issues...So it's time to step up and do it..

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Frost spent close to 20 hrs of diagnostic time with my car when it was having issues during the tuning process. They were literally working on it until 3AM several days in a row. He still charged me the same as he quoted because he chalked it up as a learning experience. Ended up being the wrong type of spark plug that was installed; Autolites vs. NGK's. Cross-reference for the spark rating was incorrect between the two.

Old post I know but...

Those extra hours were the fault of a third party (and not Nate or I or yourself). That extra time was certainly not your fault or responsibility. I wanted NGK TR6s in the car from the get-go. It was indeed a learning experience... it was learning to stick to my guns even over mundane items like plugs. Keep in mind that two more sets of the SAME Autolite's were tried, so we knew it wasn't a cracked or damaged part. The third party that supplied parts was extremely resistant to getting us the plug that I spec'd and kept pushing the part that he kept on hand to sell.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

Old post I know but...

Those extra hours were the fault of a third party (and not Nate or I or yourself). That extra time was certainly not your fault or responsibility. I wanted NGK TR6s in the car from the get-go. It was indeed a learning experience... it was learning to stick to my guns even over mundane items like plugs. Keep in mind that two more sets of the SAME Autolite's were tried, so we knew it wasn't a cracked or damaged part. The third party that supplied parts was extremely resistant to getting us the plug that I spec'd and kept pushing the part that he kept on hand to sell.
    Glad to see you posting here again, Steve. Car has been running great. Thanks again for everything. I really appreciate it!

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

i got 21 consecutive pulls on my gto for 400$ and not had to have a retune in 4 yrs now. a good tuner will give you that kind of service.

Thread Information