Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

starting an AX club?

how would one go about starting an AX club? there is a theatre that recently closed with a MEGA HUGE parking lot just sitting there not being used. I think it would be rad as t-tops to start an AX club and use that spot...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I want to come visit when I get all my crap done! and break my car... and have to walk home!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I wish there was somewhere close to my town for one. We only have a 1/4 mile oval with walls.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    how would one go about starting an AX club? there is a theatre that recently closed with a MEGA HUGE parking lot just sitting there not being used. I think it would be rad as t-tops to start an AX club and use that spot...
    I can ask the guy that runs ours but of the top of my head you have to talk to the site owners (in most cases pay for the use of the site) then you need to get insurance. Thought for most of this motorsport events participants and spectators sign a waiver the organization holding the event needs to have insurance to cover any liability of an idiot running a person over or any accidents during the event, This will most likely not cover any property or anything like that but it will protect the organizer from being sued and having to pay damages. SCCA Events are insured through the SCCA other groups have to get their own policies. Also you have to make an investment on timing equipment, generator, timing trailer (also this is where all the equipment, cones, tables, speakers will be stored and transported) and about $1-2,000 in cones.

Now into the cost once you figure out the cost of the equipment, insurance, etc. You can start planning let say if the event you run gets 50 participants (average mid size event) and you charge $35 a pop you will make $1750 - rental and insurance. You will need 4-5 guys that you can count on to be safety steward, setup, computer, and tech inspector. Those guys help and in turn they run for free. Depending on how much the lot an insurance is you can make up the equipment investment in a few events then after that is just maintenance cost and you get to turn a better profit. I'm guessing it is a season before you start seeing any kind of profit. Assuming the first events are light in attendance and they steadily increase. If you start turning good attendance you will be back in the black in a couple events. You also need someone experienced to design the courses, that way they design courses that will be good for a variety of cars not just miatas, or corvettes.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

thanks man! i'd hope it was simply self supporting, not even a profit thing. Sounds like i have some thinking to do...i need a wing-man!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

If I was in your area I'd definitely give you a hand, but no luck there.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

thanks man! i'd hope it was simply self supporting, not even a profit thing. Sounds like i have some thinking to do...
    Give me a shout if you want to talk things through!

Our local club was a not for profit originally. Each paying member was an owner and you had a board voted by the members of the club. Monthly meetings were schedule to discuss ideas, make decisions regarding spending events etc. then the members would vote on those decisions. The money made from events was placed in an account an then that money payed for lot rental, insurance, equipment purchases/upgrades/maintenance and at the end of each year any money left over was use for special prices and an end of the year banquet.

i need a wing-man!
    Yep we all do, life is a team sport!
    Last edited by Killer_bluebird; 08-21-2008 at 11:24 PM.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    Give me a shout if you want to talk things through!

Our local club was a not for profit originally. Each paying member was an owner and you had a board voted by the members of the club. Monthly meetings were schedule to discuss ideas, make decisions regarding spending events etc. then the members would vote on those decisions. The money made from events was placed in an account an then that money payed for lot rental, insurance, equipment purchases/upgrades/maintenance and at the end of each year any money left over was use for special prices and an end of the year banquet.

Yep we all do, life is a team sport!
    pretty rad! how long did it take before they became self-supporting?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

pretty rad! how long did it take before they became self-supporting?
    Not sure the club has been around for 50+ years. If you are going this route, starting out you will want to rent the equipment then as the group grows you can start planing purchasing your own.

Thread Information