Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

road courses with open track days

any of them within driving distance of chattanooga tennessee. i have 2 cars i wanna take on one. my 74 911 and when i get my car lowered with new struts i wanna take it.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Searching briefly I didn't find any actual road courses but I did find your local SCCA chapter! Looks like they scheduled a Membership Meeting for September 4th and they are offering Street Survival School I on September 13th (classes are $60 and you might get a discount on car insurance if you complete it).

'Nooga's SCCA Site: http://www.rivergate5speed.com/scca/index.html
    Street Survival School Site: http://streetsurvival.org/

I know that's not exactly what you are looking for but it is a good start!

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    Searching briefly I didn't find any actual road courses but I did find your local SCCA chapter! Looks like they scheduled a Membership Meeting for September 4th and they are offering Street Survival School I on September 13th (classes are $60 and you might get a discount on car insurance if you complete it).

'Nooga's SCCA Site: http://www.rivergate5speed.com/scca/index.html
    Street Survival School Site: http://streetsurvival.org/

I know that's not exactly what you are looking for but it is a good start!
    thanks. not exactly what i was looking for but yeah. i want to go to a road course so bad. i think it would be so fun.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

If you're talking about actual race tracks...there's a lot of money to put into prep for your Z. I believe one of the most expensive is real brakes, simple 98+ upgrade is not good enough, you need a good Baer or Wilwood kit from what I've heard. Also, you need to upgrade the power steering pump for sure, as well as possibly adding an oil cooler, power steering cooler, and tranny cooler. Also, change all your fluids to top of the line. Tires are expensive too. I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting as well.

If you really want to get on a race track I would recommend buying a 600cc bike. For the amount of money you'll put into the car, you can buy a good used bike for 2-3k plus 500 for gear, and another 500 for good tires, fresh fluids, and new brake pads if needed.

You could also participate in a track school where they let you use their bikes, that's the cheapest way to go, but you should be at least somewhat experienced to get all you can out of it.
    Last edited by JAGUAR5822; 08-30-2008 at 08:57 AM.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by JAGUAR5822 View Post
    If you're talking about actual race tracks...there's a lot of money to put into prep for your Z. I believe one of the most expensive is real brakes, simple 98+ upgrade is not good enough, you need a good Baer or Wilwood kit from what I've heard. Also, you need to upgrade the power steering pump for sure, as well as possibly adding an oil cooler, power steering cooler, and tranny cooler. Also, change all your fluids to top of the line. Tires are expensive too. I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting as well.

If you really want to get on a race track I would recommend buying a 600cc bike. For the amount of money you'll put into the car, you can buy a good used bike for 2-3k plus 500 for gear, and another 500 for good tires, fresh fluids, and new brake pads if needed.

You could also participate in a track school where they let you use their bikes, that's the cheapest way to go, but you should be at least somewhat experienced to get all you can out of it.
    well i was thinking just taking my cars around it a couple times. like what you can do at the nuringberg(sp) in europe. on normal afternoons you can drive your car around their track for 5 euros a lap. on that long of a track that's not bad. i was hoping for something like that. i know i don't have a good braking system for it. i just wanted to upgrade to 98+ so that i'd have a bit more. my 911 is pretty good for it though. it handles really nice. braking is so so but you don't need to brake too much in it anyways.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

I would wait for an experienced track junky to step in, but I would say if you're only doing a few laps, depending on the course you could get the 98+ swap done, steel braided lines, and an aggressive brake pad and be fine.

white
    94 camaro z28

I would wait for an experienced track junky to step in, but I would say if you're only doing a few laps, depending on the course you could get the 98+ swap done, steel braided lines, and an aggressive brake pad and be fine.
    well that's what i have already. i also have new struts on it that are slightly stiffer in the front and same in the back. i need some new springs to lower it though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

If you end up doing it, make sure you post your results or possible dash cam =) I thought of one more thing, they'll make you wear a helmet, and also make sure your car doesn't have any leaks, a bit of oil on the track can be deadly, and they'll check.

white
    94 camaro z28

If you end up doing it, make sure you post your results or possible dash cam =) I thought of one more thing, they'll make you wear a helmet, and also make sure your car doesn't have any leaks, a bit of oil on the track can be deadly, and they'll check.
    oh i make sure i don't have any leaks. i got run off from the drag strip for having a small leak before. and i have a helmet from drag strip use.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Jimmy there is a place somewhere in Chattanooga that does time runs in parking lots @ various places

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Alright, this may be what you are looking for: http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is a High Performance Driving Event sanctioning body and their site is full of great information. The top of the page has links to regional sites so you might be able to find a club in your area.

white
    94 camaro z28

Alright, this may be what you are looking for: http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is a High Performance Driving Event sanctioning body and their site is full of great information. The top of the page has links to regional sites so you might be able to find a club in your area.
    that was great. exactly what i wanted. i am signing up for something from them already. me and my MOM are gonna do the competitive driving class. we both have dreamed of competitive driving before. i showed her that and she said she would pay for both of us. (evidently it's a birthday present, i think she just wants to go play in a fast car)

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

When you get out there and do this stuff, you should start a new thread and tell us about the experience. Post pics, etc. A lot of us would like to do something like this.

white
    94 camaro z28

When you get out there and do this stuff, you should start a new thread and tell us about the experience. Post pics, etc. A lot of us would like to do something like this.
    ok. will do. it's gonna be a while we signed up for spring 09. with a baby on the way i decided to wait a while for it. but i really can't wait to go.

black black pewter
    89,00 LPE WS6,02 LPE WS6

www.waterfordhills.com scca rule racing, open track days. be careful though. road racing is addictive. you start out with a stock car, make improvements, get faster, then want to be competitive, follow the leader and cone chasing gets boring. then you end up buying 1 and building another scca race car.
    83 Firebird SCCA Race Car, 89 WS6 T5 SCCA Race Car 00 Lingenfelter WS6 T-Top 6spd Transam, race suspension, baer brakes, 02 Lingenfelter WS6 vert 6spd Transam, 1971 LT1 Vert Corvette, 06 Ext Cab Z88 5 spd Canyon, 08 Z71 Ext Cab Sierra

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    well i was thinking just taking my cars around it a couple times. like what you can do at the nuringberg(sp) in europe. on normal afternoons you can drive your car around their track for 5 euros a lap. on that long of a track that's not bad. i was hoping for something like that. i know i don't have a good braking system for it. i just wanted to upgrade to 98+ so that i'd have a bit more. my 911 is pretty good for it though. it handles really nice. braking is so so but you don't need to brake too much in it anyways.
    Not quite 5 euros a lap, the nurburgring is "The cost for driving a single lap of the Nordschleife is €21 for each car or motorcycle. Multi-lap tickets can be purchased for a lower per-lap price, such as 4 laps at a cost of €70 (€17.50 per lap). Additional multi-lap prices are 8 laps for €135, 15 laps for €235, or 25 laps for €370. An annual ticket with unlimited laps, valid from January to December, can be purchased for €995."

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    Not quite 5 euros a lap, the nurburgring is "The cost for driving a single lap of the Nordschleife is €21 for each car or motorcycle. Multi-lap tickets can be purchased for a lower per-lap price, such as 4 laps at a cost of €70 (€17.50 per lap). Additional multi-lap prices are 8 laps for €135, 15 laps for €235, or 25 laps for €370. An annual ticket with unlimited laps, valid from January to December, can be purchased for €995."
    cool. still that's not bad at all. i would pay it. i would love to go do that, but there's nothign like that around here.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

The price is not bad as long as you don't have an accident. I remember reading about how much you have to pay in the event you wreck your car in the track. Since it is considered a public road traffic laws apply and some insurance companies exclude coverage for trips to the ring so check your policy and any pertaining information carefully. Here is a quote form wikipedia: "The costs can also be prohibitive with vehicle recovery, track closure penalties and armco repairs putting some unfortunates up to €15,000 out-of-pocket."

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I still would love to go someday though!

black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

some from my local autox

and pouncing on some brittish biscuit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information