Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

F-body road racing?

So the main track I like to hang out in NJ, Raceway Park, has driving school classes. $225 for 8 hrs of learning/track time. But it scares me if something went wrong. One issue is the rigidity of the f-bodies. I have UMI strut tower brace and subframe connectors to strengthen the car but is it enough for a track? will the excessive turning under high speeds easily cause twist is the car? How well do these cars hold up?

Thanks

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Our cars do well, the frames are alot stronger then older generations and people are surprised at how well our "straight line pigs" do. As the instructor weens you off and you go faster and faster you will notice you will get brake fade. The remedy braided brake lines with high temp brake fluid. Our rotors and calipers are good for short term use but apparently the caliper is thin and under high temps bends away from the rotor. You can also use 20w50 for track use, you are learning so I don't know how hot the motor will be running it is just what people use when road racing(don't think it's an issue just throwing it out there).
    Probably just focus on lines and fluid.
    If you wanted a "cheap" brake kit you could piece together one from a z51 vette, or a z06
    a cts-v install
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/suspen...ll-w-pics.html
    again have fun and don't be surprised when the brakes fade.
    Last edited by c5z28; 10-06-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Are you required to have a roll cage for this class?

wow, i never thought of those issues. Did you replace your brake system to fix the problem? and no, i dont believe a roll cage is required. its just a beginner class. but after these issues i think ill wait a bit longer before i go ahead and road race.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

Our Cars do quite well, I've been to VIR many times and can usually keep up with the Vettes and such. Here's a link to another site that has ton's of F Body racing info. http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/ I've never had a problem with my car twisting, but there are some areas that could use some beefing up. The front swaybar mounts are somewhat weak. Frrax has lots of good info for road racing and autox.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by tav8ws6 View Post
    wow, i never thought of those issues. Did you replace your brake system to fix the problem? and no, i dont believe a roll cage is required. its just a beginner class. but after these issues i think ill wait a bit longer before i go ahead and road race.
    Fix what you break, no car is ready for the track stock. DO IT!

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

their road course is pretty tight, so you never hit really high speeds. stock brakes with good fluid and lines should be plenty for a beginner on that track. other than that you should be perfectly fine stock. your power steering pump probably won't love it but you're not going to blow anything up. just to be safe run an extra half quart of oil to prevent starvation. very rare, but better safe than sorry.

I plan on doing it eventually, money just always seems to be tight

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

with racing, you'll end up learning a lot about yourself and your car. You have very light mods. If you were doing it for fun, then that'll be $225 worth of fun (very well worth it, and i'm not knocking you). If you're going to be competitive, you might want to set your car up in competition trim and learn on THAT instead. Hopefully you'll get an instructor who has had Fbody experience-that would make it all the more worth while.

it sounds like a car thats mostly stock would be absolutely fine for a beginner track course. so as long as my brakes dont break donw on me and ill add extra oil and brake fluid, then i should be good. cool, im excited.

Blue

I started with a fully stock car on Street tires. as I gained more and more seat time I started upgrading the car, Shocks are the first place to start for sure. It's bad to learn the ropes on a fully prepared car because it will mask so many beginner mistakes that will be impossible to correct as you get faster and faster... My .02

Quote Originally Posted by beach cruiser View Post
    I started with a fully stock car on Street tires. as I gained more and more seat time I started upgrading the car, Shocks are the first place to start for sure. It's bad to learn the ropes on a fully prepared car because it will mask so many beginner mistakes that will be impossible to correct as you get faster and faster... My .02
    Very well said ...

I started in a 98 TA street car doing HPDE's like the OP described ...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdGrYXUs7C0[/ame]

And progressed to CMC, wheel to wheel racing ...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXyhPrzpi4E[/ame]

But the most fun is after the day's racing and all the lies that get told in the pits.

Blue

Mitchntx,
    You're on FRAXX right? I gotta go to Dallas, thought about get'n up for a few beers with ya!
    Beach Cruiser

wow, awesome videos. that looks like so much fun! the bump on the camaro was kinda funny too, hope no paint was swapped there.

BC -
    Let me know when you trip brings you here. It's be great to get together and bench race.

TAV8 - it amazes me how "tough" these cars really are. I have marks from several cars showing on mine. The first one is always the toughest. When you touch, it sounds like the whole car was just ripped in half. You get out and its a small wrinkle at the most.

It happens rarely, though. We have 4 races, 2 qualifying session and a practice each weekend. And we have 6 race weekends a year. I just completed my 4th year.

I still have all the same body panels and paint that I started with. Its really not that big of a deal.

wow im impressed with the durability. what have you done to your car to make it road race worthy? wheels, tires, engine, transmission, braking, suspension?

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

wow im impressed with the durability. what have you done to your car to make it road race worthy? wheels, tires, engine, transmission, braking, suspension?
    would like to know as well

hey, 02sweet, is that the Sunoco Camaro raised cowl hood you have? looks sweet

99 Hugger Z28, 03 R6

I took mine on a road course for the first time last month. It was fucking awesome! But my tires are old and liked to slide, stock brakes started to fade, and the power steering would whine on about the 4th lap. The ls1 fbodies have no power steering cooler (mine), or a return loop in free air by the rack, or a return loop through the radiator coolant hose. On the winter mod list for mine: power steering cooler, new tires, hawk brake pads, and fluid flushes.

Dont worry too much about your car. You have a lot to learn to be fast. A noob with a fast car is more likely to go off roading. Road course "fast" doesnt mean hp, means corner speeds. Have fun, learn as much as you can, and post pics/vids!

cool that sounds like it was fun! Dont WS6's come with power steering coolers? I believe i read that once.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

hey, 02sweet, is that the Sunoco Camaro raised cowl hood you have? looks sweet
    YUP! Its a Sunoco cowl hood. It's 3 1/2" tall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information