230/230 .613 .598 111+3 "el torro"
    LTs
    LS6 intake
    Cutout

Suspension-

UMI SFC
    UMI Re-location Brackets
    UMI LCAs non-adjustable

I have them set in the middle hole on the relocation bracket I believe.

Tires are 315/35/17 Nitto 555R 18psi

Gears are 2.73s

Transmission is built with fresh valve body and solenoids. No shift kit. SS4000.

I heated up the tires and tried going from about 1500rmps, spun punching it.

Tried 1500rpms again, eased into the throttle, hooked, then spun in the upper RPMS and chirped into 2nd.

Tried 3500rpms and eased into it, hooked, but kinda slow, not enough throttle I guess.

Not sure what else I can try, tires perhaps, but what....295/45/17 MTs?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Stock 10 bolt?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yep, 2.73s.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Mickey thompsons are a real nice drag radial. Know someone with a p1sc running mid 11's thanks to those. Be happy it's not on real street tires

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

After grenading two carriers and a set of gears when I put my M/Ts on, having tires that slip some aren't a bad thing.... but M/Ts will definately give you hook. I run them and they work well IMO. I don't know if they're the best street tire though.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Mickey thompsons are a real nice drag radial. Know someone with a p1sc running mid 11's thanks to those. Be happy it's not on real street tires
    That's how I got into the 11's.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    After grenading two carriers and a set of gears when I put my M/Ts on, having tires that slip some aren't a bad thing.... but M/Ts will definately give you hook. I run them and they work well IMO. I don't know if they're the best street tire though.
    Probably scary enough on a foggy morning
    I'd imagine longevity is non-existent.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Probably scary enough on a foggy morning
    I'd imagine longevity is non-existent.
    I got about 1 season out've mine. 20 or so passes at the track and maybe 2000k miles street if that. And they can get a little squirrelly on those damp mornings.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I plan on upgrading gears soon to like 3.42s or 3.73s, which will make it even worse.

I was thinking these 00 rated Toyos might be good, some people really like them.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...q+n%252Fa.html

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I got about 1 season out've mine. 20 or so passes at the track and maybe 2000k miles street if that. And they can get a little squirrelly on those damp mornings.

That's as long as a MT lasts?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

X2 on the Mickey's (see my sig). Gotta heat them up some though, otherwise they'll slip 'n slide just as bad as the 555r's...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    That's as long as a MT lasts?
    I had M/T ET Streets (non-radial) on my 67 back in the day. I got 3,000 miles out of them... They are not designed to last. OTOH, they are designed to grip.

Take yer choice...

I've found the MT drag radials to work the best. Although M&H has a new one out now I'd like to try.

I don't worry about the weather, I run them on a fair weather car anyway. Can't be worried about tire wear either. They work, so I use them, and just change them when it's time.

If all this stuff is a factor for you,,,then you'll have to make compromises. But it sounds like a couple things are going on here. If this is a daily driver then you'll just have to pick a tire that works in the weather, and not worry so much about how it hooks. Maybe you need another set of wheels with stickies to switch over to on the weekends for some fun.

Or,,,,this car has reached a point where it's not a practical daily ride anymore, and you need another form of transportation throughout the week.

You could also look into some other suspension tricks to make things work a little better. I don't think rear control arm relocation brackets are enough, that only changes the instant center but sometimes creates pinion angle issues. Pinion angle is important to make it work, that needs to be made adjustable. A right rear air bag to preload the pass side helps. Adjustable shocks are huge in suspension tuning.
    A trick we do under the pure stock rules is run a spacer between the sway bar frame brackets and the frame. It keeps the bracket from smashing the rubber bushings so the sway bar moves up and down more freely. You can keep the links hooked up this way (per rules) but it allows more front end movement. Still drives nice on the street too

There are other tricks to do that get more in depth, I won't get into it here, but spending alot of time at the track to dial it in is your best bet.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The stall is shocking the hell out of them.

On the street...I noticed no traction difference from a 315 Nitto DR to a 275/50 MT radial.

Firebirdjones pretty much summed up my thoughts. Suspension would aid a bunch. If I can get my car to hook on them, you should be able to as well.
    For that matter....Dan can warm them up and get his to hook pretty well....which surprised me quite a bit seeing as how he also has the Nitto DR's and a LOT more power.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well it looks like I need more info. on suspension then.

A friend of mine does like 1.5 on M/Ts at the track. He doesn't have any suspension mods.

But that's the track...

Ya, these 4th gen torque arm setups aren't horrible, they are just expensive to work with. I've seen alot of stock suspension 4th gens run 1.5 60 foot times.
    There are things you can do that are cheap but to get really in depth it starts costing money.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the issue is simple...you need to heat the shit out of the 555Rs period..they are a great DD driving tire (over 4k miles on them with about 5 passes..and have driven through a downpour were roads were washed out..and handled great) the trade off is you need to heat them to hell to stick.

Black
    00 WS6

I have Hoosier QTPs on my car for drag racing. I don't use them on the street because they suck in the rain, however, they are a very good tire at the track.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

My Hoosier slicks hook really good on the street. Yes they are not street legal but have never had an issue. The bad thing if it rains you will need to park the car. Also you will need some heat in them if you sat parked some where. If you have been driving around they will have some heat in them.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Link to Hoosiers? These the same tires as the QTPs?

Thread Information