Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire pressure?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Tire pressure?

I might be headed to the track for the first time tomorrow. I'm not sure what tire pressure to run.

I have stocker rims with yokahoma s-drives all the way around (275 ovbiously). I've heard its good practice to over inflate the front tires alittle and deflate the rears for better grip.

Does anyone know a good pressure to run?

I'm not familiar with Yokohamas?? But I've had very different experiences with street tires with air pressures all over the place.

Generally speaking, most stock street radials tires don't work as well at the strip with too much air removed. They tend to cup the center, which is even more prevelant on a 275 wide tire with no sidewall to speak of.
    So it's just something you'll have to experiment with. I have found with stock tires, I run better 60 foot times with more air in the rear, somewhere between 35-40 psi, rather than taking more air out, but again, it's something you'll have to try. You'll want an even contact patch accross the entire width of the tire.
    On Polyglass tires that we ran in pure stock races (pre 72 stuff) I found those tires liked to be pumped up like balloons, usually 45 psi in the rear worked good. Taking air out of them created mucho tire spin. They are a very strange and touchy tire.

Best advice I could give, is to leave a couple of small burnout marks, get out and look. Study the contact patch compared to the tire. Light in the center and heavy on the sides means it needs more air. Heavy in the center and light on the sides means air needs to be removed. Once you get a good even mark accross the entire width, I'd say that's a good starting point at the track, then minor adjustments from there.

On the front tires you can pump them up as safe as you feel you want to go. I've seen guys in the pure stock classes pump the Polyglass tires up to 55 psi in the front trying to get that last little bit

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Running Falken street tires last year, I pumped the front to 35 and dropped the rear to 25. At the time, I only had a catback so it was basically stock power to the wheels with an A4. Ran a best of 13.395 at around 106 mph.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Running Falken street tires last year, I pumped the front to 35 and dropped the rear to 25. At the time, I only had a catback so it was basically stock power to the wheels with an A4. Ran a best of 13.395 at around 106 mph.
    Cool, thanks Jeff. Stay in 3rd through the line?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Cool, thanks Jeff. Stay in 3rd through the line?

Most runs it did stay in third. I think it went into OD on just a few of the passes, but it was about right at the line.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Most runs it did stay in third. I think it went into OD on just a few of the passes, but it was about right at the line.
    Really?? You have alot of gear in it??

I run the stock 3.23's in my auto, and it's not even close to using all of 3rd gear at a 1/4 mile track. I cross at 106-107 mph and I'm only turning around 5,000 rpms give or take. The computer isn't programmed to hit 4th until 6,000.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Really?? You have alot of gear in it??

I run the stock 3.23's in my auto, and it's not even close to using all of 3rd gear at a 1/4 mile track. I cross at 106-107 mph and I'm only turning around 5,000 rpms give or take. The computer isn't programmed to hit 4th until 6,000.

That was on 3.23's -- it's possible I lifted enough to trigger a shift. Couldn't tell you were it was in the revs. I was too busy having fun.

Having fun is the best part

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Fun it was!

Left pressure at 32psi, ran 13.5 at 106, 2.5 60ft (ugh), rev limited it in 3rd about 10-20ft before the finish line. Need to have frost fix that for me. It was quite the learning experience, I learned I can't launch! Lol

pewter
    2000 camaro Z28

practice makes it all better just wish i had track close not back roads ha ha

I agree with the comment on 3rd gear being at roughly 5000pm (Or Lower). My A4 hit at least 125mph in 3rd, its closer to 140 currently but I run the rpms a bit into the 6ooo's. (with the stock 3.23 rear end of course)

Just another thought, one post suggested doing a few burn outs and seeing what the contact patch looked like....but has anyone had a set of tires that just wouldn't leave a black mark before? I swear the tires on my WS6 could catch fire and still not leave a mark, and I've encountered this before on one of my older cars when I was in highschool....I thought it was great then, I could peel out (big smoke, big sound) and leave no evidence. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I agree with the comment on 3rd gear being at roughly 5000pm (Or Lower). My A4 hit at least 125mph in 3rd, its closer to 140 currently but I run the rpms a bit into the 6ooo's. (with the stock 3.23 rear end of course)

Just another thought, one post suggested doing a few burn outs and seeing what the contact patch looked like....but has anyone had a set of tires that just wouldn't leave a black mark before? I swear the tires on my WS6 could catch fire and still not leave a mark, and I've encountered this before on one of my older cars when I was in highschool....I thought it was great then, I could peel out (big smoke, big sound) and leave no evidence. lol
    I haven't had that happen since I ran an old set of rock hard Kelly Superchargers Ooops, that might be a bit too old for people to remember.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I clearly remember those tires... from back in the day.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Does the stock A4 allow a shift into 4th at WOT?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Yes it does.. I do not manually shift my A4. I leave it in OD. Back when I had 2.73's it would shift into 4 at wot right at or just after the line. But that was with ET Streets. On stockers it would have been past the line a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Yeppers it does. It happens on mine right at around 125 mph or so with the 3.23's and 6,000 rpm in 3rd.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yeppers it does. It happens on mine right at around 125 mph or so with the 3.23's and 6,000 rpm in 3rd.
    No wonder there are so many busted 4L60E's out there.

Don't know what you mean.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I'd imagine if I actually hook up I'll need to run farther into 3rd, meaning I'll need to remove/extend my rev limiter? Wouldn't shifting into 4th be slowing me down?

Or just break the rear end and put 4.10's in it? With 4.10's, do you stay in 4th? I've read somewhere here it may require a shift into 5th.

Thread Information