Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

stock LS1, A4 or M6 better at track?

if you raced the same LS1 car which one gives better 1/4mi time A4 or M6? and why...
    I know once you get into stall, gears, DR sticky tires etc, things can change for the better on both sides, but as bone stock which one wins A4 or M6 and by how much usually? I heard a lot of "hear say" about this so I need some links to tech magazines covering this issue if possible as well. Thanks!

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

A4 will yield more consistent launches

Awaiting Activation
    stock vs. stock with equal driver skill the M6 will win. They trap higher by usually 1-2mph. Though the A4 is easier to launch and is easier to get good 60' times with.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

an automatic tranny done up right will OWN, no way a human can shift faster and harder

but...

Manuals are way more fun to drive for those who arent always at the track

lookin for a ws6

re

an automatic tranny done up right will OWN, no way a human can shift faster and harder

but...

Manuals are way more fun to drive for those who arent always at the track[/QUOTE]

Green Monkey
    But what he asked was "stock for stock". We all know, or most of us know that a done up tranny in an auto will own. But "stock for stock" of which he asked is a different story. In my experience, with competent drivers the M6 tends to edge out the A4. In their stock configuration the Manual gets a higher trap speed, less parasitic hp loss through the tranny, so with similar 60' times the stock M6 has a slight edge to the stock A4

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monkey View Post
    But what he asked was "stock for stock". We all know, or most of us know that a done up tranny in an auto will own. But "stock for stock" of which he asked is a different story. In my experience, with competent drivers the M6 tends to edge out the A4. In their stock configuration the Manual gets a higher trap speed, less parasitic hp loss through the tranny, so with similar 60' times the stock M6 has a slight edge to the stock A4
    I tend to believe that, that's what I've been hearing around the board. so A4 is still king at track if stalled, else stock vs stock A4 will own if an average M6driver... I also heard that an M6 reving at 4-5k dumping the clutch in 2nd at track is very expensive meaning it will mess up the tranny pretty fast. true or false?

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I tend to believe that, that's what I've been hearing around the board. so A4 is still king at track if stalled, else stock vs stock A4 will own if an average M6driver... I also heard that an M6 reving at 4-5k dumping the clutch in 2nd at track is very expensive meaning it will mess up the tranny pretty fast. true or false?

Stock for stock with equal drivers 6 speed will own the Auto. Once the auto gets modded it will then out perform a six speed 90% of the time.

You only dump it in second on the street if you have problems spinning. Even then you have to know what you are doing for a 2nd gear launch. If you do that at the track you are going to be asking for trouble. BTW- I usually leave from 5000-5500rpms at the track.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I use 2nd gear to warm the tires.

Launch from about 4000 (so far) in first gear. GO!!!!
    Tranny is good...for now.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Mod for mod A4 FTW. Take a stalled A4 against an M6 with a good clutch... The A4 will go through the 1320 1st.

Green Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I use 2nd gear to warm the tires.

Launch from about 4000 (so far) in first gear. GO!!!!
    Tranny is good...for now.
    Yea, I only use 2nd gear for warming the tires. Flip the line-lock on, start out in 1st, then shift to 2nd. I launch anywhere from around 3500-4500 in 1st gear depending on track conditions and whether I have DR's or street tires.

silver
    2000 corvette coupe

stock cars the m6 will be about .3 seconds faster, with a good launch, that comes from several car magazines

Quote Originally Posted by 2000silvervette View Post
    stock cars the m6 will be about .3 seconds faster, with a good launch, that comes from several car magazines
    that is prob a stat that a pro driver did. most of the people in reality don't launch that fast in M6 to put .3 difference, the 60ft stats are better for M6 stock vs stock is u hook right. A4 gives much more consistency. my 2 cents.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    that is prob a stat that a pro driver did. most of the people in reality don't launch that fast in M6 to put .3 difference, the 60ft stats are better for M6 stock vs stock is u hook right. A4 gives much more consistency. my 2 cents.
    Unless you're into bracket racing or competitive drag racing, consistancy really doesn't mean squat. For me its not about how often I can run the same time, its about getting the best time possible and then trying to match or beat it. M6 is just way more fun, street or strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Unless you're into bracket racing or competitive drag racing, consistancy really doesn't mean squat. For me its not about how often I can run the same time, its about getting the best time possible and then trying to match or beat it. M6 is just way more fun, street or strip.
    I agree. M6 can be more fun at street, but A4 when stalled and built up right is more fun a strip, even on street if you do a roll from 20mi then the stalled is better experience than M6 since upto like 45mi/hr you peel out with more torque then it drives stock M6, locking at 45mi/hr..

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

Dont know bout all that.....My buddy ran 12.8 with a bone stock a4...just had a K&N air filter

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frankthetank View Post
    Dont know bout all that.....My buddy ran 12.8 with a bone stock a4...just had a K&N air filter
    I don't buy this for a second.

Unless the DA was -2000.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

im serious no bull shit.......he did have drag radials on it though....but stilll......that is what he ran.....it is at only 0-100ft above sea level

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    so you say consistancy doesnt mean squat. hmm well what if you are out havign fun one day showing off andjust having a blast. you being an m6 have a best track time of 13.0 and the A4 that rolled up to the light next to you also has a best time of 13.0. I think whoever you are showing off for might be a little disappointed that you got SMOKED by a crappy auto. I normally do about 8 track runs everytime I go and ALL runs are within a tenth of each other whereas M6s even with a good driver will vary by at least 3-4 tenths.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I can't see the DR's making much difference without a stall.
    Would like to see it though.

Not saying the car didn't run that...I just have a small problem with a 12.8 stock stalled A4.
    Might just be a freak.

Thread Information