Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Should I launch it?

So recently I just got done with my mini build, I have dyno numbers, but I want track numbers....thing is I'm terrified to launch this thing due to the shitty 10 bolt. So my question is what should I do? Just say to hell with it and make a few passes or just wait till I get enough for a 12bolt?

I'm currently running on a set of 295's for daily driving, but if I take it to the track I have a set of 315 NT555Rs I'll be using.

The car makes 420rwhp/390tq
    M6, MS3 Cam, FAST 92/92, LS7 Clutch, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, Lid, K&N, OBX LT's, 3in ORX True Duals, KYB AGX shocks, BMR 3-Point SFCs, BMR springs, BMR Adj. PHR, LCA Relos, STB, 315 NT555Rs, DeepDish C5Z06s.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Street tires are not going to hook hard.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Launch it easy for now and see what she runs
    Is this your only mode of transportation?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

If you have the money for a 12 bolt/9 inch and are ready to make the purchase or its not your only vehicle then do it! (yolo? ) I launched my car soooooo many times on the 10 bolt with ET streets and it never broke :crossesfingers: even with the 4.10's in there, then again I think there are stronger 10 bolts than others but they all suck anyways.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

If you are hestitant, it is because you are smart and cautious. Take it easy, and leave the slicks at home till you have your rear.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

My buddy runs his SS M6 H/C car all the time,he is at the track as much as me(almost every weekend) he knows its over if he hooks .

So he runs for MPH and babies it out of the hole then powershifts like a MOFO the rest of the way his best is 119mph.

The best part is when we go heads up he gets all syched and blows a shift every time.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

NBM
    1999 TA A4

BTW he fried his clutch the last time out and could be going stalled auto.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Street tires are not going to hook hard.
    Yeh that's why i was considering just going with my street tires, for safe measure. But that would defeat the purpose of seeing what the car is capable of.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Launch it easy for now and see what she runs
    Is this your only mode of transportation?
    for the time being, yes, because I don't drive very much (just work, school, gym). But I'm on the verge of buying a beater.

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    My buddy runs his SS M6 H/C car all the time,he is at the track as much as me(almost every weekend) he knows its over if he hooks .

So he runs for MPH and babies it out of the hole then powershifts like a MOFO the rest of the way his best is 119mph.

The best part is when we go heads up he gets all syched and blows a shift every time.
    That was the second option I was considering, baby it out of the hole, then let the dog loose....but again, I'll be dissapointed in the time I receive...

Are there any viable upgrades I could make to the 10 bolt to insure its longevity?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    315 NT555Rs I'll be using.
    That is a street tire

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You may as well run it, just leave soft. Go to 3500 rpm and slip the clutch. You will save the rear for now and still give you decent times expect for the 60' numbers.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    Yeh that's why i was considering just going with my street tires, for safe measure. But that would defeat the purpose of seeing what the car is capable of.

for the time being, yes, because I don't drive very much (just work, school, gym). But I'm on the verge of buying a beater.

That was the second option I was considering, baby it out of the hole, then let the dog loose....but again, I'll be dissapointed in the time I receive...

Are there any viable upgrades I could make to the 10 bolt to insure its longevity?
    I wouldn't botther you will be wasting your money,maybe a stud girdle type rear end cover you can get them for about $149.00

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

When it comes to your dd, I'd keep off the track. Going to work or school is too important to be hung up on a broken ride because you wanted to go to the track. If you do go, baby it. And I wouldn't spend money on the 10 bolt, if you want to waste money ill give you my PayPal address

I say put it on the wood and let it fly......

Then pick up the broken pieces and winch it on the trailer

All kidding aside, you can ease it out of the hole and still grab decent 60 foot times on stock rubber with some practice. 1.89 was the best I did on stock rubber when I was still running the stock rear, slip the clutch a bit and go. If you watch C5 and C6 vettes that's how they drive them all the time, seems they have wheel hop issues if you get too aggressive with them.

Nothing to be disappointed about, just have some fun with it, see what it MPH's.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. They make new rear ends every day.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Google GM 10 bolt build, and look for the artical written by GM High Tech where thay hopped up a 10 bolt for their Sti Killer very interesting read. I know thay are a weak link but according to this artical there have been great advances in parts and for a little over 1G you could rebuild a little piece of mind to go have some fun with.. With me I have so many projects in mind and money is always a issue $2-3,000+ for a complete unit is a little steep for now..
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Google GM 10 bolt build, and look for the artical written by GM High Tech where thay hopped up a 10 bolt for their Sti Killer very interesting read. I know thay are a weak link but according to this artical there have been great advances in parts and for a little over 1G you could rebuild a little piece of mind to go have some fun with.. With me I have so many projects in mind and money is always a issue $2-3,000+ for a complete unit is a little steep for now..
    1k gets you 3/4 of the way to a used 12 bolt,I see them going for $1200-$1500 all the time on tech.

They also grenaded that rearend not too long ago

That car now has a drop in Dana 60 I believe

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ We joked about it on here when they built it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    They also grenaded that rearend not too long ago

That car now has a drop in Dana 60 I believe
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Nitto's don't do too well at the track. You won't be cutting a much better 60' with those 555R's as you do with regular width street tires IMO.

Mickey Thompson's are another story.

In the event it does go, used 10 bolts (full assembly) run anywhere from $100-$450. Plenty out there

Thread Information