Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

S-Charged Cobra vs. Stock ls1 M6

Can a stock LS1 take out a 2003-04 Cobra in a drag race? My friend keeps saying his 2000 stock Camaro M6 is taking them out but I'm skeptical.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

As i sit i ran a vert a few months back 03-04 convertible Cobra and pulled 1-1 1/2 cars to about 120 mph, he was bone stock. If i was stock going up against a stock Termi i dont think so. Ive seen some vids that prove otherwise but in the same vid saw a driver change and then the cobra did alot better and pulled easy. I think either way with a good driver bont stock cobra should pull on a stock LS1.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

black
    2002 firebird trans am

cobra should take out the ls1, if the cobra driver can drive decent and not burn out.

red
    99 camaro

I have had both and the cobra would be the winner with good driving. This is not a biased opinion either as I dont have the cobra now just my lil 99 maro with boltons.

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula

I've been witness to a few cobra vs stock ls1 races and honestly it comes down to how good the driver is. I've heard that the cobra is faster from magazines but from everything I've seen at the track and on the street the cars are pretty even. In the races I've seen if the cobra spins at all he's usually done.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

I don't even see how it's possible for our cars stock to take a 03-04 termi. they're is a vid up here of me racing a 01 w/o boost and I barely won. I'm also making about 320 to the wheels and he was making around 295. I don't see how 300hp stock could take the 370-ishhp of a termi, doesn't add up

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ok here is the vid i was talking about. The cobra at first was completly stock and then with just a couple of minor stuff is able to keep up and not do bad at all. Now on the other end of the spectrum ive seen a vid of a bone stock termi crush a 100 shot camaro ss and that to me is impossible almost, unless the camaro driver had more then just the nitrous not working.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmbETC3ZgeI&feature=related[/ame]

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    that doesn't make much sense to me, the driver in the cobra must have been retarded or something.

Here's my video I mentioned earlier, something just doesn't add up with that vid
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD87vv-gx70[/ame]

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Ok here is the vid i was talking about. The cobra at first was completly stock and then with just a couple of minor stuff is able to keep up and not do bad at all. Now on the other end of the spectrum ive seen a vid of a bone stock termi crush a 100 shot camaro ss and that to me is impossible almost, unless the camaro driver had more then just the nitrous not working.

video must be rigged
    It takes more than "a few" minor bolt-ons for a camaro to beat a termi like that. Full bolt-ons and you'll still be seeing tailights. not by much but its not gonna happen like the video unless the cobra driver can't drive

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

it could be alot of things, its street racing. I dont think the driver is really good either on the cobra. I know of many vids as well were a modded LS1 cant come close to a cobra thats is stock or lightly modded so who knows.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have a full bolt on A4 TA and when I had my 3.23's I raced a cobra with just magnaflows on it from a 40 roll and he was just inching me up to 130. I recently raced one with my 3.73's and a more aggresive tune, that one just had dynomax exhaust on it according to the owner and we races from 60 to about 11o side by side. Then we lined up at a red light and u easily jumped him off the line since my BFG's stick good and he spun a little and I pulled till about 70 then we were pretty even from there. My A4 is fully tuned as well so it shifts hard, fast, and runs to 6100 in every gear.
    I've also raced other f bodys with6 spd and bolt ons that used to walk away until the new tune and gears. Also took out a 2010 Ss 6 spd from 50 to 130 slowly walked away from him. I though his car would have been faster than it was.

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

Are those gen 5's faster than an LS1? I hear they're only faster on paper. I'll stick with my Gen 4 for the time being...

You guys really don't believe what people are saying about their cars on the internet do ya???
    And then watching the videos???

You could even see these cars in person, and they may still look completely stock,,,,but are they??? I mean really, most people that want to race aren't exactly honest about what they have done to their cars.

Real em' in,,,,hook, line, and sinker....

Just race what ya want and hope you brought enough.

White
    1998 Trans Am

A 2010 camaro is faster if your comparing stock to stock. A full bolt on gen 4 is faster though.
    It is true unless you check under thehood you can't tell what your running against, there is a good point though some mode can be hidden.
    Last edited by RyanJM; 04-01-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    A 2010 camaro is faster if your comparing stock to stock. A full bolt on gen 4 is faster though.
    It is true unless you check under thehood you can't tell what your running against, there is a good point though some mode can be hidden.
    That's right. You could put an LS1 Fbody in the low 12's or high 11's and still appear and sound completely stock.

The Cheater cams idle smooth and make close to 400 rwhp through the stock exhaust manifolds. You could run a converter in there, which is hidden, throw a gear in the car, which is hidden. Even do some sneaky weight reduction. Then tell everyone you have a bone stock Fbody. Throw on some drag radials and click off low 12's or maybe even high 11's with a stock appearing car and a smooth idle. With some sneaky suspension tricks you could do it on stock rubber.

Check out the FAST series of racing. 60's and 70's muscle cars are dipping into the 10's now at 130 mph on stock 6 inch wide bias ply tires and using stock (outward appearance) parts.
    These cars have to use all stock casting number parts right down to the exhaust manifolds. Nothing larger than a 2 1/2 inch exhaust system is allowed. No traction devices.
    I competed in the "pure stock" racing part of this series and I can honestly tell you when my bone stock (pure stock) car was parked next to a "FAST" competitor you couldn't tell any difference in the cars. But on the track they ran 10's and 11's while I was running 13's. A little food for thought.

Take one of those "FAST" cars and park it in a field of concours correct show cars, and you wouldn't know you were looking at a 10 second ride.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

The average stock 03/04 Cobra is 3-5 tenths and 3-5 mph quicker/faster than the average stock LS1 F-body.

For reference, my bone stock 04 Cobra went 12.6 @ 112 mph. Quickest I ever heard of stock 03/04 Cobra going was 12.4 @ 114 mph. My minor bolt-on 99 T/A went 12.8 @ 109 mph. Quickest I ever heard for a bone stock LS1 was 12.89 @ 108.

But on the street or the track, anything is possible. I've seen bone stock 03 Cobras go 14.4. Yup, 14.4. No doubt there have even been worse.

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's right. You could put an LS1 Fbody in the low 12's or high 11's and still appear and sound completely stock.

The Cheater cams idle smooth and make close to 400 rwhp through the stock exhaust manifolds. You could run a converter in there, which is hidden, throw a gear in the car, which is hidden. Even do some sneaky weight reduction. Then tell everyone you have a bone stock Fbody. Throw on some drag radials and click off low 12's or maybe even high 11's with a stock appearing car and a smooth idle. With some sneaky suspension tricks you could do it on stock rubber.

Check out the FAST series of racing. 60's and 70's muscle cars are dipping into the 10's now at 130 mph on stock 6 inch wide bias ply tires and using stock (outward appearance) parts.
    These cars have to use all stock casting number parts right down to the exhaust manifolds. Nothing larger than a 2 1/2 inch exhaust system is allowed. No traction devices.
    I competed in the "pure stock" racing part of this series and I can honestly tell you when my bone stock (pure stock) car was parked next to a "FAST" competitor you couldn't tell any difference in the cars. But on the track they ran 10's and 11's while I was running 13's. A little food for thought.

Take one of those "FAST" cars and park it in a field of concours correct show cars, and you wouldn't know you were looking at a 10 second ride.
    The Mustang factory stock class is like this too. You look at the cars and they have minor bolt ons and then they run high 11's! Most people in a mustang can't run that with a power adder!

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

termys were built to compete with 'vettes, not f-bodys.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Bologna.

There is no Mustang in the same class as Corvette. Never has been, never will be.

There was no F-body in 2003, so I guess by default the Vette was the closest target, but Ford was out to "Terminate" the LS1 F-Body, not the Corvette.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Bologna.

There is no Mustang in the same class as Corvette. Never has been, never will be.

There was no F-body in 2003, so I guess by default the Vette was the closest target, but Ford was out to "Terminate" the LS1 F-Body, not the Corvette.
    watch 1:15-1:32

or just the whole thing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGenQtqjpE8[/ame]

Thread Information