Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing Harness

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Racing Harness

Im thinking of purchasing a G-Force racing harness, just for the heck of it, but I was wondering if i need a roll cage or something for me to connect it to? I dont know the 1st thing about how to hook these harness up, the one im looking at is a 5pt, if i do need a cage does a 4 pt require a cage?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I'm wondering the same thing. I've heard if you put the back seat down you can mount them to the vertical floor part behind the seat. I don't know if that is correct though so I'm tunning in for the answer.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

subscribed.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

yo, ive been thinking lately about a 4 point as well. only person i know is a buddy in KY witha 300zx and 4 points...chicks dig them so they dont slide around in corners! is there anyone out there who has them?

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

wow this sucks, no one knows, i read something in my new gm performance mag, about a Harness Bar, of course there are thousands for hondas, EVO's, Impreza's but no F bodys

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

At LMPerformance.com they have some fairly decent prices on corbeau 3 pt racing harness, i have no clue at all how to hook these up, its frustrating, I found some harness bars by sparco for 399, but they were imports and corvettes, someone please help with the research, if we all put our heads together then we can come up with some answers

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Need a harness bar for it to be useful. Without it, it wont be very safe. There was a topic about this just the other day on "some other forum" you might want to read it, but make sure to come back here ASAP racing harness in f-bodies

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks Fluke, it was informative, but to be honest I dont care to much about safety , i just want a harness and i dont really want to remove my rear seats to put a cage in, I just want the looks, but lets say a 3pt does notr equire a cage or harness bar, then i would rather get that

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I've seen ricers with them just wrapped around the seats. I don't think they would do much good if they were not anchored though.

white
    98 Z-28

The shoulder belts of my 5 point mount to the roll bar.

white
    2002 z28

buddies stang with no cage mounted them to the floor with plate on top and bottom of car with a bolt going threw ... i think. but still no cage and still had a back seat if that helps

Bright Red
    2002 Firebird TransAm WS6

I've briefly researched it myself but had no luck in finding a harness bar made for F-bodies. If someone had some welding skills, I'm sure they could fab one up easily enough with some tubing and cap off the ends with plate. The only bolt in solution I found was a four point roll bar.

By the way, I've read that the shoulder straps on a harness should always be mounted directly behind you at roughly shoulder height, never down to the floor. Otherwise, in an accident it'll effectively collapse your spine.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Ouch! Thanks for that bit of info!

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

there is a Corbeau dealer about 30 minutes from me that I'm planning on visiting sometime inthe next couple weeks. I had forgotten about them from when I researched seats/harnesses years ago. I'll see what they recommend as far as harness bars while I'm down there and post my findings. Only thing I've found so far is that some cars have harness abrs that mount to where the rear seatbelts hook into the pillar thus requiring the rear seatbelts be removed...not like these back seats are good for anything anyways. Good excuse for weight reduction?

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

i called that corbeau dealer today. they focus mainly on helmets, track and motor cross racing and safety systems. they did not however have or know of any harness bars for our cars. he gave me a website that i will try from home where i am not surf controlled on the internet. let you know what i find out. its for a company in california.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

is anybody still interested in this thread?

the back seats in these cars are worthless anyways. heres my plan: drop a few pounds by removing the rear seat, then add a few poounds by having a custom harness bar made and bolt it to where the rear seatbelts mount. shouldnt be too expensive...just a bent tube with a flange welded on each end to bolt onto the car.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Good idea, but I want to keep my back seats.

None of this really does any good and won't have any positive affects,,,,and honestly,,,wouldn't pass NHRA inspection either.

Anything 11.49 or quicker requires a cage and a 5 point harness. (13.49 for a vert)..... If you check the NHRA rule book I believe it tells you the shoulder harness has to be bolted to the rear cross bar at shoulder height. Bolting it in any other fassion would fail tech even if the car doesn't run the number. As stated,,,,installing a 5 point without a cage to bolt the shoulder harness to is a hazzard and throws a big red flag with the tech guys.

There is a roll cage for F-bodies that keeps the back seat,,,and has a cross bar that is even removable.

Red
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Cool Harness Bar

I know that there is a harness bar in the Year One catalog for Firebirds. I think it was around $300.

Quote Originally Posted by 02CAWS6 View Post
    I know that there is a harness bar in the Year One catalog for Firebirds. I think it was around $300.
    I was thinking there was a sponsor here as well that sold them,,,a roll cage that is,,,,,

I don't think simply installing some sort of harness bar by itself would pass tech,,,I would have to read over the NHRA rules in detail.

Quite frankly though,,,,the harness isn't even required until 11.49 or quicker (13.49 for verts) and at this point the cage is required at the same time anyway,,,

Thread Information