View Poll Results: Do you think 1000ft racing is the answer. . . . ?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

25 92.59%
  • Temporarily

2 7.41%

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

NHRA limits TOP FUEL to 1000ft. passes. . . . . .

Anyone watch the races @ Mile High this weekend and watch history. . . . . . . First time in 60+ years they didn't race the whole 1/4 mile 1320ft. They have made both Top Fuel Classes run a mere 1000ft. until they can "make it safer"

NHRA

"In interim measure, Top Fuel, Funny Car to race 1,000 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7/2/2008

As the investigation continues into the tragic accident that took the life of driver Scott Kalitta, NHRA has announced that beginning at the Mopar Mile High Nationals in Denver, Colo., both the Top Fuel and Funny Car classes will race to 1,000 feet instead of the traditional 1,320 feet or one-quarter mile. This is an interim step that is being taken while NHRA continues to analyze and determine whether changes should be made to build upon the sport's long standing safety record, given the inherent risks and ever-present dangers associated with the sport.

This interim change was made by NHRA in collaboration with professional race teams. NHRA believes that racing the Top Fuel and Funny Car classes to 1,000 feet will allow NHRA and the racing community time to evaluate, analyze and implement potential changes based on the safety initiatives outlined last week.

With the change, fans will still be able to enjoy the sights, sounds and thrill of NHRA nitro racing with speeds around 300 mph and quick elapsed times to 1,000 feet.

Over the years, NHRA has implemented many initiatives to enhance safety including measures to limit speeds from increasing, personal protective gear, vehicle improvements, and track enhancements such as sand traps, catch nets and concrete barriers the entire length of the drag strip.

In the wake of the tragic series of events that took Kalitta's life, the following technical issues are currently under investigation: 1) what might be done to reduce engine failures; 2) parachute mounting techniques and materials as well as identifying a parachute material that could be more fire resistant; 3) exploring whether there is a way to increase brake efficiency when cars lose downforce due to the loss of the body; 4) analyzing additional methods that might be developed at the top end of the race track to help arrest runaway vehicles; 5) considering whether current speeds should be further limited or reduced to potentially improve safety.

"The board members of the Professional Racers Owners Organization (PRO) wholeheartedly and unanimously support this decision," said its president Kenny Bernstein. "We want to thank NHRA for listening to our input and suggestions to incorporate these changes. It is not lost on any of us that this constitutes a change in our history of running a quarter-mile, but it's the most immediate adjustment we can make in the interest of safety which is foremost on everyone's mind. This may be a temporary change and we recognize it is not the total answer. We will continue to work hand in hand with NHRA to evaluate other methods of making Top Fuel and Funny Car competition safer so that we might return to our quarter-mile racing standard. We also want to thank Connie Kalitta for his invaluable input. He has been a rock through these difficult times."

"
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

rapter34
    The 1320 is the standard! it is what has been used since the begining of drag racing. Without that how can you compaire times of old to new. Also, I mean come on its the 1/4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

hmm i missed the denver event on t.v .....i dont know how i feel about the "goals" they are looking at...i think its just the nature of the beast with top fuel where many little things can go wrong to make a big problem...hmm i didnt see the crash...i think i will google it.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Two threads about it in the AAG already.

Over-reaction to Kalitta's death.
    From what I understand, at the Mile High Nationals most of the driver's were still running them out to the 1320. This is from people that were in the stands last weekend.

I could be wrong on this as I don't know it for fact, just heard it several times.
    Top Fuelie's actually have just enough fuel to get to 1000ft, and the rest is momentum anyways?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Maybe they should make the damn sand trap more tha 50 ft long....Uphill shut down lanes like Bandemeire have to help so much though? Plus, it's such a slow track anway!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Plus, it's such a slow track anway!
    yeah..C runs on it..

Scott's death was tragic to be sure. But when was the last time a top fuel driver lost his life???? All these years with 300+ mph passes and only 1 fatality???? Sounds like a great safety record if you ask me.

It's NHRA over reacting to something that rarely happens. I say get over it and continue racing the way it was meant to be.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yeah..C runs on it..

I really like that track, now if only it wasn't 5800 feet up.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

thats dumb, they need to change it back

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Scott's death was tragic to be sure. But when was the last time a top fuel driver lost his life???? All these years with 300+ mph passes and only 1 fatality???? Sounds like a great safety record if you ask me.

It's NHRA over reacting to something that rarely happens. I say get over it and continue racing the way it was meant to be.
    I think last year up in NH.

silver
    85 firebird lt4

Im a fan of 1320. I still don't like restrictor plates in Cup and not liking 1000 foot fuel racing, but till a better idea is brought up- so be it. During the finals on tv, the one and only "Big" mentioned something I do like- restrict the fuel pumps. Let them run out the back door with less fuel flow. Amen.
    85 Firebird lt4 swap, t-tops, auto, saved from the hell of a crusher.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by eman View Post
    Im a fan of 1320. I still don't like restrictor plates in Cup and not liking 1000 foot fuel racing, but till a better idea is brought up- so be it. During the finals on tv, the one and only "Big" mentioned something I do like- restrict the fuel pumps. Let them run out the back door with less fuel flow. Amen.
    Yeah that is an idea many others have referred to over the past couple years.

The only interview I thought was really good and truthful was the one with Don Prudhomme. And as he said "It has gotten out of control. . . . . . Billet blower,billet rods,billet everything. . . . . The average man can't even build a car in our class these days and it's a shame! It's all of our faults. We don't even need to qualify anymore because we usually only have 15 cars running a 16 car field cause it's soooooo damn expensive."

hugger orange

it is sad when something like his accident happens, but its a risk you assume when particapating sports like this when you are pushing the limits of man and machine to be the best of best and the fastest of the fastest. if they shorten the run it becomes a new race and all of the setups on the car have to be changed...its like taking an 1/8 mile car and running the 1/4 with it and vice versa...and forget about trying to compare new times and records to old ones.
    R.I.P. Scott we will miss you

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Yeah that is an idea many others have referred to over the past couple years.

The only interview I thought was really good and truthful was the one with Don Prudhomme. And as he said "It has gotten out of control. . . . . . Billet blower,billet rods,billet everything. . . . . The average man can't even build a car in our class these days and it's a shame! It's all of our faults. We don't even need to qualify anymore because we usually only have 15 cars running a 16 car field cause it's soooooo damn expensive."
    Ya I saw that interview, and I agree. It's like any other form of racing nowadays. I believe it's happened twice this year so far,,,,a less than 16 car field that is.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Racers know the risks they take and thrive on the thrill from it. Most if not all would want to run the whole 1/4 anyway so let them.

do you think 300 feet would have helped scott? I don't see how changing it to 1000 feet would be much better at that speed.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

I don't think limiting the length is the answer; technology will render that limitation obsolete in due time. That's a given. Where there is a will (to go faster), there is a way (determination and technology).

What happens when they start hitting 300+ in a 1000 feet? Shorten it even further?

The answer, pure and (not so) simple, is better safety technology and regulations as well as advances in emergency crew training and equipment. I don't know if 'better' emergency crews/equipment would have helped in this case as the damage was probably done before anyone could do anything.

But that's just speculation.

Having said that, there is only so much stress that a human body can take before it breaks - and that's different for everyone, but there is pretty much a universal breaking point to what the average persons body can endure. Better safety gear and regs can help with that, but ultimately g forces (slamming into a guard rail at high speed) and high temperatures (fire) can be combated only so much.

So, what would have helped? Air bags or some sort of protective foam material to provide a coccoon / padding from the g forces and fire? Better fire surpression systems? A limit to the types of fuel they can run?

orange
    99 z28

morons! (nhra) sad state of america. soon all pointy objects will be round and all hard surfaces will have foam mats on them for safety...

who the hell drag races thinking there's no risk??? its supposed to be for the thrill!

Quote Originally Posted by Orange99z28 View Post
    morons! (nhra) sad state of america. soon all pointy objects will be round and all hard surfaces will have foam mats on them for safety...

who the hell drag races thinking there's no risk??? its supposed to be for the thrill!
    I agree 100%. America as a whole is getting very soft. I'm tired of all the safety being pushed on us in general nowadays. Making Americans a bunch of panzies.
    Shucks as kids we used to climb trees and fall down and break our arms and such,,,now people look at you like that was the craziest thing they have ever heard of

Thread Information