New best in the Camaro,,,woooohoooo

I am getting somewhere with HPtuner, thanks to all that have helped here.
    For those that don't know I am playing with an 02 SS convertable with an automatic.
    It weighs 3,620 lbs. plus my 200 lbs. butt in there.

In stock form with stock tune it went a best of 13.78 at 102 mph. 60 foots were consistent in the 2.10 range, launching clean. This was with a little over 1/2 tank of gas.

After playing with HPtuner, getting the fuel trim best I could, I started playing with PE using the narrow band 02 mv and being very carefull with small changes. With stock PE it was running 940-950 mv, just a tad rich so I started to bring PE down until I had 890-900 mv and left it at that. I could tell on the street it was helping so off to the track I went. This is commanding a 12.6 A/F ratio. Not quite that lean but trying to stay safe as I don't know the actual A/F ratio at the tailpipe.

I had to stop at Toys r Us to pick up some stuff for my boy,,,plus carrying the laptop, some cleaning supplies and towels, and all jack equipment etc....there was no attempt to remove weight, I just tossed it all in the trunk

First pass right off the street was 13.45 at 104 mph with a 2.10 60 foot. I was tickled to death the tune actually made some improvement. It launches clean, no wheel spin.
    I pull the car in the pits for a quicky cool down while I change the 1-2 shift point (it shifted at 5,900 rpms),,,,and add a little fuel in the PE table just to see how it reacts. I changed it to 12.4 commanded A/F ratio.

Again, gets away clean with 2.08 60 foot and runs 13.44 at 104 mph again. 1-2 shift is now where I want it,,,and the 02 mv logged on that run had fattened up slightly to 910-920 range so I put a commanded 12.6 A/F ratio back in the car and left the shift points alone and went for another pass.

Again the car launches nice with another 2.10 60 foot and runs another 13.45 at 104 mph. This car is deadly consistent, I couldn't believe it.
    I am no where near a perfect tune with this car but very happy with the results so far. It's running like it should be, comparable to most other stockish LS1's is not bad considering I am carrying around quite a bit of weight. At 3620 empty, plus me at 200 lbs.,,,all the junk in the trunk and this time running a full tank of gas, it was heavier than it had to be,,and also heavier than the last baseline pass I made above, yet it still went faster,,,,lol.
    It's so consistent I need to take this thing back on money night and go a few rounds

Now it's time for headers and a converter. Larry.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Good Larry I'm glad to see your playing with your new software!!!
    It takes alot of time to learn all the little tricks. You haven't played with the timing much yet...????
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Now stall that puppy and throw some DR's on it. It will be the best mod you made.

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Good Larry I'm glad to see your playing with your new software!!!
    It takes alot of time to learn all the little tricks. You haven't played with the timing much yet...????
    Ya I have played with the timing. It's bumped up slightly in the light throttle areas but I have concentrated mainly on full throttle with alot of logging. I have found at this point the car only likes about 24 degrees total timing with 94 octane pump gas. Anymore and it starts pulling 1-2 degrees out when I datalog. So far so good.

Red with Silver Graphics
    02 35th SS Camaro Ragtop

I ran 13.77 @ 102.97 2.1839 60' last night in my stock 35th 02, 3/4tr tank of fuel & tonneau covers in the trunk, forgot to take them out. The LS1 was pre det a little bit on Sunoco 94.
    Best run was in drive, no preload on the torque converter & go.

Not sure what you mean about the LS1 pre det comment, I can't figure out what that means.

I made all my runs in overdrive, I never really thought putting the shifter in drive did much of anything. Mine still shifts the same anyway.

Going to pick up a set of headers and y-pipe next, and retune the A/F ratio a little bit and go back and see what thats worth.

Your run is almost identical to my 02 SS vert as well when I was a bone stocker I went 13.78 at 102.50,,,,Nice to see a car nearly identical to mine run almost exactly the same.

Red with Silver Graphics
    02 35th SS Camaro Ragtop

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not sure what you mean about the LS1 pre det comment, I can't figure out what that means.

I made all my runs in overdrive, I never really thought putting the shifter in drive did much of anything. Mine still shifts the same anyway.

Going to pick up a set of headers and y-pipe next, and retune the A/F ratio a little bit and go back and see what thats worth.
    Predetonation, the engine had a bit of rattle on pass 2 & 3, I don't drive the 02 very much, so some of the gas might have been a bit older than it should have been. Next time I'll put a few gallons of 102 or some octane boost in it to see if it makes a difference.
    The last pass I made was in overdrive, but the best pass I made was in drive, I couldn't realy tell if there was a difference, my 3rd pass was the 13.77, I couldn't repeat or beat it for the rest of the night, closest was a 13.82.
    Sounds like it's running exactly where a stock ragger should be. Gotta love it, show up with the top down, tunes on, put the top up, & run down the track all evening.

Oh okay I gotcha. I was pretty much in the same boat as you,,,,that day I ran some 13.80's and could not duplicate or beat my 13.78 pass.
    The convertables seem to be heavier and off the pace of about 2-3 tenths but thats okay, I'll take the weight penalty for a drop top and find speed somewhere else.
    Just playing with the tune on mine, simple stuff really and dialing in a little timing and a better A/F ratio has gotten me to the 13.40's at 104 mph. Potential is there ,,,,,cheers. Larry.

Red with Silver Graphics
    02 35th SS Camaro Ragtop

The biggest reason I ran the car, was that I was sick of listening to all the bench seat racers at the local coffee shop. I didn't get to involved in the discussions, because I'm just not going to race the car on the street to prove a point. Anyhow, I've got other muscle cars & the 02 is definitely quicker than the old stuff, especially my 69 SS396. My 66 GTO tripower 4 spd might give it a run for the money, but not too many stock GTO's ran in the 13's.
    I'd be happy to pull a 13.5 out of it, but I just couldn't get back to the 13.77 all night, but you could set your watch on 13.8-13.9, the car ran very consistant.

White
    04 Cobra

Sounds like the tuning is working for you.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

good work. how long ago was the 13.72 run versus these runs?
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Thanks, yes so far I am happy with the progress of tuning, but a huge learning curve and I am still learning.
    The runs were about a month apart. Weather conditions were almost identical, I got very lucky there so my comparisons are decent. I baselined the car and then started tinkering with A/F ratio best I could using LTFT's first doing the VE tables then the MAF with alot of tuning on the street. After that I added some timing, and found 24 degrees to be a happy spot for now, then had to go back and touch up the VE and MAF again because the timing skewed those numbers a bit,,,,when I was happy with that I made a couple of full throttle runs on the street watching the 02 sensors and was shooting for around 900 mv to stay safe, as it was pig rich in PE mode commanding A/F ratios of 11.4 or there abouts. 02 MV's were way up in the mid 900's,,,so I slowly brought them down while I watched the knock count,,,and slowly commanded leaner A/F ratios and settled on 12.6 A/F ratio that gave me about 890 to 900 MV's and no knock,,,figured I would leave it there for now,,,pretty happy with the response on the street so back to the track it went. Right off the bat it ran a string of 13.40's. I think there is more there, A wide band will dial it in closer,,,just depends on how picky I want to get with it. Right now the Gas mileage has also picked up to 21 mpg city driving.
    I plan to keep tinkering with it and see what else is left in the car,,,then bolt on some headers and Y-pipe to see what thats worth.

A big thanks to MRR23 for posting up all the "how to" stuff on HPtuner,,,it's helped me find things I didn't know about.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

ah, i do what i can. i finally got into playing with the 408 and getting it idle tuned. still working on it and the motor. once i get a nice grip on it, i'll make a page on it.

That would be great. I have not done any idle tuning. When a camshaft is in my future that knowledge will come in handy. Thanks again.

Thread Information