Black
    2002 Camaro SS

My first real ET in the SS

OK, forgive me if this seems lame but I have to ask if this is normal. I took my car to the drag strip for the first time ever. I haven't driven a car on a real track since 1991 so I was a little nervous wondering if I would remember what the heck to do to get the car to run good and get a real good idea of what the car is capable of.
    On my first run I went around the water box and spun the tires maybe three or four revolutions just to clean them off. Mind you, I was on street tires and from what I could remember street rubber doesn't do well when big burnouts are used to heat them up. Anyway, I launched the car at 2K rpms and hammered the throttle. The car spun real hard in 1st and half way through second. My shifts weren't real crisp but weren't bad either. The car ran a 13.30 @ 108 mph with a 60 foot time of 2.3. The second run I did the same exact thing only the car seemed to hook up a little better and the shifts seemed a little crisper. The car ran a 12.94 @ 110 mph. I was elated and never expected to be in the 12's. The only mod to the car is hooker headers under the recomendations of Bob at Exotic Performance.
    My question is...is this a good ET and MPH or am I excited over a normal ET for these cars? I know the magazines say they can run 12's stock but I never seem to see in real life what the magazines say. I only made to passes because I was in awe at the car running a 12 second ET on street tires with a full tank of gas. I guess I'm still excited.
    There is no doubt the car could have run quicker with sticky tires but I am very curious what you all think. Any info, advise or words of wisdom from those who know is appreciated. Thanks for your inputs.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Nice run!

BTW.....I always seem to get better times with a full tank....I think the ass is a bit light and it doesn't hook as well

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks for the reply rbob93. I was hoping for some more folks to provide feedback on if this is a normal time for a mostly stock car but it looks like this is old news. I think I have to agree with you on the gas thing. The car didn't hook bad at all for being on street tires. Thanks again.

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Hell yea! those are real good times, especially with a slow sixty foot, your car wasnt made on friday..hehe. You mention magazine runs? You have to remember, sometimes they run in perfect conditions, and sometimes may give a " correct e.t. ", which means they take other factors in like air temp. altitude etc., then they equate their runs and come up with "their e.t." Oh yea, dont go through the water on streets, your only bringing some water up with you to the stage, its in the deeper base of the tire that never made contact, the while you sit there and stage it may be finally running down on to the track. Next time, drive around the water and do a small brake stand, pop the clutch and the quick stand on the brake enough to keep them spinning for a couple of seconds, its a quick thing to do, but its not hard, and you wont have the water up there with you. Make sense? Good times for just headers!

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Awesome...Thanks for the info and confirmation on the times. Needless to say, I couldn't be happier.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

Good runs for someone that hasn't raced in 15 year's. High 12's sounds right for the mod's you have. Just wondering what the temperature was when you ran. That will account as well. Feather the clutch off the line and you will run even faster. As far the magazine run's. Remember they are iceing down the intake and probably have alot of vht on the track for great hookage.
    2000 SS #1827,NBM,A4,leather,t-tops,lid,eibach springs,hotchkis lca's,slp lid,slp cold air induction,slp loudmouth,baer brakes up front,13.11@107 on street tires,12.90@109 on dr's....time for the cam and intake to be installed

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Still cant believe they have a track in Alaska..

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

The temperature that day was in the mid to upper fifties. While the air was fairly dry. They hadn't sprayed any VHT yet and we were the first of four cars down the track. I was there, I just wish my firebird didn't have a miss, that was very noticeable above 3,000, and traction issues. Oh I almost forgot the most important thing, driver ability or inability, this happend to be my first time racing my bird also. So I didn't have nearly as good of times as AlaskaSS did. He ran away from my during that 12 sec pass.
    Last edited by Frozen WS6; 09-09-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Thread Information