Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: m6 vs a4

White
    1998 Trans Am

m6 vs a4

stock for stock how much is m6 gonna take an a4 both TAs by? (assuming an average driver)

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

A4 should typically win, as it is better at the strip (Usually more consistant). M6's require alot of attention to drive. From a roll, forget about it, an M6 will clean an A4 bad.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Bob'sWS6
    A4 should typically win, as it is better at the strip (Usually more consistant). M6's require alot of attention to drive. From a roll, forget about it, an M6 will clean an A4 bad.
    really? i figured it would be the exact opposite. i assumed the higher RPM launch would take the auto off the launch, and then the more efficient shifts would be to the autos advantage from there on out.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by NE98LS1
    really? i figured it would be the exact opposite. i assumed the higher RPM launch would take the auto off the launch, and then the more efficient shifts would be to the autos advantage from there on out.
    I raced my buddies LS6 cammed 02 SS camaro, which was an A4, with my car before the cam, and I murdered his car badly from a roll. At the strip was a different story, as he could cut consistant 2.1 sec. 60' times, to my best on street tires of 2.2 Of course he lost after I put a cam in, had it tuned, and slapped on some BFG DR's. If you plan on running the car at the strip often, and A4 is your best bet, especially with a stall converter. I can shift better then most anybody I know, though not launch well, but you can't make up for a hole shot advantage. I've read of some guys running 3200 stall converters and pulling 1.7 sec. 60' times, so i'd say it's safe to say that they will have a hole shot advantage, unless you are an exceptional driver, which we know everyone is online, just not at the track

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Wrong, M6 is faster unless the driver has virtually no abilities. Standards power loss through the drivetrain is only 17 or 18% as opposed to an automatic which loses 23-24%. Bob you said it yourself you can't get off the line, shifting is easy and anyone can do it, the most important thing is learning to get off the line. When I first got my M6 I had to play catch up just like you say, but now I've had it for almost 5 years and without serious mods an auto can't dream of beating me off the line and they damn sure won't catch me.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    Wrong, M6 is faster unless the driver has virtually no abilities. Standards power loss through the drivetrain is only 17 or 18% as opposed to an automatic which loses 23-24%. Bob you said it yourself you can't get off the line, shifting is easy and anyone can do it, the most important thing is learning to get off the line. When I first got my M6 I had to play catch up just like you say, but now I've had it for almost 5 years and without serious mods an auto can't dream of beating me off the line and they damn sure won't catch me.
    Could've fooled me. Of course with gears you can get them outta the hole, but on stock gears. You're also talking to newbie as far as track times. I see countless dudes on the internet talk jibberish about how great they are driving wise, and how they can pull great times outta the hole. Funny cause when I challenge and beat them they all have the same thing in common ~excuses~

Shifting ain't easy. Not everyone can do the 2nd to 3rd gear shift perfectly.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Haha, I feel ya on the 2-3 I used to have so much trouble with that one. It took me a lot longer to get the 2-3 than it did to learn to get off the line. Most guys talk about how great they are in their 6-speed and I wanna laugh when I ride with em. The sad fact is that the average M6 driver is below what should be average before they can talk crap, yet they all think they're the best. My opinion is that if they can't pull off the 2-3 every time they don't deserve to claim any skill whatsoever.

1981 g-Body

That's exacty how it is.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    Interesting...That means I would only dyno (along with many other a4s') around 250-60rwhp. We all know ls1s typically dyno around 300 in stock form. The lowest Ive ever seen was 28x...highest ive seen was 33x.

While you're 100% correct auto's lose more power, hence why m6's tend to trap higher, but it doesnt mean us a4 guys dont make it.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

US auto guys, come on now I have a 99 A4 and a 97 M6, I love em both. I just try to tell it as far as the facts go and leave any allegiances at home. I don't know how a typical stock A4 runs personally, mine came with 3.23s, but I love it and it has nothing short of impressed me so far. According to the numbers, M6s should dyno less than they do too

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I was merely stating an auto doesn't lose 23-24% (In the case of ls1's/4l60e's). I even agreed with you when you said an auto will lose more power.

No worries, I'm not trying to start an argument. I simply posted that for the unfamiliar ls1 enthusiast. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was trying bash on you.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I didn't take it that way, you misinterpreted my reply as a misinterpretation of yours, lol

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Its too easy to confuse the tone of someone's voice on the net. Stupid internet.

I raced my buddies LS6 cammed 02 SS camaro, which was an A4, with my car before the cam, and I murdered his car badly from a roll.
    I'm assuming that you're buddy was not running a stall speed converter during that particular race. It would have been a completely different story, up to a certain mph, otherwise.

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

I am not a trained and certified expert transmission person but if my knowledge serves me right i believe the 4L60E usually looses about 16% and the T56 usually looses about 10-11%. That is why a lot of stock LS1's dyno between 280-290 A4 and between 290-300 M6, then some dyno over 300. It all depends on how your holding your tougue i guess.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal
    I'm assuming that you're buddy was not running a stall speed converter during that particular race. It would have been a completely different story, up to a certain mph, otherwise.
    You are correct. He, unfortunately, couldn't put in a stall converter, and was riddled with rearend problems (He went through 2 of them - actually more like 3 if you really think about it). He ended up trading his SS in for a 05 GTO. Stalled A4's are deadly. Even Emit Smith would have trouble keeping up with a 3200 stalled car. Of course that is just my opinion though.

sleeperstyle
    STOCK for stock im giving it to the m6. modified (properly) the auto will be faster - stalled with traction that is.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Yep yep, not too many people agree with us though. Hard to believe no one agrees considering it's true.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

My buddy has an ' 01 SS, nearly identical to mine, except for his A4 vs. my M6. Both cars have lids and cat-back exhausts, nothing more. Results at the track:

A4 got me by .1 at the 60 foot (2.1 vs. 2.2)
    M6 matched him by 660'

and at the end of the 1/4
    M6 had him by .2 (13.50 vs. 13.30) and 2 mph (105 vs. 107).

All supports the arguments:

1) an auto is (slightly) quicker from a dead stop
    2) a manual has less power lost (compare MPH)
    3) a well driven manual will (generaly) beat an auto in a drag race
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

White
    1998 Trans Am

i'm gonna have to settle this myself i guess this summer, there is a kid in town with a m6 ws6 w/ loudmouth exhaust and nothing else. i'm hoping to beat him this summer with a lid, headers, y-pipe, exhaust, and some drag radials, we'll have to see!

Thread Information