Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LS1 vs GT

Cool LS1 vs GT

It seems like the gap is slowly closing between the 98-02 ls1 cars and the newer mustangs. There is clearly no contest between an ls1 and a 5.0 or a 99-04 4.6. Most of the 05-09 GT's ive seen dyno 250-260rwh and run 13.4-13.7. Still not enough to beat our ls1's with an m6 dynoing 300-320 to the wheels. However in 2011 ford is planning to build a new 5.0L with "400 hp", so they say. If the weight stays the same will they finally be able to beat us ls1's? It would be about damn time lol.

liquid red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    It seems like the gap is slowly closing between the 98-02 ls1 cars and the newer mustangs. There is clearly no contest between an ls1 and a 5.0 or a 99-04 4.6. Most of the 05-09 GT's ive seen dyno 250-260rwh and run 13.4-13.7. Still not enough to beat our ls1's with an m6 dynoing 300-320 to the wheels. However in 2011 ford is planning to build a new 5.0L with "400 hp", so they say. If the weight stays the same will they finally be able to beat us ls1's? It would be about damn time lol.
    I just need a bigger shot!! LOL

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

If the mpg is not as good as the LS1. It's still a FAIL. But it will be progress Fords first 400hp car without FI.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by doozjamann View Post
    If the mpg is not as good as the LS1. It's still a FAIL. But it will be progress Fords first 400hp car without FI.
    yeah--- the 400 hp still remains to be seen. but if they do it they'll finally beat a 98 f body. on top of that it might even be a good race for the new camaro due to it's weight advantage. if the camaro doesnt beat a mustang i dont know what i'll do... the world will no longer make sense!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    yeah--- the 400 hp still remains to be seen. but if they do it they'll finally beat a 98 f body. on top of that it might even be a good race for the new camaro due to it's weight advantage. if the camaro doesnt beat a mustang i dont know what i'll do... the world will no longer make sense!
    the z28 lives!!

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

the z28 lives!!
    On life support for the moment.

silver
    2002 ws6

the z28 lives!!
    i hope you're right but i'm not holding my breath.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

The Z28 - as envisioned with the blown LSA motor - isn't going to happen. Fine with me, as the LS3 is a fabulous powerplant (nothing better than an LS# IMHO) with great N/A potential, that simply needs something that weighs less than 2 tons to pull around. I'd prefer to see GM do a Z28 as a lighter weight, N/A version of the current car. They won't - but that would be my choice.

The 2011 GT will likely be in the 370-390 HP range. *If* the weight can be kept down to about what it is now (3550-ish), then it will be a very good match for a 3900 lb 2010/2011 SS. And something rather curious...all the magazine tests have the 2010 GT outhandling the 2010 SS. Not my cup of tea, but how long has it been since THAT has happened? With an "old tech" live axle even.

For all those beating your chest about your 98 F-body beating GT's from whenever....good on ya. However, you might want to consider that Ford's goal (like GM's, curiously enough) with the Mustang (including the GT) is to sell cars. They build what they think will sell. Seems they have succeeded where others failed (see 2003-2009 model years).

And before you start....I'm a big fan of the LS1 (or any LS-series engine), had a 99 T/A, and am quite aware of its potential.

PS....that dyno chart you have doesn't run down the track. Know what I mean?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

this man speaks the truth ..touch his robe and you too may be healed

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Well they may not have a N/A that pulls that amount yet but they do have 2010 stangs already at 400Hp factory supercharged option. Basically if there not underated should be about 335-345 rwhp. LS1 with full bolt ons should be able to keep up if not pull slightly since its a bit lighter. The N/A version if they come out with it might be lighter but who knows, Ford to me is soooooo many years behind they just sell cars on appeal basically what appeals to mass amounts of people and they do a very good job at that. They did really well with the cobra, well i thougth they did till i test drove 3 of them trying to convince myself to buy one and just couldnt do it. I dont know what in the world they talk about as far as it being a good daily driver car, lol.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Well they may not have a N/A that pulls that amount yet but they do have 2010 stangs already at 400Hp factory supercharged option.
    What? Which factory option is this?

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by doozjamann View Post
    lol why, the ls1 makes 350hp not 400hp.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    The Z28 - as envisioned with the blown LSA motor - isn't going to happen. Fine with me, as the LS3 is a fabulous powerplant (nothing better than an LS# IMHO) with great N/A potential, that simply needs something that weighs less than 2 tons to pull around. I'd prefer to see GM do a Z28 as a lighter weight, N/A version of the current car. They won't - but that would be my choice.

The 2011 GT will likely be in the 370-390 HP range. *If* the weight can be kept down to about what it is now (3550-ish), then it will be a very good match for a 3900 lb 2010/2011 SS. And something rather curious...all the magazine tests have the 2010 GT outhandling the 2010 SS. Not my cup of tea, but how long has it been since THAT has happened? With an "old tech" live axle even.

For all those beating your chest about your 98 F-body beating GT's from whenever....good on ya. However, you might want to consider that Ford's goal (like GM's, curiously enough) with the Mustang (including the GT) is to sell cars. They build what they think will sell. Seems they have succeeded where others failed (see 2003-2009 model years).

And before you start....I'm a big fan of the LS1 (or any LS-series engine), had a 99 T/A, and am quite aware of its potential.

PS....that dyno chart you have doesn't run down the track. Know what I mean?
    I really wanna see the z28 come and bring back the 454 but in a ls series design. 560hp/510trq N/A

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I really wanna see the z28 come and bring back the 454 but in a ls series design. 560hp/510trq N/A
    it already can..the lsx block can be ran as a 454..but your talking about bring the 454 back in a production car i assume ?

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    it already can..the lsx block can be ran as a 454..but your talking about bring the 454 back in a production car i assume ?
    Yes. Sicne performance will be much more limited i nthe next couple years thanks to new restrictions they should go all out and bring back the legend that is the 454.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

They tested that factory option on the TV show TEST DRIVE. You would have to request that option at a dealer and it bumps power output to 400hp.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Please provide a reference that I can look at. www.fordvehicles.com (the official site for Ford Vehicles....ALL Ford factory vehicles) seems to be lacking any "option" for a blower. A dealer cannot "request" a blower be added to a Mustang from the factory.

The only factory blown Mustang is the GT500.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yes. Sicne performance will be much more limited i nthe next couple years thanks to new restrictions they should go all out and bring back the legend that is the 454.
    There is no business case for that. If there was, GM would do it.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../photo_22.html
    Thats a blower you can buy specifically from ford to install and also have them install it for you. Its a non intercooled supercharger, the 400hp FRRP pack gave the GT 335rwhp and 308RWTQ. There is a 500HP pack as well for manuals only and it comes with everything you need. Basically im just sumarizing it but if you have a ford dealer install it there will be a limited warranty as well, either way here is another link. Id also like to correct my response up top i thought they tested but they just mentioned it in the program.
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7635

Last edited by karpetcm; 06-29-2009 at 09:14 AM.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Ok. Ford has offered that package (or similar, or parts of) for many years for the Mustang - much like the hundreds of other parts that you can order from their catalog. http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/catalogs.asp

This would be little different than ordering a blower for your favorite GM through GM Performance Parts and having the dealer install it. http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Parts/catalog.jsp

However, it is not a Ford factory option - it is something a car owner buys and has installed by the local mechanic at the Ford dealer or any other shop, or installs himself.

Big difference.

Thread Information