Thread: Launchin

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

Launchin

Im looking to take my 02 z28 to the track for the first time soon. I've only messed around with a buddy of mine on the streets (98 cobra) and my rpms were WAY too high to start off with, i ended up spinning wheels for a long time.

on a stock z28 (only filter and slp lm), what is the best rpm to launch at?
    by the way, its a M6...

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Depends on a lot of things. What kind of tires you have, how good the suspension is, what type of surface you are launching on etc. In general if it is someplace that will be slick (almost anything asphalt) I use idle or near idle, maybe 2k if I am really feeling daring. Otherwise, someplace like the track or a good concrete road 2500-2750. there is alot of varience depending on how you are with the clutch as well.

Around 2500 rpm is a good place to start on stock tires. All you are trying to do is keep the engine from bogging. The real trick is learning how much throttle you can feed it after launching without spinning the tires. Launching at any rpm and just spinning your tires at WOT will kill your 60ft times.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i've heard that you should slip the clutch out from 2k rpms, 2.5k seems too high idk...

White
    2002 Ponitac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Depends on a lot of things. What kind of tires you have, how good the suspension is, what type of surface you are launching on etc. In general if it is someplace that will be slick (almost anything asphalt) I use idle or near idle, maybe 2k if I am really feeling daring. Otherwise, someplace like the track or a good concrete road 2500-2750. there is alot of varience depending on how you are with the clutch as well.
    Also how good your clutch is will also let you know.Nothing like burning up
    a clutch plate(been there done that).

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    i've heard that you should slip the clutch out from 2k rpms, 2.5k seems too high idk...
    2k or 2.5k the .5k difference doesn't really matter. When people say to slip the clutch they just mean let it out slow and smooth. With street tires what you are trying to do is get the car out of the hole as quick as possible without bogging the engine or excessive wheel spin. It takes practice. You want to let out the clutch easy and smooth and feed throttle the same way. You want to be careful with the clutch too if you are truly slipping it and having the rpms spike while you are letting it out you will burn it up.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^^^^^^^ i agree

Thread Information