Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

How do you keep your engine cool at the track

I was at the track last night and ran a good time in my case anyway of 13.33 after 4 runs I was running a 13.8 and lower mph so when it warms up it slows down

I shut itr down as soon as I got back should I leave it running it seems to cool down faster????

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Electric water pumps do a great job cooling the engine while your sitting in the staging lanes waiting.

Also, leaving your hood open helps some. You can leave it open the whole time in the waiting lanes and look under it while pulling up.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 05-12-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

A manual fan switch can help along with keeping your hood open. As HI-PO said also, electric water pumps work great too.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Imho, wiring both fans to run together from a toggle would help too..

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Or, failing all that (or until you get that stuff done)....run the engine only when absolutely necessary. To wit....

As soon as you get in line in staging, raise the hood. Push the car through the lanes as much as humanly possible. Don't start the car until you're the next car that is to get into the waterbox.

After your run, cut the car off as soon as possible, pop the hood, and let it sit for a while (half an hour or more is preferable). Don't idle. If you have to stop, kill the engine. If the staging lines are long and you want to go right back up to the lines, cut the engine off immediately upon arrival, pop the hood, and start the push routine again.

Been there, done this for years and years.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Before I had the electric pump, I installed the fan switch. Shut off the car, leave the fans on, when the air is luke warm out of the fans, start the motor for 10 seconds to recirculate the water & shut it back off. I did this three times to cool her right down !

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Before I had the electric pump, I installed the fan switch. Shut off the car, leave the fans on, when the air is luke warm out of the fans, start the motor for 10 seconds to recirculate the water & shut it back off. I did this three times to cool her right down !
    Fan switch here also. Just make sure to not run the battery down... And I do like above at the track.

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

One trick that I stumbled upon is when you get through making your run, go back to the pit, and turn on your heater full blast. Thats right, turn on your heater, then stand outside your car with the windowns rolled down. That engine temp will drop like a rock. I did this during the summer here in Houston in 100 deg temps and it works like a champ. Only takes 2-3 minutes to get the temp down to where you want it. I like to keep mine at 195 deg.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i have seen the "old school way" with a bigger pump bottle uses to kill weeds with ice in it. then he sprayed down the radiator. one of my dads friends used to do this. it worked but water all over the staging lanes.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Electric water pump. And used EFI Live to turn on the fans.

I could bring the temps down in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    i have seen the "old school way" with a bigger pump bottle uses to kill weeds with ice in it. then he sprayed down the radiator. one of my dads friends used to do this. it worked but water all over the staging lanes.
    I used to do this on our dedicated track car, all the while I was running the electric pump while spraying the radiator down. But it was gutted and easy to access, not many places for water to hide.

Wouldn't work that well on a 4th gen, for one, you can't access the radiator easily, and these cars have so many hiding spots for water to sit, I could forsee it dripping while rolling up, and being told to turn around for what is thought to be a leak.

Another one I have done is the old pack the ice in a large ziplock bag to set on the intake trick.
    Keep it in a zip lock bag though. As the ice melts you don't want water on top of the engine either, as it can also work it's way down to the ground, and be thought of as a leak if it's seen by one of the starters.

Getting the intake cool to the touch (cooler than the engine itself)
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-15-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Or, failing all that (or until you get that stuff done)....run the engine only when absolutely necessary. To wit....

As soon as you get in line in staging, raise the hood. Push the car through the lanes as much as humanly possible. Don't start the car until you're the next car that is to get into the waterbox.

After your run, cut the car off as soon as possible, pop the hood, and let it sit for a while (half an hour or more is preferable). Don't idle. If you have to stop, kill the engine. If the staging lines are long and you want to go right back up to the lines, cut the engine off immediately upon arrival, pop the hood, and start the push routine again.

Been there, done this for years and years.

Yep, this is the best way to keep it cool. Push it around and don't fire it until it's time to pull into the box.
    It's hell when you are by yourself and it's sweltering outside, (especially if you are running a spool) but it works.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Spools do not go around corners well....especially when pushing.

And I used to use the garden sprayer a lot, too (though not on my 99 T/A).

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Spools do not go around corners well....especially when pushing.

And I used to use the garden sprayer a lot, too (though not on my 99 T/A).
    Nope they don't. I assumed you would know what I meant when I said that.

I haven't used the spayer on the 4th gens either. Honestly I haven't used it in a long time on anything at the track. Haven't done much of any round racing that requires quick cool downs as the field narrows down.
    Just been fun track days and test and tune stuff for the last few years where I can sit as long as I want.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Thanks a lot Guys

Thanks for all the feedback last year I lost against a Mustang he ran a 13.74 and I ran a 13,82 The engine was hot. I ran a 13.33 this year so now he;s modding his we will see

Thread Information