Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

First time out, VERY LAME

Well, it was my first trip to the strip in my WS6 (and second only, ever).

I am in the right lane, my friend and his S10 are in the left.

I later discovered that my tires were at 37 psi in the rear (after highway driving, hot, I doubt they were under 38!)

It either wheel-hopped a tiny bit then bogged bad, or just bogged (I was babying it).

Things I learned:

I patterned the burn-out today and it was VERY dark on the inner 1" of the contact patch. Lowered to 33psi hot and it is now dark and even across the patch.

I need to VERY aggressively drop the clutch at 2K rpm and mat it.

I need to shift at yellow line into 2nd (hit rev limiter first pass, not this slip) b/c the tach is "slow" in 1st. And shift AT red every time after that.

My questions:

Does this car have low 13's in it if I can learn to actually drive it?

Will my trap speed go from 102.28 to 104+ if next time my dumb ass does NOT show up with 12 gallons of gas in the tank and I can cut a 2.1-2.15 60'? Or does 60' not do ANYTHING to trap speed. (This slip was run with a TINY squeek and then a bad bog off the line)

Is the 23+mph difference between my 1/8 and my 1/4 mile trap indicative of a strong car even though I suck at the launch, or is this number inconsequential?

Basically, does my car have the horsepower to run 104-105 traps like other 6-speed stock F_bods do, and I just totally suck and the mph will come up with a better 60' and my dumb ass not having 12+ gallons of gas in the tank, or is my car as weak as my launching skills?

Thanks, and don't laugh too hard at the noob.
    Last edited by stanger88; 05-10-2008 at 12:54 PM.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

yeah you definitly need to work on the 60'. if you can hit a 2.0-2.1 60 you will shave about a .5 off you 1/4 and you may pick up 1-2 mph. when you hit the 1st gear rev limit that also kills your mph so there may be another mph there. keep practicing and get that s10 next time, by the way whats in the truck? 350?

Oh and try to get rid of that wheel hop, it can damage you rear end, get some lower control arms and maybe a torque arm also to help stabilize those rear tires. on street tires i'd run about 28-30 psi at the strip
    2000 auto camaro
    13.54 @ 104 2.049 60' stock 2.73

12.94 @ 109 2.002 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 555r 2.73

11.899 @ 114.44 1.686 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 245/50-16 555r 3.73 moser 12-bolt 2800 fuddle, ls6 intake manifold, slp under drive pully,fiberglass hood, bmr k-member

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro View Post
    yeah you definitly need to work on the 60'. if you can hit a 2.0-2.1 60 you will shave about a .5 off you 1/4 and you may pick up 1-2 mph. when you hit the 1st gear rev limit that also kills your mph so there may be another mph there. keep practicing and get that s10 next time, by the way whats in the truck? 350?

Oh and try to get rid of that wheel hop, it can damage you rear end, get some lower control arms and maybe a torque arm also to help stabilize those rear tires. on street tires i'd run about 28-30 psi at the strip
    When I hit the first gear limiter I ran a 99mph with a 2.4+ 60' (first run).

I always bog the hell out of it and that is why my 60' sucks, not from spinning, but bogging. So you say if I had spun instead of bogged (or better yet, hooked and NOT bogged) I should run a 104+ next time with a 2.1 and no bogging? Also, these runs were with an almost full tank of gas. I was just concerned with the low mph and wondered if my car was weak, or if the bogging badly off the line is what is killing mph. If it is bogging, thats fine, it's a personal problem, not mechanical.

Yeah, wheel-hop is bad I know. Any way I can NOT have wheel hop without buying expensive stuff? I see stock LS1's running good times without hopping, could it have been my 37+ PSI in the rear tires causing it?

ETA: Truck is an S10 with a 355, AFR 195 eliminators, .53X lift cam (PTV is maxed out on his setup here) LT's, no cats, and a TCI 3500 stall with TCI TH350 backing it up. 3.73's out back, and the runs were on street-tires that are cheap and look like crap. With slicks he was running 12.7@107.5 on his old stall and trans. He should be LOW 12's now on a tire.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

remove your front sway bar and lower the rear pressure to 30psi. you can also remove the front bumper support. sway bar and front bumper support are about 35 lbs.

with your car having 102 mph bogging is fine, just practice your launch techniques. run about a 1/4 tank at the track.

what other mods to you have? an air lid will give you .1 and 1 mph. if you don't have it

my girlfriends stock 99 auto camaro with 3.23 gears went 13.54 @102.xx with a 2.08 60'

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

remove your front sway bar and lower the rear pressure to 30psi. you can also remove the front bumper support. sway bar and front bumper support are about 35 lbs.

with your car having 102 mph bogging is fine, just practice your launch techniques. run about a 1/4 tank at the track.

what other mods to you have? an air lid will give you .1 and 1 mph. if you don't have it

my girlfriends stock 99 auto camaro with 3.23 gears went 13.54 @102.xx with a 2.08 60'
    Cool, I am 103K miles BONE stock (down to the A/C Delco paper filter) 6-speed. I had an SLP lid but it was a POS so I threw it away. I am planning on getting a TSP rumbler catback as my "first" mod. I am used to my GT with headers, OR/X and dumped through flows. My WS6 sounds like a civic at idle. Way too tame.

So a 102.28mph trap with 3/4 tank of gas and a 2.365 60' on a bog, what do you think it would trap had a hamfisted noob not driven it and tanked up first? (I am more worried about trap speed as I rarely run anyone from a dig and the strip isnt a hobby for me, just a benchmark).

ETA: Everything on the car but the tranny and the engine has gone south at some point, so only the engine and tranny ACTUALLY have 103K on them, lol, but it shifts ok, if a bit notchy when cold, and I only use 1/2qt every 5K miles, which for an LS1, is awesome!

I am worried about dropping supports and sway bars. Like I said, that extra .5mph and .1 ET are not very important to me as the track is just a bench-mark, not the main thing. I just want to know my car is still strong and what it can really do.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

my buddy's bone stock 2000 formula m6 went 13.19 @ 106.xx with a 2.00 60' but his car was also a light weight option car, hardtop, manual seats, not much but prolly saved 30-40lbs

what was wrong with the slp lid? do you have a stock one on now? i would definitly get another as a first mod, do a web search on (free mods ls1) and do them, may get you another mph.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

my buddy's bone stock 2000 formula m6 went 13.19 @ 106.xx with a 2.00 60' but his car was also a light weight option car, hardtop, manual seats, not much but prolly saved 30-40lbs

what was wrong with the slp lid? do you have a stock one on now? i would definitly get another as a first mod, do a web search on (free mods ls1) and do them, may get you another mph.
    Like most SLP parts it was just a POS, very flimsy, wouldnt seal worth crap at the rear even with weatherstripping and all the ghetto fixes I threw at it. I just trashed it as I saw no point in keeping it on the car and put my stock lid back on.

Yeah, my 102 trap has me bummed out, I thought a stock 6-speed LS1 should pull 104 at LEAST. But you say the bogging to a 2.36 coulda been the culprit there?

sebring silver
    2000 z28

dig that lid out of the trash and mail it to me please.

the 60' was definitely the culprit. if ya think about it when you have a slow 60' that means your car was moving slower mph wise then another car that runs a 2.0 60' therefore you have started the 1/4 mile out slow and you now have less room to reach a higher mph. think of it as the 1/4 mile just got 60 ft shorter, thats less room to go faster, right.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

dig that lid out of the trash and mail it to me please.

the 60' was definitely the culprit. if ya think about it when you have a slow 60' that means your car was moving slower mph wise then another car that runs a 2.0 60' therefore you have started the 1/4 mile out slow and you now have less room to reach a higher mph. think of it as the 1/4 mile just got 60 ft shorter, thats less room to go faster, right.
    How bad do you think that 60' hurt me mph-wise?

If you really want the lid, I have that and a K&N panel filter for it (no adhesive gasket that the K&N comes with, just the panel filter by itself) that I will sell along with the lid. I do not have the little hose that comes with the lid though, let me go inventory EXACTLY what parts I have from that ill-fated fiasco and then we can talk price if you are actually interested. Maybe I can put the turnover from my K&N (with something like 200 miles on it total) and lid towards an MTI.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

I'd say if you hit a 2.00 60' and hit every gear quickly you will get a 105 maybe 106 mph.

when my buddy spun in his 2000 formula m6 2.2 -2.3 from his normal 2.0 he would usually loose 2-3 mph.

And yes i am interested in the lid and filter for my girlfriend's camaro. Pics would be nice just to see if the lid is scratched.... she is a neat freak....

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

I'd say if you hit a 2.00 60' and hit every gear quickly you will get a 105 maybe 106 mph.

when my buddy spun in his 2000 formula m6 2.2 -2.3 from his normal 2.0 he would usually loose 2-3 mph.

And yes i am interested in the lid and filter for my girlfriend's camaro. Pics would be nice just to see if the lid is scratched.... she is a neat freak....
    IIRC the lid is in good shape as far as scratches go. The tabs may have a bit, but the top of the lid that you see looks great. I have a camera phone and so results will be sketchy, but I will accurately describe it to you when I lay hands on it. It is at my Dad's house right now. Since your girl has a '99 camaro it won't matter that the little air-breather hose deal is missing, I will see if the plug is in that hole though. What do you feel is a fair price for the lid and K&N filter? New the lid was @$100 and the filter was @$50. The lid was put on once, and taken off once, the inside of where it goes over the TB shows obvious signes of it, it IS a tight fit on the TB. Outside though as I recall looks clean. The K&N has maybe a couple hundred miles on it, if any at all, I don't remember.

Some people tell me the new design (angled and not straight tabs) SLP lids fit great, just not on WS6's, but I am stating that right out of the box it did NOT seal satisfactorally for me at the back.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

Are you talking about the air pump hose? her car does have it, i just checked. I'll make something work. will you take $100 lid and filter?

If so i would still like photos when you get a chance.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Are you talking about the air pump hose? her car does have it, i just checked. I'll make something work. will you take $100 lid and filter?

If so i would still like photos when you get a chance.
    Yes, I was talking about the AIR pump hose, no, her car as a 99 shouldnt have one.
    PM sent.

Sorry mods, (Dunno how strict you are on this site) but this was rather impromptu, wasn't fishing for a sale here.

Back on topic now

sebring silver
    2000 z28

yeah so back to topic........what do you think my car will do with ls6 heads and a tr224/227 .563 .569 lift 114 cam?

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

yeah so back to topic........what do you think my car will do with ls6 heads and a tr224/227 .563 .569 lift 114 cam?
    From what I have seen 110-113mph traps and ET is all dependant on hooking.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    From what I have seen 110-113mph traps and ET is all dependant on hooking.
    well i do 114.44 now internally stock and i just got the head/cam swap done........omg the car pulls very hard past 5,500 on up. I THINK i willmanage 11.49 @117

I'll post results next track day

sebring silver
    2000 z28

sig

Thread Information