red
    2000 WS6

First time in awhile.

Taking my car to the track this Friday. Haven't been there in over two years. Last time out ran 14.00 at 104. I've bought new tires since then and am hoping that will make some difference. Wish me luck, I'll share my times on Saturday.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I'm guessing you'll run high 13's. Let us know how it goes.
    2001 T/A WS6 M6
    LS6 Cam/Springs, Lid, SLP Pulley, Magnaflow Catback, TBCB, Richmond 4.10 gearing, Panhard Rod, Strut Tower Brace, Low Control Arms, Lou Thesz Short Stick
    Dyno 351rwhp/341rwtq, and tuned by RacePrep via HP Tuners.

red
    2000 WS6

I got two passes in at the track last night. First pass was 13.7 at 104.1. I didn't get the RPMs up before the tree came down and left pretty much off idle. Spun a little and backed out of it, then got right back in it. Still had a 2.2 60'. Second run I tried to launch at 2400 RPM and it bogged but didn't spin when I rolled into it. 60' was 2.37 and ran a 13.9 at 104.3. First time at the track that I didn't misss a gear on at least one pass.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

The 2nd to 3rd gear is what most people miss. It's actually made dummy proof by GM if you know what style of shifting to do. I'm assuming that that is what you typically miss. If so this is the method to use:

Grab shifter handle as if you would a baseball (Fingers pointed towards dash). When doing the 2nd to 3rd gear shift instead of moving the gear into 3rd, just push it with the back of your hand.

I use this method all the time, and don't have any problems grinding or missing 3rd gear. BTW I ran the same time as you did when my car was close to stock (13.7 at 104mph, and the same 2.2 sec. 60').

red
    2000 WS6

Did you have to shift into 4th before hitting the traps? I still have the stock gear ratio 3.42 in mine and I was shifting into 4th maybe 200ft. from finish. I didn't let it go that far but it seemed that I would hit the factory limiter if I didn't. Shifting around 5600. Short of actually hitting it to find out do you know what rpm it is at? Thanks.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jb'sWS6 View Post
    Did you have to shift into 4th before hitting the traps? I still have the stock gear ratio 3.42 in mine and I was shifting into 4th maybe 200ft. from finish. I didn't let it go that far but it seemed that I would hit the factory limiter if I didn't. Shifting around 5600. Short of actually hitting it to find out do you know what rpm it is at? Thanks.
    Absolutely not. Do not shift into 4th gear. Just hit the rev limiter in 3rd. You should trap around 105-106 mph. The shift to 4th will cost you precious time in the 1/4 mile. Besides hitting the limiter isn't that bad, as GM has more or less made it so that it is relatively low (6200 rpms if I recall correctly). The tachometer is actually 200rpms off, so you have to shift around 6K rpms. It's retarded that they did that.

Get a cam, some gears, and a tune (raise the rev limiter), and you will do alot better 1/4 mile wise. Before the gears I ran my car at the track and ran a 13.1 sec. 1/4 mile at 109mph (While still in 3rd gear, as my rev limiter is raised to 6600 rpms). Since the gears it seems as though my car is dummy proof with the drag radials. It's almost like an AWD car. I can cut 2.1 sec. 60' on street tires. I have yet to get 1/4 mile times though.

red
    2000 WS6

Thanks for the info. I am hoping to make it to the track at least one more time this year so I'll try leaving it in third. Hopefully I can get in more than two passes. I went during our track's "midnite drags" and it was crazy busy.

I hit a 13.5 in my vette at 107.7mph .. my 60's sucked ass plus i need new tires got the stock ones on there. i should be able to get it into the low 13's

Thread Information