Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 Corvette

Dragstrip Question

This is my first rwd v8, and i dont really know the best way to launch it. IT seems to me that it is quicker with the traction control on, because it doesnt spin. But a lot of people say that it slows your car down? What should i do?

Mystic Teal
    98' Formula

Until you learn how to launch, at first the TC may help you a bit , but has to limit some power to do so. For the long term you need to leave it off and learn the exact ammount of throttle to apply and not go up in smoke. You'll have fun trying .

Black
    1999 Corvette

ok thanks, i tryed to stage it up once with the TC off and anything over 1k smokes the tires

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

A set of drag radials and you're in business.......6 speed or auto??

Black
    1999 Corvette

its an auto.

Black
    04 Z06

If you dont want to spend $$$$, then just lock it up with the brakes at about 1200 rpm (more and it will roll through the light), leave the TC off and roll the throttle on, also leave it in 3rd. If you roll the throttle too slowly it will shift on ya, so practice practice practice, I got my wifes 98 Vette down to 13.2 at 106 using this technique.

Black
    1999 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by edward.brennan
    If you dont want to spend $$$$, then just lock it up with the brakes at about 1200 rpm (more and it will roll through the light), leave the TC off and roll the throttle on, also leave it in 3rd. If you roll the throttle too slowly it will shift on ya, so practice practice practice, I got my wifes 98 Vette down to 13.2 at 106 using this technique.
    so you are saying to not put it in drive and put it in third? And stage it up and leave the line at 1200rpms?

Black
    04 Z06

Around 1200 rpm, much higher and the torque converter will set in and you will roll forward. Dont mash the throttle, just roll into it. But the key to launching is practice. But it is fun no matter what!!!

Black
    1999 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by edward.brennan
    Around 1200 rpm, much higher and the torque converter will set in and you will roll forward. Dont mash the throttle, just roll into it. But the key to launching is practice. But it is fun no matter what!!!
    ok thanks, i just dont get how leavind the lights in 3rd helps?

Black
    04 Z06

You can leave it in drive, it shouldnt shift past third in the quarter anyway, either third or drive is fine, once you lock up the brakes at the start line it will drop to first. Just dont waste the effort of shifting yourself. Still, its all about the fun. You will be surprised the other Vettes you can blow off the track with a C5, I ate a 67 Vette with a 427 in it by over a second in the quarter at Beech Bend in Bowling Green KY!!!

Black
    1999 Corvette

Well there isnt any 1/4 mile tracks around here just 1/8 mile. What do you think i can run in the 1/8 mile? All i have is a Borla catback and 120k LOL.

Black
    04 Z06

Not sure, I cant find my drag slips, but I think between 8 and 9 seconds at around 80 mph, but I could be way off. In the 8th you could leave it in second, at red line you should run about 98 mph, so you dont have to worry about losing time in the shift to third. The overall length of the track is not nearly as important as the launch. That is where time is lost or gained, for the rest of it is just aiming and keeping your right foot planted in the throttle.

Black
    1998 Trans am

You might want to check out leaving in 2nd. Some 4l60e transmissions actually take off in 2nd, it was an effort to reduce wheel spin in low tractions situations like snow. (sucks). Check it out and see if your corvette does. I have a 94 Z28 and a 98 Trans Am and I take off in 3rd in both. You should be able to roll the throttle on pretty quickly. I've never driven one of the newer vettes but I've had several 2nd and 3rd gen vettes with IRS and they hooked like mad. I dont know why the newer ones wouldnt also. Like everyone says, have fun while you are learning and in no time you will be mowing down the tree.

Black
    1999 Corvette

yeah my vette hooks really good! i dont have traction proplems. I guess i will try leaving the line at 1200rpms in 2nd gear?

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Hello, this is my first time here. I finally went to the drag strip and can only get a 14.2. (first time at drag strip). I have a t56, and am trying to figure out the best way to run it. I can get a 2.3 60 foot, and 100 mph. All stock. Car weighs 3735. Do you think it can do better than 14.2? Do you guys (with the six speed) take it to 5900 rpms like i do or shift at diffrent points?
    thanks

Black
    1999 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by chadwick
    Hello, this is my first time here. I finally went to the drag strip and can only get a 14.2. (first time at drag strip). I have a t56, and am trying to figure out the best way to run it. I can get a 2.3 60 foot, and 100 mph. All stock. Car weighs 3735. Do you think it can do better than 14.2? Do you guys (with the six speed) take it to 5900 rpms like i do or shift at diffrent points?
    thanks
    your car should break in the 13's

lee1rbc
    Chadwick, how high was You elevation?

99vette, have You had Your car too the strip? With an A4 car You can heat your tires in staging and Your car should launch fine. On the street I have to roll off the line but at the track I heat them up for about 5sec(power break, at 5k) then when its time to go dont mash, but place it on the floor. I take about 1/2 a second to get the pedal to the floor.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Well I just went to the track today, in my 2000 A4 WS6 with 103k on the odometer...

My fastest(and first) run was 14.0754@99.47mph and this was with TCS on...

my second run was with TCS off... and I just decided to mash the pedal all the way... seeing how I literally just rolled off the Tire lot this morning, my Khumos had about 60 miles on them... I figured I'd have some good traction...

well that didn't work at all... I smoked them for about 100 feet until I let of the throttle a bit... I probably could have smoked them to the finish line, if I didn't crash before then.. and I ended up with a 16.68@95.50

each time I would try and launch at like 2000rpm, but every time I would get over like 1500, it seems that the car would roll.... I think I need a higher-stall torque convertor...

wonder what I can accomplish with this old motor?

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

im 24" above sea level

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

anyone have the six speed. If so, do you shift at 5800-5900 rpm's, or do you shift at diffrent points? I was told that i should shift at diffrent points because the torque would be better and that i would lose horsepower going to high of rpms. What do you guys think?

Thread Information