Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    1999 T/A

civic beating a trans am??

My buddy has a civic he claims is stock. Hes one of the people that kinda throws money left and right so he wants to race for 100$ in order to make things interesting. he says I can even look under the hood. The car is a 1.6 liter and mabie from around 2004. Its a show car so it looks like its straight out of need for speed but with no performance mods (supposedly). Now, assuming there is no nitrous, what would it take for a civic like that to beat a M6 1999 trans am which is prety much stock. I dont want to loose a bill

It would take at the very least a complete rebuild with cams, head work, etc... to make a normally aspirated honda motor keep up with you. Even if he has a turbo or supercharger you might still beat him. I have yet to lose to a civic regardless of mods even when my car was stock. If you can drive you will take a bill from him. If he is just giving money away I'll take some too. I'll even spot him a couple of lengths.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

lol just take his money! Youd still whip his ass even if he was slightly "modded"

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

And even if he has N02 you would still take him its a honda it takes a shit load to get them to keep up with a stock LS1 race him dont even look under the hood just race him !

blue
    1998 trans am ws6

dude all last summer I was racing civics on woodward. and none of them are fast even the ones with full exhaust turbos and an engine rebuild. there slow as fuck go make a bill
    Built A4 with B&M Transpak shift kit, Hooker Lt's, 0RY, 4in cutout, Debaffled, K&N, SLP Lid, Bellows, p+p+descreened MAF,TB bypass, 180 degree Theromostat, AC removed, RP Trans fluid, oil, MSD 8.5 wires, Autolite Xtreme perf plugs, Nitto DR

Coming soon SFC, 373 gears, 96mm intake/96mm TB, Tune

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

A completely built 1.6 would be a good race for you, now when i say completley built im talking, 10,000 invested into the motor, if you dont see a turbo you ahve nothing to worry about, even if you do see a turbo it would have to be a good setup not just some 6psi kit for a 1.6liter.

1999 T/A

well this upcomming thursday the race is on. A whole bunch of auto tech people from my college are gonna race. s2000's, another civic, a gti, and a cobra( gonna stay away from him). Hopefuly ill make some pocket cash. There will be a camera so the footage ull see will hopefully be of a trans am winning. since all the cars are prety much stock.

pewter
    02' Z28

Dont stay away from the cobra! If there's no money involved, try it anyways you'd be suprised of the outcome. it should be a good race, if he's stock.
    Last edited by maxpit; 11-30-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

If hes stock and you are a good ass driver it would be a good race, i am a good race for stock cobras

A good driver in a stock 03/04 cobra will smoke a good driver in a stock ls1. I'd race him for no money but to say it would be a good race is a stretch. Unless he is one of those posers that can't drive then maybe you have something for him.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Most good drivers run mid to high 12s in a cobra, alot of people cant get out of the 13s. with 3 bolt ons i ran mid to high 12s. So cobras in stock for arent to out of our league. The extra weigh and the IRS making them harder to launch evens it out a bit.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    A good driver in a stock 03/04 cobra will smoke a good driver in a stock ls1. I'd race him for no money but to say it would be a good race is a stretch. Unless he is one of those posers that can't drive then maybe you have something for him.
    He said that HE is a good race for a stock cobra, then again i dont think 2000T/A Guru is stock. We all know a stock ls1 is not match for a cobra.

if ur not gonna race the cobra who will?:P you 2 have the fastest cars!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

This is true in most cases it also depends on the driver, hell i have seen quite a few bad drivers only get to mid 13s with cobras. But yes if you are stock and the cobra can drive you will loose. Unless you run 12.8s wit ha stock ls1 which has been done

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Pull up to the line in reverse and spin your "front" tires.
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I disagree. Stock for stock, they have a very close hp to weight ratio. Plus cobras are harder to launch (so I hear). I hope to NOT start another insane debate on this topic, but if he's got a pulley and bolt ons don't race for money!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Well with good drivers, most f-bodys are low to mid 13 second cars, most dont touch 12s stock. And a cobra with a good driver is a 12.7-13.0 car. Now if the cobra driver makes the slightest mistake its a even race. If its a stock cobra against a bolt on f-body then its a real close race, i run 12.7s-12.9s with exhaust and a lid. A bolt on cobra however can be a 11.8-12.0 car with a good driver.

White
    2001 WS6

You'de be surprised how fast these hondas can get. Couple months ago
    I came across a primered early 90's accord with a raspy ass exhaust note and some drag holes in the rear bumper. He was making a scene revving up on me and on my ass like wtf. We take off in first gear, when i heard him gun it i stepped on it. I couldnt pull on him much harder, I only had about half a car on that honda. It was pretty quick, wonder what he had though..hmm

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Yes some can be quick, you have to factor in front wheel drive, its impossible to launch with it once they actually start making power. The motor would need alot of work to keep up with a ls1 without using forced induction. And if it is turboed you will be able to tell when you look under the hood.

Black
    2001 Trans AM WS6 M6

I've only seen one RIDICOLOUSY modded honda around here that could hang with vipers, but he had dumped about $50K into the the engine.

Like the guys have said, if you pop the hood, and see no turbo or supercharger, even if there's NOS, enjoy your $100.00.

P.s. if he's a 'show car' then he'll have some bulky stereo weighing his heavy ass down.

Thread Information