pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question Is the Charger RT faster than our ls1 cars?

I noticed that the Dodge charger have 340 hp in the RT model. Where do we stand if it comes to a race between the two? Have anyone raced one of these cars yet and how close was it? if you have. I know that there is a even higher hp model but I was asking about the ones I see every day.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 08-07-2008 at 04:05 AM.

Red
    1998 T/A

The R/T's I've dealt with are a bit slower than our cars. There is a girl that I work with who has the SRT-8 and it is a drivers race with mine. Hers is completely stock and my T/A has a LM1 and a lid.

My daily driver is a 3.5L "High Output" (lol) Charger AWD. It's a nice car, but the Titan I traded for it would hand it its ass pretty readily.

White
    2002 WS6

Just came from an 07 RT. I was on their boards alot and for the most part the RT folks would admit that the LS1 woul take the R/T. The SRT guys would say they beat the LS1 but I think a stock SRT and a sligthly bolted LS1 would be a drivers race. I honestly did love the R/T for the purpose I needed it for however with 4 doors it is no sports car.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I noticed that the Dodge charger have 340 hp in the RT model. Where do we stand if it comes to a race between the two? Have anyone raced one of these cars yet and how close was it? if you have. I know that there is a even higher hp model but I was asking about the ones I see every day.
    To answer your question simply... no, the Charger RT is a 14+ second quarter mile car. My SS trailblazer was faster. I ran a few RT chargers and it is no contest. The SRT model is quick, but the LS1 was ultimately faster. But as PGH said, it's a drivers race.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

white
    2000 Z28

r/t without lots of money and work is not a big comparison. 4100 lbs vs 3400 lbs and 340 hp vs 305 hp... 35 rated hp does not make up for 700 lbs. i'm getting these numbers from ratings and real numbers will definitely vary.
    2000 white z28, t-tops, free mods, intake, full exhaust, dyno tune, repro c5 z06 wheels, and some elbow grease here and there.

Black
    99 Formula

yeah R/T run 14.3 and up. No contest. SRTs can be a problem They are real consistant off the line too.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Charger = heavy and over rated
    lsx = little bit lighter and underrated
    I would deff vote for our cars even on 7 cylinders.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

black
    02 trans am ws6

I have an 02 WS6 A4 with headers, x-pipe and SLP loudmouth. The other night I raced aan SRT-8 and waxed his ass in the 1/8th like he was standing still. No competition!!!

99 Hugger Z28, 03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by PGH_WS6 View Post
    4 doors it is no sports car.
    I do have a soft spot for mopars and I love the look of the chargers, especially the front end. I cannot stand that its a four door! I stopped at the local dodge dealership this spring to get a recall done on my truck and I asked the salesman about that. He said that there will be no 2 door option because of the challenger. I also like the challenger, its the best looking new "retro" car IMO. But $40k for the srt hemi model is wayyy to rich for my blood.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingFastFlyingLow View Post
    I do have a soft spot for mopars and I love the look of the chargers, especially the front end. I cannot stand that its a four door! I stopped at the local dodge dealership this spring to get a recall done on my truck and I asked the salesman about that. He said that there will be no 2 door option because of the challenger. I also like the challenger, its the best looking new "retro" car IMO. But $40k for the srt hemi model is wayyy to rich for my blood.
    well they are way over 60K here in Denver with the "market demand" mark up on them right now. I absolutely love the new srt-8 Challenger but for that kind of dough give me a New ZO6.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I beat a srt8 top end by a couple cars.............let off @132

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

i had a 1/4 drag race against a charger r/t... he took me off the line pretty easily (i was trying not to wax my 160k stock 10 bolt) but I reeled him right in and had him by an easy 5-10 cars at the end of the 1/4. I ran a 13.2 to his mid-14, I was also stock other than like a lid and a cutout at the time too.

10's N/A

I was dissapointed the first time I saw an R/T perform on the road. I was riding shotgun in my cousins 6-speed LT1 T/A that was pretty much stock and it was an easy kill for him. They do look bad ass on 22's though!

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

ive had a chance to drive them all and if your talking all stock it would go like this from slowes to the fastes. r/t, ls1, srt-8. but with just a few bolt ons on the ls1 and its a drivers race with the srt-8. the bigst draw back the dodge stuff has is you cant get one with a stick. and thare way over priced imo.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yea, I raced an RT when the only mod I had was the SLP CAI. I didn't think I would walk on him like I did. He jumped me by a hood off the line, then I hit second and started pulling hard and I was gone from there. By the top of 3rd, I was several car lengths in front of him

Yellow
    2002 CETA

My other car is a Magnum R/T AWD. It's rated at 340 hp and I added the K&N cold air induction to it. With the traction control turned off I was running 9.1's at the local 1/8th mile track with no wheel spin at all. My CETA with just an air lid and electric cutout was running 8.4's. My buddy has an SRT8 Magnum with Mopar CAI, full exhaust, and a predator tuner and was sure he had the CETA covered. So I added a 3000 stall converter the week before we went to MIR for the quarter mile and ran a 12.8 to his 13.6, we both went about 106 but I killed him off the line. He weighed it at the track, 4620 lbs!!!

Thread Information