Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    09 G8 GT

Question Auto Insurance and the Track..

I've never been to the track to race....had a 5spd maxima (shut it) hahah with some stuff done, wanted to go but didnt; got an ion redline, bought a stage 2 kit didnt put it on ended up trading the car for an 04 M6 gto. I want to go to the track....local every wednesday has $20 test and tune night for street legal cars....it's my DD. Does anyone know if something happens while I'm at the track, if my collision policy will cover it? I know I could just call my ins co but I'd rather not start with that for obvious reasons....has anybody had an accident at the track, or any story to share about it?

I haven't seen or read about any insurance company that covers cars at the dragstrip as of yet.
    Especially the classic car insurance I use on a few cars. They are up front about racing, basically I'm on my own at the track, so being extra carefull is necessary. They don't even want to hear about having been to the track with the car.

What I wonder about is vintage SCCA racing. There are $200,000 cars (or more) out there ripping it up. Sometimes they do accidently bang into each other, or spin of the track and sustain damage.
    I would find it hard to believe these guys are taking these rare and valuable (some with vintage history) cars out on the track without some kind of coverage to protect their investment.

White
    2002 Z28

Your insurance isn't going to cover you at the track.

What you do is tow the car to an area out away from where people are at. Dump the car and maybe roll it too. Then you just say that a dog or something ran out in front of you and you lost control. I've never done that but know a couple people that have.

White
    09 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    Your insurance isn't going to cover you at the track.

What you do is tow the car to an area out away from where people are at. Dump the car and maybe roll it too. Then you just say that a dog or something ran out in front of you and you lost control. I've never done that but know a couple people that have.
    wow....id hate to do that but knowing that something happened and it wasnt covered is just such a sh!tty feeling....this def makes me more worried about going to the track. I mean I dont EXPECT anything to happen (but who does?) but partially cause its my DD, partially cause I still owe a LOT of money (bout 16,800) and partially cause I dont have the savings account to put $8000 in repairs say something DOES happen and I'm fully responsible cause I was @ the track. ugh..hmm

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

A few years ago, I asked my Allstate agent if my car was covered in case of that exact issue.
    I was told it would be, as long as everything was legal for it to be running. Passed tech type stuff.
    Was it true?? Never had the chance to test it.

I don't even bother asking. I pretty much assume if something happens, I am SOL.
    And I am with Farmer's now.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1fan74 View Post
    wow....id hate to do that but knowing that something happened and it wasnt covered is just such a sh!tty feeling....this def makes me more worried about going to the track. I mean I dont EXPECT anything to happen (but who does?) but partially cause its my DD, partially cause I still owe a LOT of money (bout 16,800) and partially cause I dont have the savings account to put $8000 in repairs say something DOES happen and I'm fully responsible cause I was @ the track. ugh..hmm
    Ya it's a sick feeling. Whats even worse is seeing some of the drivers in the pits hanging out and drinking beer as if this were a party. You get alot of idiots at the tracks, some don't know how to drive. Then you have to worry about the guy in the next lane when they break something shoot accross the yellow line towards you.
    Like Luos said, you pretty much have to assume if something happens you are SOL. I usually pit away from the crowds, never leave my stuff unattended, and keep my distance in the staging lanes,,,then just cross your fingers

White
    09 G8 GT

yea I think I'm gonna wait to go race even though I really wanna go.....at least til I get more of a savings cushion....

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Insurance is supposed to stop at the gate of the track, so Ive been told everytime I have went.

If allstate does cover it, then my current provider is goooone.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya it's a sick feeling. Whats even worse is seeing some of the drivers in the pits hanging out and drinking beer as if this were a party. You get alot of idiots at the tracks, some don't know how to drive. Then you have to worry about the guy in the next lane when they break something shoot accross the yellow line towards you.
    Like Luos said, you pretty much have to assume if something happens you are SOL. I usually pit away from the crowds, never leave my stuff unattended, and keep my distance in the staging lanes,,,then just cross your fingers

you must be referencing edgewater

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    you must be referencing edgewater
    Man that's funny. Guess I'm not the only one that knew that crap was going on
    I almost felt sorry for Dick Weinle, with all the accidents they were having the insurance company was killing him, and there was talk for a while of switching to 1/8 mile for insurance reasons. Then there was talk of selling etc... Either of which would be a shame, I actually like Mr. Weinle,,,his wife is another story though
    There were some real losers over there ruining it for everyone.

Black
    99 SS

oh yea and it still does to the best of my knowledge

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

If i crashed i would have it towed a mile or two away and have them drop it in the ditch and say it crashed there. plus i have gap coverage from the bank

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    If i crashed i would have it towed a mile or two away and have them drop it in the ditch and say it crashed there. plus i have gap coverage from the bank
    Insurance fraud will get you jail time…… it’s taken seriously.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Insurance fraud will get you jail time…… it’s taken seriously.
    Joking will get you people that think your serious........ It wasnt meant to be taken seriously.

White
    09 G8 GT

yeaaa I'm gonna wait. Crap tonight is test and tune night @ the valley...maybe 1 run wont hurt?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

yeaaa I'm gonna wait. Crap tonight is test and tune night @ the valley...maybe 1 run wont hurt?
    Famous last words.........

That's usually when something happens

White
    09 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    Famous last words.........
    lol i know....i've never gone.... its pretty fun isnt it?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

lol i know....i've never gone.... its pretty fun isnt it?
    I think its a blast. esp cuz you dont have to look over your shoulder for cops and you can burn as much rubber as you want

White
    09 G8 GT

it rained yesterday anyway. but I still may go sometime this summer I just dont wanna F it up by accidentally doing something stupid in front of all the "pros"

Thread Information