Thread: 275 Class

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

275 Class

I want to run in the 275 class bracket racing at capitol raceway. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get the most consistant time. I already have an auto so I know my times wont be to far off but I would like to run a bit faster as well since I don't want to be the slowest car out there

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

http://www.brenspeed.com/mickeypack275.html
    as far as tires go this is what I just ordered

I've played around with the 275 class but depending on who is sanctioning it the rules are different.
    Depends on the rules before deterimining what direction to take the car.

The only 275 tire class I'm familiar with is NMCA and those guys are running 7's at over 160 mph, again depending on rules.

One thing I know for sure to get you started. Those 275/60-15 Mickeys are the same tires I run, and the same thing you'll find everyone else running in that class, it is the tire of choice. So you are on the right track.
    That tire is also 28 inches tall, they'll fit the 4th gen no problem, but you'll have to step up the rear gear to compensate, depending on the power you are making, a 4.10 is a start.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

So if I have the stock 3.23 rear gear that wont work very well? I was waiting to break the 10 bolt before I go on getting new gears.

black trans am

if its like 75 and 80 the 275 class is an open heads up...

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I hope it's not like that I will get destroyed
    2002 Camaro SS Black Betty
    Suspension:
    Poly Trans mount, Solid Motor mount, Strut tower Brace
    Performance:
    SLP intake, Smooth Bellow, A.I.R Delete, M/T's on Salad Shooters
    Apperance:
    Re-Badged, Ultragauge, Whistler Mod, Racing Seats, Auto Hurst Shift Handle

You'll have to check and see exactly what the rules are and how they structure it.
    In a nut shell,,,yes it's heads up. But, within some of those classes they generally have an index.
    For instance, 8 sec, 9 sec, 10 sec, 11 sec, 12 sec, 13 sec.

So you qualify and see which class you'll be put in. The idea is to run as close to that index as possible since it's heads up racing.
    So if you have a car that runs 12.80's, you are better off slowing the car down with a throttle stop and run 13.0's without going under.

With this in mind, you don't necessarily have to have a fast car, just a consistent car that runs at the very bottom of your particular index. From there it's up to the driver as to how good you are at the tree and on down the track, it's all heads up from there.

As far as your gear goes, 3.23's are a nice street gear and work fine with the weenie 26" tires on the car. But in a class that dictates a 275, which is 28" tall, you'll need more gear for the car to run at it's potential.
    It's not necessary, but the car will be lucky to shift to 3rd gear before the finish line. So it's not going to run as well as it can.
    Doesn't really matter as long as you run at the bottom of the index you are closest to.

Now if the rules don't have any index for the class you want to run, then you are playing with the big dawgs that run dedicated $100,000 cars solely for that purpose. You aren't going to roll in off the street and be competetive. Like I said, those guys are running 7's at over 160 mph.

You might be better off seeing what other classes are offered. In NMCA I was planning to run in a 275 street tire class that allows one power adder. I had everything to throw a 250 shot on my car (454 chevelle). But the problem I had was the car was too heavy (4,108 lbs. with driver) and the weight break for a BBC with one power adder is 2900 lbs. I wasn't even close and I wasn't about to gut the car.
    So my efforts steared towards NMC (Nostalgia Muscle Car) for 79 and older cars where weight didn't matter, again they had an index, but still heads up. Takes less money to compete.

In other words, dig around and find a class that better suits your car if necessary. They also have LS specific classes where only LS engine platforms are allowed. You might find it cheaper to start with and get your feet wet that way. You'll have a ton of fun doing it.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Man thank you that helps a lot, I'm thinking about doing the street class now. I looked at the classes an that looks to be some good strait up bracket racing. I wish I didn't order those tires now. But they will hook well and look cool, and hopefully give me a reason to swap rears haha

For a street car that sees some strip action, those tires you ordered are perfect. That's the combination I prefer to run on everything.
    You really don't want to give up any height on your rear tire that would give you more of a disadvantage. The taller sidewall along with more rollout (contact patch) will give you better traction consistently.

The shorter tires on these cars don't really make a good tire for drag racing, even the sticky tires that are offered in stock sizes. Much better off with a 15 inch wheel and a 28" tire.

Stick em' on anyway and go bracket racing. You'll be hooked (pun intended)

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Thank you very much, I can't wait for the first race

Thread Information