Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

gold
    2000 honder accord

1997 RS vs. 1986 Iroc-Z

This kid thinks he will get me on the highway. I told him there is no way. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by andrew rs; 05-16-2007 at 11:20 AM.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew rs View Post
    This kid thinks he will get me on the highway. I told him there is no way. What do you guys think?
    350 or 305?? and is he modded and are you modded??
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

gold
    2000 honder accord

He isnt modded, I have a K&N filter if that counts as a mod (I dont call it one). Oh and he has a 305 Tee Pee Eye.

An 86 would be the 305. 350's weren't available until the 87 model year.

If I am not mistaken your 97 RS would be a V-6 car correct?

I am not very familiar with V-6's because I am a V-8 kinda guy, but if the 305 TPI is optioned decent (depending on gears and transmission) they can be decent runners.

I had an all original 88 Iroc 350 TPI that I just recently sold, auto with only 2.77 gears, with just a cat back exhaust and a pair of shorty headers it was running 13.90's at 99 mph and was blowing the doors off my 97 Z28 6 speed and 3.42's granted mine was a 350 TPI though,,,but some of the old TPI cars can't be taken too lightly, mine ran exceptionally well,,,,, especially as old as they are now, chances are good they have had motor swaps and who knows what else.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

it will be close

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I think you can take him, I have on my V6

Quote Originally Posted by andrew rs View Post
    He isnt modded, I have a K&N filter if that counts as a mod (I dont call it one). Oh and he has a 305 Tee Pee Eye.
    yeah u got em....
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    An 86 would be the 305. 350's weren't available until the 87 model year.

If I am not mistaken your 97 RS would be a V-6 car correct?

I am not very familiar with V-6's because I am a V-8 kinda guy, but if the 305 TPI is optioned decent (depending on gears and transmission) they can be decent runners.

I had an all original 88 Iroc 350 TPI that I just recently sold, auto with only 2.77 gears, with just a cat back exhaust and a pair of shorty headers it was running 13.90's at 99 mph and was blowing the doors off my 97 Z28 6 speed and 3.42's granted mine was a 350 TPI though,,,but some of the old TPI cars can't be taken too lightly, mine ran exceptionally well,,,,, especially as old as they are now, chances are good they have had motor swaps and who knows what else.
    yeah your l98 blew the doors off your 97 6spd lt1 z28?? lol...god theres some morons on here...

gold
    2000 honder accord

Now I just have to get him to shut up and actually run em. He talks and talks but wont run them.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

urnot talkin about 86 iroc on this site are u?

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    yeah u got em....

yeah your l98 blew the doors off your 97 6spd lt1 z28?? lol...god theres some morons on here...
    Dude you have no idea. I own both cars. I have had them both to the track and know what I have. The LT1 6speed is a stocker that runs 14.20's at 98 mph which is right on the money for a stocker, nothing wrong with that. But my L98 Iroc runs consistently in the 13.90's at 99 mph with less gear and an auto. They are stout pieces not to be taken lightly. On the street with my wife driving the Iroc (since it's the auto in this case) from 50 mph the Iroc consistently puts about 2 cars on the 97 Z28 everytime. Just the way it is man, not knocking the LT1's, hell I even own an LS1,,,,and I still like my LT1,,,,but a fact is a fact, and in my case our LT1 is the slowest of the 4 Fbodies we own. Keep in mind it's a bone stocker though. Don't jump to conclusions and name calling without even knowing the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Dude you have no idea. I own both cars. I have had them both to the track and know what I have. The LT1 6speed is a stocker that runs 14.20's at 98 mph which is right on the money for a stocker, nothing wrong with that. But my L98 Iroc runs consistently in the 13.90's at 99 mph with less gear and an auto. They are stout pieces not to be taken lightly. On the street with my wife driving the Iroc (since it's the auto in this case) from 50 mph the Iroc consistently puts about 2 cars on the 97 Z28 everytime. Just the way it is man, not knocking the LT1's, hell I even own an LS1,,,,and I still like my LT1,,,,but a fact is a fact, and in my case our LT1 is the slowest of the 4 Fbodies we own. Keep in mind it's a bone stocker though. Don't jump to conclusions and name calling without even knowing the facts.
    u got a fast l98 then, anything can be, u cant muster any better than a 14.2 outta that lt1??

It's just a stocker LT1, a convertable at that, with a 3580 lbs. weight at 1/2 tank of gas,,,,with my 200 lbs. butt in there it's a 3780 lbs. race weight,,,which is about typical for most of my cars anyway.

My Iroc has a slight weight advantage at 3440 + me so a 3640 lbs. race weight. About 140 lbs. difference between the cars,,,but still the LT1 has alot more going for it,,,,gears, transmission, a better designed engine with a better intake and cylinder heads, more compression, more camshaft etc, etc...

But my Iroc seems to run a little better than most TPI cars, although it only had 50,000 original miles on it,,,most running around nowadays are pretty much ran into the ground and worn out. Not many low mileage ones left that really give a good example of how these cars used to run.

It's just a snappy running TPI car, I can't really explain it more than that.

But ya, 14.20's from my LT1 is about right on the money from most road test times back in the day when they were new, even the mph is spot on from most. As a matter of fact, I ran accross another 97 LT1 at the track while I was running my 02 SS camaro,,,this was a hardtop car, 6-speed as well, and a very nice low mileage example, one of the cleaner ones I have seen in a while,,,it was still bone stock as well,,,when we lined up he turned a respectable 14.40 at 97 mph,,,,again very typical of a stock LT1,,,,I think his best run that day was in the 14.30's at 98 mph so my vert runs about right for a stocker. Keeping in mind this is all street tire stuff,,,,some stickies would nab a high 13 second run,,,,but my Iroc didn't have that advantage either,,,and the 7.5 rear wouldn't like it anyway.

Sorry gents, we should get back on topic. So did this happen yet Andrew?

Black
    01 Camaro SS

I thought all RS models were V8s?

The time for the LT1 Z sounds right. I've taken a LT1 Z and a SS on the street in my Imp. The Z was when I was runnin mid 14s and I took him out of the hole but he started to pull on me when we hit about 80. The SS was when I was a bit more modded and ran a best of 13.9. I walked away from him even w/ a ton of wheel spin. But we both spun out of the hole pretty badly.

A 13.90 in a TPI car w/ only headers. The track gods must have been royaly smiling on you that day.....
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

I do remember getting pissed off at this guy in a red 90-92 camaro 305 5 speed TPI that kept beating my all after market 89 formula (lots of stuff, even a blueprinted 350 from Summit). The guy had a flowmaster muffler and K&Ns....

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    Not in the 4th generations. They are V6. RS=Real Slow

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    although some v8s still had the rs package. it goes both ways... i just dont understand why

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Don't they make a V8? I know for a fact the older body styles were V8s and I know they did not make them in the new gen. I thought at least some of them were V8s? Now that I actually think about it I saw one at the track last night! No way that thing was a V6 the way it sounded but plain as day RS badges on the side of it.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Don't they make a V8? I know for a fact the older body styles were V8s and I know they did not make them in the new gen. I thought at least some of them were V8s? Now that I actually think about it I saw one at the track last night! No way that thing was a V6 the way it sounded but plain as day RS badges on the side of it.
    yea they make RS v6s and RS v8s. i just dont know what the hell the difference is. the majority of RS's are v6's tho

The time for the LT1 Z sounds right. I've taken a LT1 Z and a SS on the street in my Imp. The Z was when I was runnin mid 14s and I took him out of the hole but he started to pull on me when we hit about 80. The SS was when I was a bit more modded and ran a best of 13.9. I walked away from him even w/ a ton of wheel spin. But we both spun out of the hole pretty badly.

A 13.90 in a TPI car w/ only headers. The track gods must have been royaly smiling on you that day.....
    That 13.90 pass was easily repeatable in that car, even with 2.2 60 foot times. Thats pretty much the norm for a good L98 TPI (350) back in the day when they were new. When mine was a bone stocker it went 14.40's all day long. I only added shorty headers which really wakes these TPI cars up,,,and an Edelbrock cat back system, thats it. It only had 50,000 miles on it, still smelled new. Buddy of mine still has his, with a 3.27 gear and auto his is bone stock and ran a best of 14.23, can't remember the mph, his was actually a little quicker than mine when I was stock, but my car came with crappy 2.77 gears but with the long runner intakes these cars had, they were strong down low so it didn't hurt the car too bad,,,,it ran out of breath at 5,000 rpms, but thats where the car shifted on it's own anyway,,,it all worked pretty good together.

Thats the problem with people comparing times today with old TPI cars,,,most have over 100,000 miles easily and have been run hard. There are very few low mile TPI cars left that still have life left in them like mine did.

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    yea they make RS v6s and RS v8s. i just dont know what the hell the difference is. the majority of RS's are v6's tho
    I am pretty sure the V8 had RS ground effects, but no RS label.

Its basically a Z28 with RS junk, that says Z28.

Thread Information