Black
    2001 camaro SS

mid 11's posible

Hello everyone, my current mods are K&N,slp lid,custome tune,tower brace,
    lt headers/ORY/borla,nitto dr, subframe connectors and currently running 12.85 at 108. To hit 11.5 im thinkin ford 9" with 370 gears, 3200 stall and a cam (not sure what kind yet). Will this get me mid to high 11's? I was also considering heads but im still thinking about it.
    Last edited by william SS; 05-10-2007 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by william SS
    Will this get me mid to high 11's? I was also considering heads but im still thinking about it....
    If I had to do it all over again, I would have had my stock heads worked over properly. Don't waste your money on aftermarket heads, the factory one's have enormous potential. Don't go too big with your camshaft selection, and try to limit your rear gears to no lower (higher, numerically) than 3.55's....

The 9" rear itself won't place you into the elevens, but it will help you a great deal by not grenading all over the track while your doing so lol. It's all about an engine's symmetry. Focus on that, and you'll easily be in the tens....

black
    1998 z28 camaro

I'm just going to ask this. why no 3.73's? that's a good number not extremely bad on gas like 4.10's are. and they are decent for dragging.

Quote Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing
    I'm just going to ask this. why no 3.73's? that's a good number not extremely bad on gas like 4.10's are. and they are decent for dragging.
    Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'd even consider throwing on a set of 3.73's on my own ride. But nowadays though, it's not really needed with today's cam technology. He can easily achieve his goals, without such sacrifice. I'm also speaking from a boosted perspective as well. The lower the gear, numerically, the heavier the load, the faster the spool (which is a route that everyone, sooner or later, winds up contemplating). But again, even without the boost, 3.73's aren't really needed.....

black
    1998 z28 camaro

ok. I was debating 3.73's for my next mod after my next deployment. I had them in my 96 TA and they really helped. so I figured put them on my 98 and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
    ok. I was debating 3.73's for my next mod after my next deployment. I had them in my 96 TA and they really helped. so I figured put them on my 98 and call it good.
    You could do that, but a lot of times it has nothing to do with gearing. I'll give you an example. My good friend got his hands on an LS1 Camaro last year, and didn't like the pull immediately off idle. Thinking that lower gearing would solve the problem, he installed 4.10's, and was very happy....

Another friend got his hands on an LS1 Camaro, and was experiencing the very same thing. He contemplated gears as well, but before doing so, I talked him into tuning the stock PCM parameters. Leaning out the MAF sensor, among other things, allowed the latter's car to pull on the former. Mind you, they were both basically stock when they ran them....

Too many variables to honestly say what gear is best...

Black
    2001 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
    You cant put 373 in a ford 9" thats why i was going to do 370 or 411

black
    1998 z28 camaro

yea i know but I've always been fond of 3.73's. and my car won't be stock when I get back from this deployment. should be pushing around 400 rwhp. so the acceleration won't be much of a problem. but gears can help.

Black
    2001 camaro SS

The title says 11.5 then 10's? Because i was originally asking if i could get in the 11's with those mods then would 100 shot get me in the 10's? Because i have a kit sitting in my garage so i was just curious. But i changed the question.
    Last edited by william SS; 05-11-2007 at 12:27 PM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Just put a real nitrous kit a good fuel pump the 3.73 gears and a pair of Mickey drag radials and you should EASYLY be in the mid 11's with stock cam and convertor.
    and on the 9" if you only do that swap you'll loose ET be cause the mechanical friction. It takes more horsepower to turn the 9" than your stack 10 bolt.
    And unless your dumping the clutch at 6000 (which your not cause your an automatic) you should not worry about your rear end at this point!!
    I have customers cars going low 11's ALL day with stock rearends blowing 150 right out of the gate.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Provided you can hook it PI garuntees a 1/2 second drop in 1/4 time with their 3500 stalls. I just finished my 3500 PI stall and 9 inch install yesterday (4.10 gears). Haven't taken it to the track yet to see as I got a few other things to sort out (speedo calibration for one car shuts off at 130 on the speedo which is waaay off), but I can definately tell from seat of the pants that the drive is night and day and the difference in how the car moves is huge! Word to the wise if you are keeping your 4L60E spend some money on the trans while installing the stall. The 4L60E's input drum assembly is horribly weak and you will definately break it sometime soon without beefing it up especially if you approach the low 11/high 10 area. Mine had a crack in it behind my realatively meager mods so I got the Art Carr input drum set up.

Thread Information