Thread: wider tires...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

wider tires...

i switched out my factory rear wheels for a set of 275/ 40 17s rubber on 17x9.5 inch wheels and i had them on for a few months. now i have the stock wheels back on because im getting drag radials mounted on the 17 inch wheels (nitto 555rs).
    im all over the road it seems like so my question is by me having a sort of staggered setup, did i throw off the alignment? do i need to adjust anything like camber angle and toe in? it just feels a bit sloppy jallopy...
    could it be a result of dragging my feet putting my sfc's in?

help is greatly appreciated.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

well at first glance it seems like maybe you didnt tighten your lug nuts, dont laugh at me i have seen this happen. i dunno check that lol. as for switchin back and forth you should not feel that big of a difference such as weavin etc.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    well at first glance it seems like maybe you didnt tighten your lug nuts, dont laugh at me i have seen this happen. i dunno check that lol. as for switchin back and forth you should not feel that big of a difference such as weavin etc.
    my lugs are as tight as sin, as i too have done the same thing!! thanks for the thought though.

i called a shop by my house and they say i need an alignment, but they didnt say anything after i told them i do my own work and they wouldnt be getting any of my money. i kind of feel like a dick now.

anyone else have an opinion about this?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

so, you have the 17 wheels on the front and the 16s on the back, if i'm reading correctly. have you checked the tire pressure in the 16" tires? also, you have created an oversteer situation. the fronts handle better than the rear. can cause what you are feeling.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

?? im clueless lol

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    so, you have the 17 wheels on the front and the 16s on the back, if i'm reading correctly. have you checked the tire pressure in the 16" tires? also, you have created an oversteer situation. the fronts handle better than the rear. can cause what you are feeling.
    sorry for the confusion here.

i have the stock 16''s on the front, and then i got a set of 17'' wheels with a 275/40 tire and those went on the rear. i kept it this way for a few months while doing other things.

now the 17s have come off because a drag radial is getting mounted on them, thus i had to put the stock rear 16s back on, and the car isnt handling well at all. it sort of floats under light acceleration and is acting very much like its off alignment. kind of pulls to the right. when i got it with the factory wheels it never pulled, and when i put the 17s on the rear it never pulled. now that the factory wheels are on all 4 corners its pulling and floating.

maybe a toe in adjustment?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

toe will not cause a pull. one thing is you are used to the way the 17" wheels handled. now, it isn't as responsive. it's not alignment related. what tells you this is it wasn't doing this until you put the 16" wheels on. it's tire related.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    toe will not cause a pull. one thing is you are used to the way the 17" wheels handled. now, it isn't as responsive. it's not alignment related. what tells you this is it wasn't doing this until you put the 16" wheels on. it's tire related.
    i hear what your saying. at first i was thinking it was purely psychological but i dont remember it being so floaty when i first got it, and believe me, i drove it just about everywhere at every speed in every condition!

the tires may have suffered by being on the floor of my garage with the constant weather change st. louis provides but i cant be sure in what ways. still looking into all of this.

thanks for all the help!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

did you check tire pressure?

how long ago did you put the 17" on?

Pewter
    2000 z28

both tires were around 30 psi.

the 17s were on for about 3-4 months. im having trouble remembering my own name, sorry.

i totally agree about the difference in feel, its just more excessive of a difference than i remember.

Thread Information